Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My home search is still primarily in the virtual stage, as we're waiting a little longer before we'll be ready to buy. I have enjoyed looking online though, and figure it will help with the style of house and neighbourhood we want once we have narrowed our price point and are serious about buying.

In all this online viewing I have noticed a few things that many people do with pictures of the bathrooms:

-Leave the lid and sometimes seat of the toilet up. Why??? It makes me cringe. Is this how all of these people normally leave their toilets, or is this done for the pictures? Is no one concerned about bacteria? Sure, it's still aerosolized when you flush with the lid down, but it's at least reduced, and at least you won't drop something in the toilet.

-There are fuzzy toilet seat covers and the fuzzy mats going around the toilet. Do people actually use these microbe breeding grounds? They make me shudder. Maybe it's just a staging thing, but they aren't encouraging me to buy a house!

-Have a near empty roll of toilet paper. These tend to also be the lid/seat up pictures. It just reminds me of a place where 20-something males live, which is not the type of house I want to buy! How difficult is it to stick on a full roll before a picture?

·
Banned
693 Posts
This is a concern?

"Well honey, the house is in a great neighbourhood, a good price, and seems to have everything we need,"

"BUT THE TOILET SEAT WAS UP! OHHH MY GOD WE CAN'T BUY THIS HOUSE!"

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm just amused that people will spend who knows how much on staging, but they can't be bothered to put the seat down and have a full roll of TP for the pictures! I don't expect the TP to be a full roll when looking at houses, but when there's only a few squares left for a picture, I notice! It wouldn't let influence what I buy, but I do comment out loud when looking at the pictures!

My husband actually agrees with me about the lid being down!

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
If you are buying a house consider nothing more than location and price....I wouldn't even count the bedrooms.

·
Banned
693 Posts
I'm just amused that people will spend who knows how much on staging, but they can't be bothered to put the seat down and have a full roll of TP for the pictures! I don't expect the TP to be a full roll when looking at houses, but when there's only a few squares left for a picture, I notice! It wouldn't let influence what I buy, but I do comment out loud when looking at the pictures!

My husband actually agrees with me about the lid being down!
He says that to keep the peace. Nothing more. Try having a 4 year old boy in the house. The lid stays up for a reason.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
I even saw a listing that had a pic of the tenant sitting on the couch. I guess he didn't care to move as he wasn't getting anything from the potential sale.

·
Banned
1,603 Posts
My home search is still primarily in the virtual stage, as we're waiting a little longer before we'll be ready to buy. I have enjoyed looking online though, and figure it will help with the style of house and neighbourhood we want once we have narrowed our price point and are serious about buying.

In all this online viewing I have noticed a few things that many people do with pictures of the bathrooms:

-Leave the lid and sometimes seat of the toilet up. Why??? It makes me cringe. Is this how all of these people normally leave their toilets, or is this done for the pictures? Is no one concerned about bacteria? Sure, it's still aerosolized when you flush with the lid down, but it's at least reduced, and at least you won't drop something in the toilet.

-There are fuzzy toilet seat covers and the fuzzy mats going around the toilet. Do people actually use these microbe breeding grounds? They make me shudder. Maybe it's just a staging thing, but they aren't encouraging me to buy a house!

-Have a near empty roll of toilet paper. These tend to also be the lid/seat up pictures. It just reminds me of a place where 20-something males live, which is not the type of house I want to buy! How difficult is it to stick on a full roll before a picture?
Please list everything you can't stand, gotta feeling the list is going to be pretty long and the read is going to be pretty interesting ;-)

Now, if there was no toilet paper, dude in the middle of the crap noticed it and got up with his pants down to reach the paper in the cupboards, the toiled was full of crap and the seat up and at the very moment the real estate agent snapped the photo with his cell phone and uploaded on MLS, now that would be something ;-)

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
Koala
Take the pics as an indication that the sellers have poor judgment. This may show up in other aspects of the house.

And if there are any pics of tenants, ask if they come as part of the deal!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
At least I haven't come across one with an unflushed toilet - yet.
Haha I guess you're not shopping for deals then...if your feet don't stick to the floor and the aroma of eau de cat doesn't clear out your sinuses, it's not cheap enough to cash flow in Toronto.

Seriously last year there was a commercial unit for sale on Gerrard for 300K there was an old guy living in there for god knows how long and the listing mentioned the "buckets of hazardous waste"

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
Rachelle you always amaze me with your experience lol. Have you come across any dead bodies in your job as a property manager?LOL

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Homerhomer, I'll make sure I add to my list. This was just the toilets! :chuncky:
Berubeland, how bad does it have to be before the health board gets involved? Yuck!

·
Banned
321 Posts
Buying a home is a lot easier than selling. A buyer can walk in with a checklist and a few minutes, he is done checking out the house. imagine the plight of a seller (especially) with little kids still "living normally", with cooking, cleaning etc. there are a 101 things he needs to pay attention to before each showing. Ignoring the toilet seat, a half empty roll is probably the last thing in his mind.

·
Registered
6,805 Posts
When we bought our second home in London ON, The attractive 18yo blond daughter was asleep on the LR sofa with nothing but a sheet over her. Wife and female realtor were freaked when I reached over her to measure the size of the LR window! Focus man!

Many weeks later, the measurements came in handy when we made an stink bid that was eventually accepted. After much sweat equity, we sold 2 years later for 140% net of what we paid. It was a longer story but this is the net.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
When we bought our second home in London ON, The attractive 18yo blond daughter was asleep on the LR sofa with nothing but a sheet over her. Wife and female realtor were freaked when I reached over her to measure the size of the LR window! Focus man!
Lol. So what were her measurements? ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts