Canadian Money Forum banner
181 - 187 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
The TSX is up 15% ytd and gold is down 13% negating all the gains. IMO I never got gold. Bitcoin has replaced it as a diversifier and has many other additional benefits - a currency, better rising investment, storer of value etc. Warren Buffet calls gold a big block of material that just sits there and produces nothing and pays no dividend.
Starting to feel this way as well

·
Registered
21,717 Posts
The TSX is up 15% ytd and gold is down 13% negating all the gains. IMO I never got gold. Bitcoin has replaced it as a diversifier and has many other additional benefits - a currency, better rising investment, storer of value etc. Warren Buffet calls gold a big block of material that just sits there and produces nothing and pays no dividend.
Perhaps it's time for you to invest in bitcoin Jimmy

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Perhaps it's time for you to invest in bitcoin Jimmy
You should too. Gold is an awful investment according to Buffet. Bitocin is getting more and more accepted in ecommerce and has a growing market. Gold peaks at ~ $1900 then crashes . Looks like it is in its crash phase again and time to get out now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
You should too. Gold is an awful investment according to Buffet. Bitocin is getting more and more accepted in ecommerce and has a growing market. Gold peaks at ~ $1900 then crashes . Looks like it is in its crash phase again and time to get out now.
Gold has been around for a long time and it's role is to protect purchasing power in a very long term. Another great investor Ray Dalio recommends 7% allocation to Gold, which is what I currently have. I have included Bitcoin as part of my diversified portfolio as well, but a smaller allocation of 1.5%. I may add to it in future, when Bitcoin is out of favor. Every asset has periods of underperformance, no need to jump in and out of an asset class and chase performance. My approach is an annual rebalancing and adding more to my losers, than my winners to bring back the chosen target allocation. This approach has worked well for me in the past 14 years.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Not again @Jimmy 😑😑😑.
Although both Gold and Cryptocurrency are money in itself, where they are not reliant on trust of a government. Gold is more useful as a hedge against social unrest and societal collapse, because when societal collapse happen, you will not have the power grid and internet to verify and trade crypyocurrency. This mean if we become Zimbabwe or Venezuela (out of control inflation), gold and other precious metals are more useful.

However, I also don't think crypto is a scam in itself (although there are many scam in the crypto world), it is way too early to make a judgment. I need to see more track record before I make a judgment and make my investment decision.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Gold is more useful as a hedge against social unrest and societal collapse, because when societal collapse happen, you will not have the power grid and internet to verify and trade crypyocurrency. This mean if we become Zimbabwe or Venezuela (out of control inflation), gold and other precious metals are more useful.
Although I agree in principle.. crypto seems to have the most adoption per capita in countries with the most civil unrest

Reality is you can see people dancing in Kabul today on social media even while surrounded by war. Reality is you can see people partying in Lebanon today on social media even though their fiat is toilet paper. I have been in countries with civil unrest where you can walk by an exploded car 1 minute and a birthday party the next. I do agree ammo and gold are the harder money but even the Taliban have electricity and internet today believe it or not

Reality is life goes on very different than you see on TV and societal collapse is a very slow process. The US is even on that slow trajectory imho

181 - 187 of 187 Posts