Canadian Money Forum banner

241 - 253 of 253 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Does anyone know if second/third hand smoke like that (diffused but continuous) could get me intoxicated? It concerns me because I'm trying to do work, and need to be sharp!
Most likely not. You'd have to be in the same unventilated & confined room of people smoking high-THC marijuana.

Maybe it would promote new and innovative thinking. Your employer would be thrilled.
Absolutely!

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Nice little run lately. I put some play money in this. Up 20%.
Wow thanks I didn't even notice this has started running again.

There really seem to be several "mania" themes happening simultaneously. There's electric vehicles/batteries, genomics, and marijuana ... all rallying insanely at the same time.

If there is a belief that central banks will keep fuelling easy money and risk taking, and if HMMJ only started rallying recently, then it's possible it has a ton of upside.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Wow thanks I didn't even notice this has started running again.

There really seem to be several "mania" themes happening simultaneously. There's electric vehicles/batteries, genomics, and marijuana ... all rallying insanely at the same time.

If there is a belief that central banks will keep fuelling easy money and risk taking, and if HMMJ only started rallying recently, then it's possible it has a ton of upside.
I think some US states are moving to legalizing. NY?

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
I think some US states are moving to legalizing. NY?
My theory is that it has nothing to do with news or underlying business conditions. I think it has much more to do with a general market mania which is emerging.

If you look at several extremely hot things (Bitcoin ETFs, electric vehicle stocks like TSLA, FCEL, and ARKK) you'll see that enthusiasm for all of them has increased significantly in November and has been accelerating since.

HMMJ shows the same pattern. And it has a history of coinciding with Bitcoin strength during a previous bubble period, so I believe HMMJ (like the things above I mentioned) are all part of a general market mania.

·
Registered
913 Posts
My theory is that it has nothing to do with news or underlying business conditions. I think it has much more to do with a general market mania which is emerging.

If you look at several extremely hot things (Bitcoin ETFs, electric vehicle stocks like TSLA, FCEL, and ARKK) you'll see that enthusiasm for all of them has increased significantly in November and has been accelerating since.

HMMJ shows the same pattern. And it has a history of coinciding with Bitcoin strength during a previous bubble period, so I believe HMMJ (like the things above I mentioned) are all part of a general market mania.
Better say that everything is hot.

EV? Hot
Cryptocurrencies? Hot
Blockchain? Hot
Clean energy? Hot
Semiconductors? Hot
Telemedicine? Hot
Genomics? Hot
Work from home? Hot
Cloud computing? Hot
Cybersecurity? Hot
Online entertainment? Hot
Advertisement? Hot

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #248
Better say that everything is hot.

EV? Hot
Cryptocurrencies? Hot
Blockchain? Hot
Clean energy? Hot
Semiconductors? Hot
Telemedicine? Hot
Genomics? Hot
Work from home? Hot
Cloud computing? Hot
Cybersecurity? Hot
Online entertainment? Hot
Advertisement? Hot
It's true that the whole market is very hot, but certain pockets are seeing extreme movements and that's what I'm pointing out. Marijuana could be (becoming) one of these pockets.

Have fun!

·
Registered
913 Posts
My theory is that it has nothing to do with news
My theory is that @Money172375 is right. When did it start moving? November 3rd, 2020.

Then, you may be right about how strong it is moving. But that strength could be justified considering more and more legalization in the US. That's opening a much bigger market.

Growth investing is more forward-looking. It's about opportunities, financial growth, disruptive innovation.

Value investing is more backward-looking. It's about mispriced stocks based on their history and peers.

(That's oversimplified)

Growth is simply much harder to grasp and to price.

·
Registered
19,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #251
My theory is that @Money172375 is right. When did it start moving? November 3rd, 2020.

Then, you may be right about how strong it is moving. But that strength could be justified considering more and more legalization in the US. That's opening a much bigger market.
Nobody really knows of course. The great thing is that we have a marketplace where everyone can put their investment theses to the test.

If someone really believes we are entering a brand new world for electric vehicles and marijuana, and that valuations of those stocks look fine today, then you should be able to make a ton of money buying into TSLA, NIO, PLUG, FCEL, BLDP, and HMMJ today. You'll be rich!

My thesis is that there's currently a broad-reaching bubble mania fuelled by extreme stimulus, which is leading to excessive greed and risk taking across a broad range of things. I think that recent movements in HMMJ, EV stocks and BTC are tied to this mania. They could of course continue for months or years. Because I believe it's a mania, I am firmly sticking to my existing, more broadly diversified portfolio (stock indexes, diversified stock picks, bonds, GICs, gold) without buying into any of the current hypes. I believe that this will give better long term results with less volatility.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Nobody really knows of course. The great thing is that we have a marketplace where everyone can put their investment theses to the test.

If someone really believes we are entering a brand new world for electric vehicles and marijuana, and that valuations of those stocks look fine today, then you should be able to make a ton of money buying into TSLA, NIO, PLUG, FCEL, BLDP, and HMMJ today. You'll be rich!

My thesis is that there's currently a broad-reaching bubble mania fuelled by extreme stimulus, which is leading to excessive greed and risk taking across a broad range of things. I think that recent movements in HMMJ, EV stocks and BTC are tied to this mania. They could of course continue for months or years. Because I believe it's a mania, I am firmly sticking to my existing, more broadly diversified portfolio (stock indexes, diversified stock picks, bonds, GICs, gold) without buying into any of the current hypes. I believe that this will give better long term results with less volatility.
I'll admit that I do believe that NASDAQ is overvalued by about 20%. If it's the start of a bubble, it could continue for 2 years maybe. Personally, I expect a correction on NASDAQ.

S&P 500 seems no more than 5% overvalued, so it's just usual volatility.

Unfortunately, I still have no strategy to evaluate the potential overvaluation of a specific industry other than gut-feeling.

241 - 253 of 253 Posts