Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems weird to me that people look down on minivans because they are not “cool”. The 90s/00s soccer mom image has unfairly stayed with the minivan which in my opinion is the ultimate people carrier (or at least a 3rd row that can fit actual adults).

The only advantage I see to an SUV is looks, higher driving position and towing.

For example, although I like my Edge, I can’t see myself getting an Explorer or an Expedition over something like a Sienna.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
It was/is about image. Minivans are the most functional people/cargo carriers there are in that class of vehicle but became 'uncool'. We had one for about 15 years until after the kids left home, after which we moved to a mid-size SUV. The Honda and Toyota versions will likely be around for a long time to come yet. Maybe the new Kia and Chrysler as well. That is enough to choose from. Every New 2021 Minivan Ranked from Worst to Best

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
You seem very concerned about what people think of your vehicle. Why would you even care?

We kept our Camry for 17 years. Now it is a 2006 Accord and a 2007 Solara in the summer. Our current neighbours mostly have late model Lexus, Mercs, Audis, and Acuras in the drive. The occasional high end NA SUV. Many have two. A few Telsa's thrown in for good measure on the next street.

Do we care what they think about what we drive???? Not for a New York Minute. Why would we?

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
I like minivans! We have Sienna 2006 and it’s very comfortable! This Sumer we couple if times went to the cottages up north. We fitted 3 bikes, puddle boat and 3 suitcases 😁

·
Registered
8,758 Posts
Minivans are the most practical family haulers.
Most people love them.

I love the practicality of my Caravan, stow and go, integrated roof rack, that's wonderful.

However mine is a lemon, it's the worst most pathetic POS ever.
But you can't argue with the capability of it.

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
Funny how tastes change.

When I was in my 30s......a lot of people wanted one of these. They were a cool way to get around and hang around a ball diamond, soccer field, or hockey rink while the kid was playing in a tournament. They were great for a trip to the beach or an overnight fishing or boating trip.

Now you Google "customized vans" and you get pictures of shoes.

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
Car Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
We love the practically of mini vans but we’re one of those that never bought one. Mini vans are the most practical thing out there For day to day hauling. The other reasons we went with the SUV was because we drove through icy mountain roads to get to our cabin and at the time there was only one mini van with four wheel drive At the time.

there still an image with mini vans, it’s not cool, but I currently drive a little versa, so I don’t care. I do remember borrowing my brothers mini van and rocking out and getting a ot of very strange looks.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
We're nearly resigned on getting a minivan... maybe sigh. The new 21 Sienna and new 22 Kia Carnival are brand new overhauls of the design and they look pretty darn OK.

Van are about 10% cheaper than their 3-row same size (exterior size) equivalent, like the Explorer, Traverse, Pallisade, Highlander, etc. But have 2x more storage and usability.

To get the same people and cargo use you need to go all the way up to the full-size extended SUVs like the Suburban or Expedition MAX. Regular full size SUVs like a Tahoe or Expedition don't cut it -- they hold way less than a minivan. Full size SUV are about 1.5 - 2x more expensive than minivans.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
However mine is a lemon, it's the worst most pathetic POS ever.
But you can't argue with the capability of it.
The problem is you bought a Dodge Chrysler product... like we did. My one and only product I would ever own from that garbage company. Folks who had Hondas especially drove the bejesus out of them and they lasted forever. I think most of the models that still exist today will still be around for the longer term. There still is a market and they are practical for those needing more than 4 seating positions. Just like sports sedans/coupes will appeal to a segment of the market.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
My former boss had one of those family vans a number of years ago.. He bought it through his BIL who worked for GM. After two years he said the thing rattled like a 10 year old used car. Too much time in the dealer for warranty work. He kept it three years and then dumped it. The discounted price that he paid did not make up for all the problems and the poor quality.

He had two choices. Buy another discounted GM product through his BIL or buy a decent product. He passed on Chrysler. He bought a Honda. From day one he could not believe the difference in quality and performance between his former van and the Honda. Day and night. His view was that the increase in price more than paid for itself in less maintenance costs and longer service. He said that he knew they made the right decision after one week of ownership. His short list came down to Toyota and Honda. He said the Toyota salesperson was a jerk so he went with Honda.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Continuing slightly off course.... Ten? years ago, I was part of a hiking group. One of the rotating carpoolers had the Pontiac version of the GM minivan (forget the model name). I can concur it was pure junk. Those still wanting to own a minivan need to stick with Honda or Toyota....seriously!

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
We love the practically of mini vans but we’re one of those that never bought one. Mini vans are the most practical thing out there For day to day hauling. The other reasons we went with the SUV was because we drove through icy mountain roads to get to our cabin and at the time there was only one mini van with four wheel drive At the time.

there still an image with mini vans, it’s not cool, but I currently drive a little versa, so I don’t care. I do remember borrowing my brothers mini van and rocking out and getting a ot of very strange looks.
You have the point! Just driving in snowy road can be an issue... we got stuck several times on small roads in winter up north

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
Those still wanting to own a minivan need to stick with Honda or Toyota....seriously!
I really don't do brand loyalty because every company has issues but rather research the specific vehicles for issues. Generally you can start with car complaint sites and dig deeper from there. Many other things to consider as well, how long are you keeping it, initial cost, etc, all come into play.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
Our Dodge Caravan was AWD and did per
You have the point! Just driving in snowy road can be an issue... we got stuck several times on small roads in winter up north
Our '90s Dodge Caravan had AWD and was good in the snow (most of its years in Calgary). These days, at least a few makes have AWD, Toyota among them.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
I really don't do brand loyalty because every company has issues but rather research the specific vehicles for issues. Generally you can start with car complaint sites and dig deeper from there. Many other things to consider as well, how long are you keeping it, initial cost, etc, all come into play.
I agree one has to research the specific models and work through complaint sites, but odds are Chrysler, aka Fiat Crysler, aka Stellantis, is going to have a disproportionate percentage of dogs. They really needed to drop everything except their Jeep and Ram lines and even they have disproportionate issues. People still buy them due to discounted price but there is a reason for discounted price. The overall statistics for manufacturers don't lie.

·
Registered
12,035 Posts
Our Dodge Caravan was AWD and did per

Our '90s Dodge Caravan had AWD and was good in the snow (most of its years in Calgary). These days, at least a few makes have AWD, Toyota among them.
Our Sienna from 2006 and doesn't have AWD :( . When we buy next minivan (only Toyota or maybe some European brand) - I'll make sure that it's AWD.

·
Super Moderator
4,446 Posts
I agree one has to research the specific models and work through complaint sites, but odds are Chrysler, aka Fiat Crysler, aka Stellantis, is going to have a disproportionate percentage of dogs.
True enough, some brands have had bad track records. Just took a quick peek at dodge caravan and it seems the complaint numbers after 2016 are very low (redesign or new model in 2017?) but previous years were not very good indeed.

·
Registered
16,574 Posts
But.......some of the Japanese vans are just sooooo ugly.

The new Toyota Sienna is a pretty cool vehicle......but costs like over $50,000.

The guy doesn't like the front end, which I like and it is pretty trick inside.

Personally I like clean sharp straight lines and none of that old school "malibu" roundy bubble look.

I wonder if it comes with a full length power moonroof.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts