Canadian Money Forum banner

521 - 540 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
TDDI said the new shares should appear today, but mine haven’t shown up yet. Perhaps end of day.
Their investor relations and they said the shares will be distributed to the brokers today and should be in accounts in 3-5 business days.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Everything is very volatile. Pre-markets hit the limit multiple times at -5% but have been bouncing up to around -3%/-4%. Oil cratered -10% and now is up 1%.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Discussion Starter #526 (Edited)
It is just 1 month since I started this thread on Feb 23rd. Interesting to go back and read the posts on page 1. Obviously we (and our governments) had no idea of what was coming even on that late date.

What will things be like on April 23rd?

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
So is this the famous "dead cat bounce" I hear so much about? Or should we all jump back in while the prices are still low?

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
So is this the famous "dead cat bounce" I hear so much about? Or should we all jump back in while the prices are still low?
Investors are optimists, but I just don't think americans know what's going to hit them over the next month.
Maybe they're all ok with sacrificing their grandparents for the mighty dollar.

I'm surprised TSX is up so much.

·
Registered
15,883 Posts
What I remember from trading during the 2008 crash is that the crash comes with violent/giant moves both up and down. I wouldn't read too much into any single day (or week's) movements

·
Registered
62 Posts
Investors are optimists, but I just don't think americans know what's going to hit them over the next month.
Maybe they're all ok with sacrificing their grandparents for the mighty dollar.

I'm surprised TSX is up so much.
So much emotional over reaction to news that markets seem overbought and oversold even on a daily basis. I can see TSX rising on news of stimulus package but not 10%. But there is so much cash on the sidelines and lots of emotional investors so the gyrations continue.

But there is still so much negative news to come out in next couple months as cases and deaths sky rocket in the US and some of the economic numbers start coming out that confirm how the economy is being impacted that we could see even lower lows.

If this is the bottom, I'll miss it. Still waiting.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
The most likely scenario I heard on CNBC is that long term investors are buying companies with strong balance sheets, little debt, a good business model and solid management.

The private equity funds managers say they buy now.....buy when it drops down.....buy when it drops down......etc. They spread their money over various price points.

Then they wait 6 months or 20 years for the big bull market again. This is how people with lots of money they don't really need, make a lot more money they don't need.

US Treasury Secretary Steve Minuchin made his fortune buying distressed real estate and selling it later.

·
Registered
11,860 Posts
It will be interesting to see what Warren Buffet has been buying with his big stash of cash.

·
Registered
11,775 Posts
I'm too busy working to watch the markets during the day. Things are absolutely nuts. Now dealing with presumptive positive cases in several locations and resulting business disruption!

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
I think there is a good chance the bottom is in. This is big institutional buying today. And we're up quite a bit over the lows. I've been buying. I may be buying more tomorrow to ensure everything is balanced for the ride back up.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am shorting XIU... Up to now I have been buying and shorting it small chunks and doing OK. Making up for some losses in other areas. Also, just sold off ZCON thinking it may not be higher than now for a while..

·
Registered
15,883 Posts
I am shorting XIU... Up to now I have been buying and shorting it small chunks and doing OK. Making up for some losses in other areas. Also, just sold off ZCON thinking it may not be higher than now for a while..
This is good. We need more people short selling stocks and especially the index. In fact I think one reason we got such a brutal selloff was the absence of short sellers.

Short sellers add liquidity to markets. They become the only buyers when nobody else in their right mind would buy. So I really hate the scapegoating of short sellers, when in fact they assist price discovery and ADD liquidity to markets.

Everyone who is short is guaranteed to be a buyer in the future.
Everyone who is long is guaranteed to be a seller in the future.

521 - 540 of 540 Posts