Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought about 5k in Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd. stock around 1990 and lost track of it. I never received any notifications after the company was presumably bought out. I’m wondering if anyone out there might have any insight or advice as to whether or not there is a registry or otherwise a way to look up whether or not that stock has any value today and/or it was transferred to the new company. I never received any payout of any kind. Thank you 🙏.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From Maple Leaf Gardens look at the Section Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment: 1991–2003
Thank you. I guess the question I’m hoping someone has the answer to is what happens to a stock owned in one company after it’s taken over by another company? Is there a federal registry or something within the new company that can be searched? I had about 5k in stock in Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd. around 1990 that I simply lost track. I’m wondering if there’s anyway to track it down somehow. Anyone who has any other insight or suggestions please chime in. Thank you 🙏 .This is the pertinent background information from the section you asked me to read: “MLG Ventures took Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd. private and the two corporations amalgamated.[47]becoming Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment Ltd.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I am not aware of any central registry. I presume you held the actual stock certificates rather than through a broker's stock account? If so, I am not aware of any obligation on the issuer's part regarding changes/buy backs of stock certificates other than maybe a mailing to last known address on the company's files.

These articles https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/unclaimed-assets-of-5b-await-canadians-expert-says-1.3140196 and How you can find your long-lost cash and assets don't hold much promise for you hunting down 'securities'. Most of the regulatory focus, and it is piece meal, is associated with bank and CU accounts and matured insurance policies.

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
I looked into a similar issue (different stock) last year for a relative, who had bought some obscure mining company many years ago. The best thing to do would be to track down the actual account at the brokerage, and see what's in it. If you can't remember the account number, they can also search for it using personal information.

This page at CIBC also has some contact info. Apparently BC and AB have specific departments to help find unclaimed assets:

In your case, there was some kind of amalgamation but that does not tell us anything about how much value remained in your shares. Unfortunately that's a pretty complicated scenario. Hopefully you will have luck finding your original broker, or perhaps the 'unclaimed assets' route.

As an aside, I lived for many years right next door to Maple Leaf Gardens and watched the construction as it transformed into a Loblaws store.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought about 5k in Maple Leaf Gardens Ltd. stock around 1990 and lost track of it. I never received any notifications after the company was presumably bought out. I’m wondering if anyone out there might have any insight or advice as to whether or not there is a registry or otherwise a way to look up whether or not that stock has any value today and/or it was transferred to the new company. I never received any payout of any kind. Thank you 🙏.
I am not aware of any central registry. I presume you held the actual stock certificates rather than through a broker's stock account? If so, I am not aware of any obligation on the issuer's part regarding changes/buy backs of stock certificates other than maybe a mailing to last known address on the company's files.

These articles https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/unclaimed-assets-of-5b-await-canadians-expert-says-1.3140196 and How you can find your long-lost cash and assets don't hold mulch promise for you hunting down 'securities'. Most of the regulatory focus, and it is piece meal, is associated with bank and CU accounts and matured insurance policies.
Thanks for the reply. No certificates in hand unfortunately. No specific registry for unclaimed property in Ontario. Just the national one from CanRev.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Thanks for the reply. No certificates in hand unfortunately. No specific registry for unclaimed property in Ontario. Just the national one from CanRev.
I don't understand. Either you have the stock certificates or you have brokerage statements from the 1990s. If you have no evidence of ownership, I don't know how you actually know you 'lost track' of your investment, or maybe you got cashed out and don't remember that happening. ISTM that no physical evidence = no ownership

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked into a similar issue (different stock) last year for a relative, who had bought some obscure mining company many years ago. The best thing to do would be to track down the actual account at the brokerage, and see what's in it. If you can't remember the account number, they can also search for it using personal information.

This page at CIBC also has some contact info. Apparently BC and AB have specific departments to help find unclaimed assets:

In your case, there was some kind of amalgamation but that does not tell us anything about how much value remained in your shares. Unfortunately that's a pretty complicated scenario. Hopefully you will have luck finding your original broker, or perhaps the 'unclaimed assets' route.

As an aside, I lived for many years right next door to Maple Leaf Gardens and watched the construction as it transformed into a Loblaws store.
Thanks so much for the great info. I have neither the certificates nor anything online of course because there wasn’t such thing as online back then. I will check with my bank though and see if there’s an account that I’m not aware of that may have the funds. Thanks again!

·
Registered
17,027 Posts
Thanks so much for the great info. I have neither the certificates nor anything online of course because there wasn’t such thing as online back then. I will check with my bank though and see if there’s an account that I’m not aware of that may have the funds. Thanks again!
The brokerage does not have to be online. It could have been a regular, old fashioned brokerage. If you can remember which broker it was (or which bank) then they will be the best people to contact.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts