Canadian Money Forum banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Regarding "fair trial" ... Do you realize how much pressure will be on the doctors who gonna do his mental evaluation after Trudeau made his verdict?! If doctors find him mental, Trudeau will look idiot.
Again, for Trudeau political agenda , it should be terrorist and preferable member of "right wing white supremist organization"
Exactly. To make a statement as Trudeau did, without any information on the person's mental health or any knowledge of mechanical problems with the vehicle is unconscionable. It reveals how Trudeau reacts without thinking. Such a fool - you just don't do that as his positional influence has tainted any meaningful investigation and resolve.

ltr

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Semantics. You can replace 'jail' with 'closed institution'. You get locked up anyway.
Only until the illness is addressed.
Vince Li was a free man less than a decade after cutting off someones head on a Greyhound bus.

Myself I think it's tricky.

I think it can be abused.
If the mental illness is real then they're really not responsible.

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
He should be grateful that Canada doesn't have a death penalty and now tax payers will have to pay for his free lodging and food. Bring back death penalty in Canada.
Homicide rate doesn't depend on death penalty or laws about weapon owning... In US , in many states there is death penalty and Homicide rate is 5.35, in Canada with no death penalty Homicide rate is 1.68, in Israel, with no death penalty and more than half of population having real weapon , Homicide rate is 1.36.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Only until the illness is addressed.
Vince Li was a free man less than a decade after cutting off someones head on a Greyhound bus.

Myself I think it's tricky.

I think it can be abused.
If the mental illness is real then they're really not responsible.
True. Until the illness is determined to be cured.
Anyway, separation of judicial from executive branch has clearly been violated by PM.
Hopefully the jury and legal system can put PM and his incompetence on ignore and follow the fair process. Don't need any cases of mistrial here

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
There have been a series of mass attacks over the years which give Muslims a good reason to be anxious. There is a pattern here

In 2017, a gunman killed 6 people and wounded 5 more in a Quebec City mosque attack
In 2017, a man in Oregon killed 2 people on a train who were trying to defend a woman from an Islamophobic attack
In 2017, a man in London UK drove a van into worshippers leaving a mosque, killing one
In 2019, an Australian gunman killed 51 people and injured 40 in Christchurch New Zealand, attacking mosques

That attack in Oregon hit close to home, because I frequently took this particular train. Every time the train stopped at the station with the murders, I thought of that MAGA white supremacist knifing the two men who were just trying to protect the woman. It caused me a lot of stress.

That is the point of terrorism after all. It's someone with an ideology (in this case, white supremacy and trying to keep "white Christian nations" pure) who uses violence to force their ideology on society.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
All government employees should be banned from wearing religious symbols, like in QC and in France. Never heard that Catholics are exempt and what kind of "symbols" Catholic wear?!
necklaces depicting the crucifixion or a Cross are popular. As are rosary bracelets.

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
In 2017, the Conservatives and Bloc voted against a Liberal proposed anti-Islamaphobia law. Conservative leader Erin O'Toole voted against the law.

Now they make public statements against Islamaphobia. Maybe today they will support a new law.

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
In 2017, the Conservatives and Bloc voted against a Liberal proposed anti-Islamaphobia law. Conservative leader Erin O'Toole voted against the law.

Now they make public statements against Islamaphobia. Maybe today they will support a new law.
This is a ridiculous law!

·
Registered
167 Posts

Yeah, that wasn't a law. Get your facts straight
Discrimination on base of religion is already illegal.

It was a motion to condemn. And motions to condemn are absolutely useless.
Just ask Trudeau. He refused to condemn genocide of muslims

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Yeah, that wasn't a law. Get your facts straight
Discrimination on base of religion is already illegal.
Exactly! So why to create specific law about Islamophobia?!

France , who had extreme wave of Islamic antisemitism last decade introduced a very good law "On 20 February 2019, President Macron said that France would recognise anti-Zionism as a form of anti-Semitism. "

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
There have been a series of mass attacks over the years which give Muslims a good reason to be anxious. There is a pattern here

In 2017, a gunman killed 6 people and wounded 5 more in a Quebec City mosque attack
In 2017, a man in Oregon killed 2 people on a train who were trying to defend a woman from an Islamophobic attack
In 2017, a man in London UK drove a van into worshippers leaving a mosque, killing one
In 2019, an Australian gunman killed 51 people and injured 40 in Christchurch New Zealand, attacking mosques
and how about
you can check other countries and will find a lot ...

Canada is also famous for signpost "No Dogs and Jews" that existed until late 50's..

Statistics Canada found police-reported hate crimes against Jewish people accounted for the highest number of religious-based hate crimes in the country in 2019 at 296 incidents, while religious-based hate crimes against Muslims tallied at 181. ...
2021 is going to beat all previous years, as only in May 2021, there were more anti-Semitic actions than for whole 2020

·
Registered
11,205 Posts

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
We definitely have to see more details. An officer initially reported that the suspect was wearing a vest that appeared to be "like body armour", which I think is one reason many are suspecting this was a deliberate act of violence.

Then again, police have been known to make mistakes.

The description of the suspect as a "quiet, friendly, home-schooled Christian kid" does make me wonder what kind of values and influences (perhaps even internet radicalization) he might have been under. A religious person who is isolated from society in their formative years MAY not be open-minded to changes in society. For some parents, that's one point of home-schooling; to insulate the child from society's changing values.
Did you miss that his friend and co-worker is an Iranian lapsed Muslim, and said that he never had a problem?

People are being very irresponsible, engaging in race baiting.

"Our Canada is a place where you can't walk down the streets if you wear a hijab because you will be killed—this is our Canada. We can't deny it," says Jagmeet Singh re: London attack. "How many more families will be killed before we do something?" the NDP leader asks.
This idiot has no business getting anywhere near the PMO. If anyone had any remaining doubts.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
If a Muslim had done a such thing, you would definitely call him a terrorist but now you are debating if it is a hate crime or terrorist attack because he is a white boy?
Uh... no? People looked at the ethnicity of the victims and assumed it was a hate crime and called it terrorism. We don't know anything conclusive about his motivations. Race baiting is not a good thing to engage in.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
I'm concerned with the PM publicly proclaiming his guilt he'll have a strong argument that every potential juror is biased against him.

yeah, I don't understand why someone would be scared he's going to get off... the courts in Canada aren't that bad.
Yes, there is absolutely no risk he won't face full brunt of the law for his crimes.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts