Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
me and my wife will possibly be doing in-vitro in the next year and I was wondering if someone had a link on claiming medical deductions...is there a limit? is there a benefit to one or the other claiming? can we both claim part?

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
The expenses give rise to a tax credit, not a tax deduction. The amount of the credit will depend on your income.

The tax credit is non-refundable, so it can only be used to reduce your tax to zero.

There is a time limit on expenses -- they cannot be carried forward. Normally, it makes most sense to have the lower-income person claim the expense. You can split the expenses across two returns (or combine them on one return).

If you want to model the impact on your taxes, you can use the tax planner feature of tax software.

Hope that helps. If you have more specific questions, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Be careful when claiming medical expenses. My son had major surgery which meant he had to be in the hospital for very long time. I claimed all the expenses associated with the hospital stay...and was audited. I fought it but lost and it cost me about $10,000.

My advise is talk to your accountant.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
See s. 59 of this bulletin for a specific list of which expenses related to in vitro fertilization are qualifying medical expenses (qualifying for the medical expense credit, that is).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts