Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a mobility scooter to aid in getting around. I have permanent sciatica nerve damage and I can only walk a city block or so.

My question is I think the government will pay some of the cost. I am wondering about the process.

Will the government pay a share of any model I want to buy or just a basic one ?

Do I just make an appointment with a therapist and then apply ? I already qualify for a Disability Tax Credit for income taxes.

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
^ sags, you might consider searching Carverman's posts if no one else on the forum can give you input.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks....I called some of the approved suppliers and they tell me it is a complicated slow process and barely worth the effort.

An examination and then approval for the lowest cost solution for the problem........maybe even a walking stick LOL, and they will pay a portion of that.

So, I am looking at used ones. I want a model that will do what I need to do and it will be expensive one.

I like the idea because it doesn't involve licencing, helmets, or insurance and some of the good ones clip along at 15 kms an hour.

I will see what I can get for a good price. I see some sold on estate sales but got to find a good one.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I once owned an electric bike. I liked the big tire because of Steetcar tracks in Toronto.
It was heavy. I rode it with confidence.
I bolted a green Loblaw grocery tub over the rear tire.
I bought 18-Wheeler trailer sized clearance lights to serve as rear signal lights attached them to the Loblaw box/tub.
I like having brake and signal lights up high so that drivers in downtown (bumper to bumper) traffic, people can see my brake and signal. I added a wide brake light and that too was attached to the Loblaw basket.
I was well lighted up at night driving, I shone pretty good.
Paid 2 thousand, 8 years ago.
I have since sold it. At age 72, It is too heavy for me to handle now.

I don't know your personal particulars but an electric TRIKE seems interesting.
I would like to own a covered Trike, but I live in apartment building now.

I never owned one of those scooter chairs on wheels. I see many during my travels around town. I would want one that could trip through 1 or 2 inch snow. Also, puddle splash.

Covered Trike :

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
In the city we used to live in some guy used to drive around on a garden tractor with his wife sitting in a trailer.

The cops stopped them so many times that they gave up. The guy just kept on driving.........LOL.

The nice thing about the "mobility" designation tag is that you can drive them anywhere without hassles. Go downtown, into a store, around a park walkway, down the sidewalk, sports events, festivals........pretty much anywhere you want to go.

Anything else has a lot of restrictions and hassles.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Lots of options, but few that don't require a license, helmet or insurance and can legally be ridden on the sidewalk or in stores.
I gotta have a roof for rain, I got to have a heated cab for winter.
Don't many stores supply those little scooters to trip around the store?
----
Maybe buy a Trike and then buy a trailer and put the scooter in it and haul it around with you so that you could use it in a store? :)

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hook up the disability scooter with heated snowmobile grips and wear a snowmobile suit. Get a canvas top custom made.

You will look :cool: and be warm. sign up for CAA and if you get stuck in the snow call for a tow..........:)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hook up the disability scooter with heated snowmobile grips and wear a snowmobile suit. Get a canvas top custom made.

You will look :cool: and be warm.
I did not need a licence to drive my e-bike.
That is why I bought it.
I used it for grocery shopping because I did not own a car.
It had Bluetooth.
I think maximum speed of 32 km/h in Ontario.
But, if I was buying one again, it would need to be a trike and rain proof (a cab) at least.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
E-bikes are fine, but you can't ride them in a store, or into a sports arena or baseball stadium, (the walking ramps in those places are killers for sciatica sufferers).

You have to wear a helmet and you have to ride them on the road, which I have no interest in doing. The rules are easier with a mobility scooter.

The one I pointed out goes 16 kmh. That is fast enough for me. I have vehicles available for other travel. I just want to putter along everywhere I can get to.

I think it has an umbrella holder too !

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Are you saying that the Gatsby thing you linked to is actually what you call a scooter?
They would allow this in a store?
On apartment elevator?
Speed is 16 miles per hour? (half speed of an e-bike)
Very attractive for a scooter.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It is a legal mobility scooter, sold in Canada as a mobility aid, so can they stop people from using it ?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I don't think so. If it is legal it is legal.
I am still in shock to see they make scooters that my Grandma used to trip around on look so great.

·
Registered
14,055 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup........things have really changed.

If you Google custom mobility scooters it gets pretty wild. People with lots of money to spend don't really care about the cost and want something different.

My son knows a guy who is very wealthy and lives on a big acreage estate in the country. This is what he uses to pull a garden trailer around his pathways.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts