Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Benchmarks: 1. long history(at least 5 years) of dividend paid, 2. low P/B (less than 3), 3. high ROE(higher than 10%). Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Brookfield Asset management BAM is a good long term hold type blue chip that should meet all your criteria Their target return is 12-15%. Constellation Software CSU (not sure if they pay a dividend) is another core long term hold. In the US, Mastercard MA, Nvdia NVDA, and Mercado Libre MELI are all good core holdings.

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
FTS; RY, & BCE are good solid long term holds for most portfolios. I am sure their are a good number of others but you can't own them all but being diversified is very important.
Not to sound like a broken record, but you can actually "own them all" with XIU, which tracks the TSX 60.

I continue to think this is the best ETF in Canada, with the best companies. Will survive any downturn or economic condition.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Benchmarks: 1. long history(at least 5 years) of dividend paid, 2. low P/B (less than 3), 3. high ROE(higher than 10%). Any suggestions? Thanks a lot!
The Canadian blue chips that meet all of your 3 criteria are basically all the banks and a few other stocks.

This list of 10 stocks meet your criteria and beat the TSX:
  1. MRU.TO
  2. NA.TO
  3. RY.TO
  4. TD.TO
  5. CM.TO
  6. BMO.TO
  7. EMA.TO
  8. TRP.TO
  9. BCE.TO
  10. SJR-B.TO
(BNS.TO should also make this list)

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Not to sound like a broken record, but you can actually "own them all" with XIU, which tracks the TSX 60.

I continue to think this is the best ETF in Canada, with the best companies. Will survive any downturn or economic condition.
Good point, your right :) I never thought of that likely due to never having bought an ETF, only stocks direct.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Now it's ... eenie, meenie, minus moe with the suggestions.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts