Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make my budget as precise as possible, I need to know how to calculate the minimum monthly payment on my Line of Credit. I asked two people of the bank, but no one knows how to calculate it...

Let's say I owe $10,000 right now and my interest rate is 5%. What will be the payment taken out of my bank account on July 12? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Unsecured lines of credit work a little different than a secured line of credit (like a HELOC). A HELOC requires interest only, but an unsecured LOC will require a min of 3% of balance payment/month (with CIBC anyways).

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unsecured lines of credit work a little different than a secured line of credit (like a HELOC). A HELOC requires interest only, but an unsecured LOC will require a min of 3% of balance payment/month (with CIBC anyways).
Mine is an unsecured one, then. It is with CIBC. I will calculate if 3% is the correct percentage. What does "unsecure" mean? Thanks.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Secured = secured against a physical asset, usually either the equity in your house ("home equity line of credit") or a CD or bond held at the issuing institution.

Unsecured = no physical asset is pledged as guarantee.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Secured = secured against a physical asset, usually either the equity in your house ("home equity line of credit") or a CD or bond held at the issuing institution.

Unsecured = no physical asset is pledged as guarantee.
No doubt about it, mine is unsecured.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts