Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking of a rental property somewhere in the USA. Preferring a turn-key operation. I would not need to use it and it would be for US cash generation only. Have a place in the North Myrtle Beach but wasn't all that sure of the longterm future in that area. Reading that golf is on the downturn with boomers.

Any other areas? Is Orlando pretty saturated? Do you think there will be deals after this crisis?

Or should I dump my US $ in the market?

Thanks, guys for any and all insights.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
Anecdotally, lots of discussion where I live in US with people cancelling their summer rentals now (golf and beach destination) AirBnB market has collapsed, and apparently many low income workers are unable to pay rent. The summer rush also relies on foreign workers who probably won't be back this summer

That said there could be some deals this summer like there was 10 years ago. If it was me I would be looking near Denver/Colorado Springs with the new Space Force ramping up next few years. Lots of military/government/contractor/foreign nationals who don't necessarily want to buy

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
Every cloud has a silver lining as they say. I am so pleased to see the effect the current situation is having on Airbnb. Crash and burn I say.

Where to look at buying a rental property would first depend on whether you are looking at long term rental or short term. Given the places you mention, it looks like you are thinking of short term vacation rentals.

Personally, I would not expect them to be doing well at all for at least the next 2 years and perhaps even longer. That would discourage me from even contemplating such an investment at all right now.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
There are many choices, but my own preferences run to the west coast cities like Seattle, San Franciso, LA, even San Diego. They have broad-based economies and appeal and have long been favourites of both foreign and domestic investors. For me, it helps that I am familiar with them. I have travelled around a good many parts of the U.S., but I cannot profess to know much about them in terms of investment potential. m3s might very well be right about Denver. I have no idea on that score.

·
Registered
3,625 Posts
I think Florida will have a good sale in 1-2 years , we will not see the full impact of this crisis fully because it takes so long for foreclosures to happen.We also have stuff in Georgia for long term rentals ,my friend got me into it a few years ago .We use to buy in the $40,000 -$55000 and spend under $10,000 to update before getting tenants but these days $80,000 is around the price for a similar home.They are all detached with decent lot sizes.These are all USD Prices

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Myrtle Beach...best you fly out there and try the town out...pretty shabby compared to 20 years ago.

·
Registered
12,709 Posts
They open up the restrictions and where do people flock to ? To the beach......buy something with a nice beach.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts