Canadian Money Forum banner

501 - 520 of 540 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't think we will hit the bottom until, we get a treatment and turn the economy on.
There will be drops at the next panics, which will be a US lockdown, shortages, deaths of celebrities, particularly younger celebrities or and Pro athletes.
Totally agree. Death of a young celebrity or athlete although terrible would not be any further impact to the economic background but would cause even more panic and drops. Aside form the human toll, this damn Corona is a worst case scenario for markets.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
BARREL of Canadian oil is about the same as a Big Mac meal
That will mean that BC gasoline prices will go up. Here in BC, if oil prices drop, gasoline goes up. If oil prices go up, gasoline goes up. If oil prices remain level, gasoline goes up. One of those immutable laws of economics.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Just a reminder that Telus split today. Did a double take a first.
Yeah, I missed that until just a short while ago.

I had run my spreadsheet this morning as usual and just shrugged at the loses for yesterday, but then later looked at my Yahoo Watchlist and it didn't seem so bad for yesterday, so I looked into it.

Of course, I forgot to double my Telus shares today. I even had a note about it in an excel cell to do just that, but when you're old and addle minded these things slip through the cracks.

Recently, being down between $50K and $100K on many days, you hardly notice $25K extra lost because of a split, so it passed right by me. That shows how volatile it has been when you don't miss or concern yourself with $25K after doing an update for the day before.

I took the opportunity today to add a few round blocks of stock here and there and lower my cost base on several positions. I do enjoy a sale. I get nervous when things keep going up and up, year after year. This present situation has had a calming effect for me and gives rise to investigation of where to deploy cash. I would rather a sale where you can do something constructive.

The yields are obscene on many of my blue chips. I doubt they'll hold, but I think back to 2008 and I didn't experience a single dividend cut. Will that be the case this time? The yields are a result of crazy prices and little to do with fundamentals that I like to look at. But, what will the fundamental be when no one is buying your product or wares?

Either way, best to monitor portfolio income loses rather than share price losses, and see the latter as a sale opportunity to take advantage.

Really interesting to see how my equal sector approach trounces the index during these tough times (I've seen this before). When times are good I seem to beat the index by a very small amount, but during tough times, it works great. No surprise, it's happened before, time and time again. The heavy financial and energy percentages in the index in Canada control how the index fares. The equal sector approach takes advantage of returns in tough times to lower allocations to financial and energy sectors and in this situation of better returns from utilities, and consumer staples.

Anyway, I'm just rambling - ignore.

ltr

·
Registered
15,884 Posts
Decided that since I'm still riding a high from being back in Canada, I'm going to take a look at my accounts and see what the damage has been (I haven't looked in over a week). Better to tackle this while I'm in a good mood.

·
Registered
10,362 Posts
I was down there to witness it. Drove through Clearwater. I’ve stated before, there was no sense of urgency on any news outlet. Unless you were tied to Twitter, there was no information to isolate ...
The east coast side seems to have been different as there was lots of news on the way down, while in Miami and on the way back that talked about avoiding hospitals, going to testing centres after calling and as more closures/cancellations were reported - reports on how to stay isolated while keeping care of kids at home and profiles of people in quarantine.

Not that those at walking around were worried about it.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
OK - Finally looked at my Unregistered account after 2 weeks of ostriching.

I'm only down 45% from the February peak - thought it would be more like 60-70%... I have some LEAPS calls that are now way OTM that I need to figure out what to do with.

My TFSA actually fared worse than this account with options, I have a lot mid cap oil in my TFSA.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Totally agree. Death of a young celebrity or athlete although terrible would not be any further impact to the economic background but would cause even more panic and drops. Aside form the human toll, this damn Corona is a worst case scenario for markets.
My worries are
1. Panic
2. Disease control - I don't want millions dead.
3. Supporting people to keep them from becoming destitute.
- the economy was turned off to support #2, which is good. But we have to help people.
4. Mental health of ongoing isolation
5. Long term economic damage, or bad policy arising from the actions taken
- Paying a basic income so people can stay home is good in this circumstance.
- Paying a basic income so people can stay home and never work a day in their life is a disaster.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/stock-market-shutdown-1.5501352

The unprecedented stock market sell-off underway has many Canadians wondering if the time hasn't come to shut down stock markets entirely for a while, in order to give everyone a breather while the world economy deals with the coronavirus.
Seems highly unlikely, and all the actual experts they talk to agree that it's impossible. But an interesting thing to consider: I wonder what the fallout would be.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Thanks. They still didn't say when the new shares were actually going to be added. Spoke to a few here who have yet to see them.
I'm seeing double the shares @ half the price in my IB account, today.

Why would they split a $40 stock, anyway?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I'm seeing double the shares @ half the price in my IB account, today.

Why would they split a $40 stock, anyway?
Seems silly to me. Even the old excuse that they were increasing liquidity by making the shares cheaper doesn't mean much anymore since retail isn't required to buy shares in board lots. It just seems like a waste of money to me. It ain't cheap to do a split with all the paper work involved for them.

And then not long after they announced an equity offering.

ltr

501 - 520 of 540 Posts