Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
Regarding "fair trial" ... Do you realize how much pressure will be on the doctors who gonna do his mental evaluation after Trudeau made his verdict?! If doctors find him mental, Trudeau will look idiot.
Again, for Trudeau political agenda , it should be terrorist and preferable member of "right wing white supermatist organization"
The standard for 'not criminally responsible' is very high indeed, and will just land you in a much-worse psychiatric facility.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 · (Edited)
It was a terrorist hate crime targeting a Muslim family.

PM Trudeau would have been advised by the investigating police, so he was accurate in his description of the attack.

In an interview with Global News, Chief Steve Williams of the London Police Service was reluctant to disclose the evidence police had gathered, but said it was quickly apparent Nathaniel Veltman had targeted a Muslim family.

“It was pretty clear from the investigation that occurred immediately at the scene, and like I said, there’s a number of witnesses,” Williams said.
“Then obviously we, as you know, arrested the accused a short distance away and we recovered the vehicle.

So without getting into the details of what evidence came from all that, we were fairly comfortable at an early stage attributing this to being a hate-motivated crime, and as I indicated, this family was targeted because of their Islamic faith.”

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
After reading more context from the London chief of police, I am satisfied to take his word for it that they have good reason to believe it was a hate crime. The day it happened though, there seemed to be quite a fog of misinformation.

I still do not believe it is responsible to be whipping people into a frenzy and saying absurd things like it is not safe for Muslims to be on the street because they will be killed. I live in a community that is 12% Muslim--this statement is so bonkers I can't even seriously address that anyone believes my neighbours should be hiding under their beds. They have no more to fear that the rest of us did after the incel van attack in Toronto a few years ago. Pitting Muslim Canadians against t he rest of the country is not helpful. We should be expressing solidarity and support for the senseless tragedy, rather that fixating on the ultimately irrelevant workings of the perpetrator's mind.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
It would tend to put a damper on the idea he is a member of the London KKK.
I think it's pretty clear he's not that. But remember, terrorism in the modern age is a different beast. It can involve online radicalization and people can be (very quietly and privately) absorbing material from extremists, online.

Anyway, it's too early to know what really happened in this guy's case.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Maybe JT shouldn't comment, but it doesn't really matter. Ultimately, this case will be trial by judges alone as it is too public (all over the news), so there are no way to select an unbiased jury. This will happen no matter what politicians say.

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Did you miss that his friend and co-worker is an Iranian lapsed Muslim, and said that he never had a problem?

People are being very irresponsible, engaging in race baiting.

This idiot has no business getting anywhere near the PMO. If anyone had any remaining doubts.
He is a real retard and I was shocked when he became the leader of 3rd biggest Canadian party... Does he knows at all how hijab looks like?!

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Muslim isn't a race, it's a religious affiliation. There are white Muslims.

People are so damned muddled on this topic.
Exactly! That what I wanted to write , but you were ahead of me :). Religion and race are 2 completely different things! There are tons of black Christians and Jews and white Muslims. My friend, probably "the whitest guy" I know, South African Afrikaner (whose whole family was killed by ANC thugs) converted to Islam before getting married with his Tunisian wife

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
I think it's pretty clear he's not that. But remember, terrorism in the modern age is a different beast. It can involve online radicalization and people can be (very quietly and privately) absorbing material from extremists, online.

Anyway, it's too early to know what really happened in this guy's case.
james , be realistic.... this 20 y.o. guy had no education, no any social media accounts, played "very loud" video games and worked part-time on eggs sorting facility //// Let's make him some commander of KKK or right wing terrorist organization.... (Hello Joseph Stalin LOL)

·
Registered
167 Posts
It was a terrorist hate crime targeting a Muslim family.

PM Trudeau would have been advised by the investigating police, so he was accurate in his description of the attack.

In an interview with Global News, Chief Steve Williams of the London Police Service was reluctant to disclose the evidence police had gathered, but said it was quickly apparent Nathaniel Veltman had targeted a Muslim family.

“It was pretty clear from the investigation that occurred immediately at the scene, and like I said, there’s a number of witnesses,” Williams said.
“Then obviously we, as you know, arrested the accused a short distance away and we recovered the vehicle.

So without getting into the details of what evidence came from all that, we were fairly comfortable at an early stage attributing this to being a hate-motivated crime, and as I indicated, this family was targeted because of their Islamic faith.”

There is significant difference between terrorism and hate-crime. So far there is a claim from chief of police that it is a hate-crime. Until the evidence is presented it isn't clear what it is, but there is no reason to not believe Chief Williams.
He didn't mention any evidence showing it is a terrorist attack though. Where did you get that idea from?

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
I would only call it a terrorist attack if it turns out that he was ideologically motivated, such as MAGA / white supremacist internet content, or right wing extremism, and the American far-right.

I suspect that will be the case, but it remains to be seen. Police will have to inspect his computers, search his home, etc.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Exactly. Until they find evidence it was a terrorist attack, PM should keep his mouth shut on the subject not to interfere with judicial process

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Maybe JT shouldn't comment, but it doesn't really matter. Ultimately, this case will be trial by judges alone as it is too public (all over the news), so there are no way to select an unbiased jury. This will happen no matter what politicians say.
Yeah, because that whole right to a jury trial shouldn't exist when the PM feels like spouting off.
Really what are your rights when people want to score political points.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Is it any different than when police hold a press conference about an arrest and lay out guns and ammunition etc on a table for the media to take pictures ?

Social media is here and people will talk about crimes on it. We have to deal with it now and juries do so all the time.

Describing the crime as a hate crime or a terrorist attack or both is highly subjective and left up to the police and prosecutors.

There have been many cases where people disagreed with the decision of the crown attorney on the laying of charges.

I think this is a terrorist hate crime because he targeted Muslims (hate crime) and he did it in a public place (terrorism).

Others can disagree on the designation, based on their own perception.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Personally, I am in favor of important trials being broadcast to the public.

If we are going to allow media to tweet and write about what happened in court......we should be able to judge for ourselves without the media's bias filtering the coverage.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
I would only call it a terrorist attack if it turns out that he was ideologically motivated, such as MAGA / white supremacist internet content, or right wing extremism, and the American far-right.

I suspect that will be the case, but it remains to be seen. Police will have to inspect his computers, search his home, etc.
Or he could be a far left Nazi, who knows, that's what the trial is for.

Personally I think if you're trying to randomly kill people because of a religious, racial or political opposition to them it's a both a hate crime and terrorism.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts