Canadian Money Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Well my wife is taking hydroxychloroquine and it so far seems to be preventing her turning into a zombie, my own treatment consists of a couple Gin & Tonics each nite...quinine is anti zombie juice as well.
I am not endorsing the use of quinine or hydroxychloroquine as a cure but if you are not just joking about the G&T's you might want to read this as there is not much quinine in today's tonic.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
John1234567890, keep in mind that you do not make money or loss money until you sell. The money you put in, is in, but any profit or loss on that money is only a 'paper' gain or loss until you sell. That's why you are reading that if you are in for the long term, stay the course,etc.

As a new market investor, do not get confused and fall into the all too common trap of thinking you have made or lost money when you look at where a stock's 'value' is shown day by day. Nothing happens until you sell, no matter what the market is doing in between when you bought and when you sold.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I am not endorsing the use of quinine or hydroxychloroquine as a cure but if you are not just joking about the G&T's you might want to read this as there is not much quinine in today's tonic.

Ya I was joking about the G&T's but not the Plaquinil...
Heres a few more results by doctors

We need an effective treatment to cure COVID-19 patients and to decrease the virus carriage duration. In 80 in-patients receiving a combination of hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin we noted a clinical improvement in all but one 86 year-old patient who died, and one 74 yearold patient still in intensive care unit. A rapid fall of nasopharyngeal viral load tested by qPCR was noted, with 83% negative at Day7, and 93% at Day8. Virus cultures from patient respiratory samples were negative in 97.5% patients at Day5. This allowed patients to rapidly de discharge from highly contagious wards with a mean length of stay of five days. We believe other teams should urgently evaluate this cost-effective therapeutic strategy, to both avoid the spread of the disease and treat patients as soon as possible before severe respiratory irreversible complications take hold.

source from France: https://www.mediterranee-infection.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/COVID-IHU-2-1.pdf

·
Registered
12,104 Posts
That is very encouraging.

Flattening the curve is all about buying time to gather this kind of data, and then to scale and deploy the resources required to act on it. Sorry if that means we might not have packed churches on easter.

I also think that people may not have fully internalized what this new coronavirus means. It will become endemic. It will likely infect the vast majority of people on earth eventually. Immunity only lasts 2-3 years after recovery. And the virus will mutate. We essentially have a new flu-like virus that will circulate and mutate and add to the load on our healthcare system. Hopefully we can develop a broad vaccine, but that vaccine will need to be administered regularly (perhaps along with annual flu vaccine) to maintain herd immunity and prevent future outbreaks. There is so much of the virus out there that it is unlikely we can ever fully stamp it out like we did with smallpox.

One thing I hope is that this catastrophe (only term for it) makes humanity get serious about infectious disease. The countries hit hardest by SARS were ready for this and made out pretty well. Less so Canada, but I think we were better positioned than the hardest hit countries will be. Serious resources will need to be dedicated to monitoring, researching and developing cures/treatments for novel infectious disease. This disease will cost the global economy trillions of dollars. And, contrary to what many of the populist/nationalists seem to be thinking, this will require a global approach. The best way to contain diseases like this is to bring the full resources of the world to bear when diseases first arise and before they spread.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
Some reporter asked PM Trudeau this morning what the government is going to do about Seniors who are seeing their 'savings dwindle on the stock market'. This kind of thinking never fails to amaze me.

First of all, no one's savings dwindle on the stock market. All they see is their GAMBLE losing 'paper value'. The real $ value only changes if you sell.

Second, if someone did choose to gamble on the market and does decide to sell because they need the cash, who's fault is that? If I lost money in Vegas, should I expect the government to help me out?

·
Registered
12,317 Posts
The term "paper losses" was probably invented by someone who didn't need to withdraw their money and had years to wait for the rebound in value.

For seniors withdrawing money while the balance goes down......the losses are real. They will deplete all their funds sooner than planned.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I think Europe is peaking this week, and North America likely by mid-April. If I wanted to take advantage of this dip, I would be rebalancing fast. Because the recovery will be quick. China is already returning to normal almost across the board.

Once the peak passes in a country, they have a surplus of capacity very very quickly. So it goes from being uncontrolled to well within control in a matter of days. And then they will start exporting PPE, tests, and experts around the world, much like South Korea and China are doing now.

We are definitely near the end of the beginning. Markets will see this very quickly.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
The term "paper losses" was probably invented by someone who didn't need to withdraw their money and had years to wait for the rebound in value.

For seniors withdrawing money while the balance goes down......the losses are real. They will deplete all their funds sooner than planned.
Yes, that is true sags but as I wrote, if someone chose to GAMBLE, then that was their choice. They don't get to cry about it when they lose the bet anymore than someone who loses a bet in Vegas does.

·
Registered
16,298 Posts
I also think that people may not have fully internalized what this new coronavirus means. It will become endemic. It will likely infect the vast majority of people on earth eventually. Immunity only lasts 2-3 years after recovery. And the virus will mutate. We essentially have a new flu-like virus that will circulate and mutate and add to the load on our healthcare system.
Right. And while the flu already kills huge numbers of people each year, and depletes Canadian hospital resources, we now are going to see an ongoing higher burden on all these resources. It's like suddenly doubling the burden of influenza on the healthcare system, which is a enormous, and terrible.

Or another way to look at it might be that instead of "winning" the war on influenza, it's like influenza effectively just doubled in magnitude... permanently.

This will require huge increases in healthcare spending, more hospital resources, and we will have to start getting used to thousands of more deaths annually from flu & friends.

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Right. And while the flu already kills huge numbers of people each year, and depletes Canadian hospital resources, we now are going to see an ongoing higher burden on all these resources. It's like suddenly doubling the burden of influenza on the healthcare system, which is a enormous, and terrible.

Or another way to look at it might be that instead of "winning" the war on influenza, it's like influenza effectively just doubled in magnitude... permanently.

This will require huge increases in healthcare spending, more hospital resources, and we will have to start getting used to thousands of more deaths annually from flu & friends.
That's not a guarantee. The virus has been relatively stable so far and may be defeated by a vaccine. It could mutate, but that is so far only a possibility, not a certainty.

·
Registered
16,298 Posts
That's not a guarantee. The virus has been relatively stable so far and may be defeated by a vaccine. It could mutate, but that is so far only a possibility, not a certainty.
Good point. Lots of unknowns... hopefully this will be stamped out, or somehow become a lesser concern with time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I notice CNN reports 3 overdoses from Nigeria but does not report the hundreds of cures reported in other articles.
Stop calling it a "cure" just because somebody took it and got better - most people get better on their own in any case. They might have just as easily drank sugar water and been "cured" by that. You need actual scientific studies where you have a control group taking placebos alongside those taking the drug you are testing and compare the results.

This run on existing drugs are hurting people who for sure need them for other medical conditions where the drug has proven value.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
Actually 1st USA clinical trial of Plaquinel was released early today...didn't read much hype in the media but it was a success. Looks like the orange guy was right.

·
Registered
333 Posts
This run on existing drugs are hurting people who for sure need them for other medical conditions where the drug has proven value.
Yes.. many pharmacies are already having problems ordering these drugs from their suppliers. They are especially used to treat lupus and rheumatoid arthritis here in Canada.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thank you so much, much appreciated. Very good point Oldtimes. We get so caught up in the temporary fluctuations, we forget the big picture! I would think we even end up selling during a crash, out of emotion, when we otherwise wouldn't have!

Really good diversity of views here :)

Please excuse the delay of this response, have to admit I've been getting so comfortable with the slow/relaxed pace of these quarantine-type days, quite a break in the routine. I’m probably missing out on big market opportunities! ;-)

21 - 37 of 37 Posts