Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The largest mass murders in our cities history happened last Sunday evening, in a islamaphobe terrorist attack.

Today, PM Trudeau came to London to pay his respects. I heard Doug Ford is also here.

We must root out anti-Muslim sentiment wherever it appears. It is ugly and dangerous.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Perhaps the driver had relatives in France, you will never know what was the reason.
A 19 tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowdscelebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice. The driver was Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, a Tunisian resident of France. 87 people were killed. Police officials said he shouted “Allahu akbar” before he was shot by police.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
Yes, a horrible terrorist attack in London. Police have to become much better at finding these terrorists before they commit mass murders.

We don't know all the details yet, but I wonder if the attacker might be a right wing extremist/ white supremacist. These kinds of attacks have been on the rise in US & Canada since about 2016-2017, largely targeting Muslim, Jewish, and black victims.

We must root out anti-Muslim sentiment wherever it appears. It is ugly and dangerous.
You don't have to look very far sags. It's repeated on message forums and back when we had a Hot Button section, was part of the recurring daily chatter.

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
There is a great deal of hate and racism in Canada. People do not like to admit it. It is on and under the surface. It can be colour, race, faith, language sexual orientation...or a combination.. You name it. Seems to me to be rooted in fear and jealousy.

I have seen enough of of in private by various white people who like to wear their Christianity on the sleeves. But it is more that a little hollow. They are the ones that want to limit immigration to, among other things, white Europeans, Christian faith...what euphemistically call 'western values. I believe it will take a generation to change.

·
Registered
13,951 Posts
The largest mass murders in our cities history happened last Sunday evening, in a islamaphobe terrorist attack.

Today, PM Trudeau came to London to pay his respects. I heard Doug Ford is also here.

It's not clear to me that this was a hate crime or terrorist attack. People are jumping to conclusions, or exploiting the tragedy for political ends.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yeah, it all makes absolutely no sense.
The witnesses did say that truck was revving up though.
Either premeditation or complete panic, mistaking the pedals, etc.
Hopefully more facts come out soon and if it was targeted he can rot in prison

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
It's not clear to me that this was a hate crime or terrorist attack. People are jumping to conclusions, or exploiting the tragedy for political ends.
We definitely have to see more details. An officer initially reported that the suspect was wearing a vest that appeared to be "like body armour", which I think is one reason many are suspecting this was a deliberate act of violence.

Then again, police have been known to make mistakes.

The description of the suspect as a "quiet, friendly, home-schooled Christian kid" does make me wonder what kind of values and influences (perhaps even internet radicalization) he might have been under. A religious person who is isolated from society in their formative years MAY not be open-minded to changes in society. For some parents, that's one point of home-schooling; to insulate the child from society's changing values.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts

How about we root out ALL RACISM?

·
Registered
15,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Neighbors of the guy said he was always spouting off some anti-Muslim sayings.

He was also in conflict with his neighbors in the building because of his tendency for loud video games.

Police and witnesses say he was wearing body armor and a helmet of some sort.

I don't think there is any doubt that it was a deliberate attack on the Muslim family.

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
Neighbors of the guy said he was always spouting off some anti-Muslim sayings.

He was also in conflict with his neighbors in the building because of his tendency for loud video games.

Police and witnesses say he was wearing body armor and a helmet of some sort.

I don't think there is any doubt that it was a deliberate attack on the Muslim family.
Yeah, sounds like an *******.

Assuming he did it, throw him out.

Also if the neighbours are complaining about 'loud video games' he's either a super *******, or they're being selectively quoted.
FYI Most serious gamers use headsets.

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
If this little being isn't insane, then he's just pure evil. Labelling him as a "terrorist" doesn't justify that much hate to kill someone - here an entire family. And I'm sure he isn't going to be the last of his kind in that cult.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Wasn't he going to/from air-gun/paintball game? Aren't body armours used for those?
Figure we will find out soon enough. When you are a terrorist you don't hide your beliefs - you promote them. He will be given a day in court

·
Registered
7,378 Posts
The big concern here is that it is unlikely he will get a fair trial.
The Prime Minister himself came down and declared him guilty, the media is full of stories how hateful and evil he is.

For those who say it isn't terrorism, it most likely is.
If he drove his vehicle into them because they were muslim, it was a hate crime, and it was using violence to further a political agenda.
We all pretty much agree this was "bad terrorism"

Remember, you have to commit "good terrorism" to get off without consequences.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Because they were Muslim, it's assumed to be anti-muslim terrorism. However, how would he have known their religion? They might have been Hindu, for all he knew. It's not clear what his intent was. Maybe he hates East Indians, and didn't realize they were Pakistani.
The real need is to root out all racism, as Matt said.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Don't tell me the killer had a bad day.

Quebec has a law that forbids government employees from wearing religious symbols, Catholics are exempt.

And the Quebec Premier says there is no systemic racism.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Perhaps the driver had relatives in France, you will never know what was the reason.
A 19 tonne cargo truck was deliberately driven into crowdscelebrating Bastille Day on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice. The driver was Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel, a Tunisian resident of France. 87 people were killed. Police officials said he shouted “Allahu akbar” before he was shot by police.
If someone eats dogshit that doesn't mean you will have to eat it too.

·
Registered
925 Posts

If a Muslim had done a such thing, you would definitely call him a terrorist but now you are debating if it is a hate crime or terrorist attack because he is a white boy?

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
The big concern here is that it is unlikely he will get a fair trial.
The Prime Minister himself came down and declared him guilty, the media is full of stories how hateful and evil he is.
I have exactly same opinion. "
Almost immediately
PM have called the killings a 'terrorist attack'
Really?! Not only without trail, even without investigation, after 1st questioning.
After ...
"There is evidence that this was a planned, premeditated act, motivated by hate. It is believed that these victims were targeted because they were Muslim," said Detective Superintendent Paul Waight of the London Police. "There is no known previous connection between the suspect and the victims."

No doubt that Trudeau and his government are trying to fit it into their political agenda and limit freedom of speech

·
Registered
11,205 Posts
Don't tell me the killer had a bad day.

Quebec has a law that forbids government employees from wearing religious symbols, Catholics are exempt.

And the Quebec Premier says there is no systemic racism.
All government employees should be banned from wearing religious symbols, like in QC and in France. Never heard that Catholics are exempt and what kind of "symbols" Catholic wear?!

1 - 20 of 99 Posts