Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
I have family in the UK and when I visit there the no charge international ATM is useful, especially as many ATMs in the UK don’t charge a fee for the user. So the primary benefit we use is the Visa. (As well as unlimited transactions and free e transfers but those are available else where).
I did a lot of side by side comparison of Tangerine and TD cards for travel and believe it or not Tangerine did much better. It is on Global Alliance network to avoid most ATM fees but the real kicker is it always got better FX rates than TD's "preferred rate" Similarly you can find better brokerages than TD. They are "banking" on your loyalty and hidden fees

*holds TD

·
Registered
225 Posts
tell me more. I’d like to hear what’s better....I’d consider switching if the offer was materially better.
I thought I was pretty thorough, but here's a point form summary:
1. Being able to use your emergency fund if there's an actually emergency without being immediately penalized with monthly fees
2. If you never need the emergency fund, at least it's earning enough interest to roughly keep up with inflation, instead of rotting away year after year
3. Big Banks like to whimsically change the terms of the agreement, one year it's $5K minimum, next year maybe it's $6K, or maybe the fees change from $20 to $30 month. So far I have not seen a "no fee" bank change their central tenet of not having fees.

·
Registered
225 Posts
i‘ll tell you how much I need....the need for only one logon.
When I consider that my parents used to drive into town (30 minute trip) to visit branches and do their banking, having to remember 2 or 3 passwords while I do banking in my pyjamas doesn't seem like a big problem.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
When I consider that my parents used to drive into town (30 minute trip) to visit branches and do their banking, having to remember 2 or 3 passwords while I do banking in my pyjamas doesn't seem like a big problem.
Yes, I remember in the early 70's on Fridays, it seemed everyone was paid their work cheque and you had to drive to the bank on the way home and stand in line for at least an hour to deposit it and update your bank book and get your cash for the week. Then you went home and paid all your bills by writing individual cheques and then walking to the mailbox. Home computers were about a decade away. Life has changed.

ltr

21 - 24 of 24 Posts