Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting dividend payer in MBT

My question here is what happens to stock holders of a stock if it gets absorbed into an industry giant (CDN or otherwise)?

Also is MBT owned by the province of Manitoba, or is it privately held?

·
Registered
128 Posts
If it gets absorbed you get cash or stock depending on the
conditions of the deal.
It is a publicly traded company.
You must be new to investing. :D

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
Riff Raff, MBT is a well established and well traded company on the TSX
You will find lots of free information on MBT if you want to look deeper.

Personally, I do not see a lot of upside, other than the dividend yield.
Their share price has been steadily falling in the last 5 years.
I believe they also cut the dividend rather substantially earlier this year, but I don't know the specific amount.

Looks like their share price has plateaued and in the absence of any significant changes to their environment, will be flat or slightly bearish in the near to mid term.

If you gotta have to have a telco in your portfolio, look at BCE or Rogers instead.
IMHO, BCE provides better bang for your buck than MBT.

However, for true telco exposure, you have to look south of the border.

·
Banned
2,508 Posts
I don't know how long the EPS on MTB can pay that dividend. That's why they had to cut the dividend a few months ago and the stock took a beating. It's gone up a few dollars since but so has everything else. Not sure if the future looks bright either. Like Haroldcrump said, go with the huge players Rogers and BCE. Right now that are at oK prices too, compared to the last couple of weeks. BCE just upped the dividend not too long ago and bought CTV to go forward with the whole tv on/phone/internet opportunities.

·
Banned
190 Posts
Riff Raff, MBT is a well established and well traded company on the TSX
You will find lots of free information on MBT if you want to look deeper.

Personally, I do not see a lot of upside, other than the dividend yield.
Their share price has been steadily falling in the last 5 years.
I believe they also cut the dividend rather substantially earlier this year, but I don't know the specific amount.

Looks like their share price has plateaued and in the absence of any significant changes to their environment, will be flat or slightly bearish in the near to mid term.

If you gotta have to have a telco in your portfolio, look at BCE or Rogers instead.
IMHO, BCE provides better bang for your buck than MBT.

However, for true telco exposure, you have to look south of the border.
Thanks HC. I agree with you entirely - I was just curious about what would happen if MBT was bought out by one of the larger telecoms.

I did not notice the dividend cut.

See, asking questions helps :)

Cheers!

·
Banned
190 Posts
I don't know how long the EPS on MTB can pay that dividend. That's why they had to cut the dividend a few months ago and the stock took a beating. It's gone up a few dollars since but so has everything else. Not sure if the future looks bright either. Like Haroldcrump said, go with the huge players Rogers and BCE. Right now that are at oK prices too, compared to the last couple of weeks. BCE just upped the dividend not too long ago and bought CTV to go forward with the whole tv on/phone/internet opportunities.
Thanks Jungle.

I need to learn more about the correlation between EPS and dividend yields.

Cheers!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts