Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I’m trying to find out if and how I will receive any tax benefits for paying for LTD and STD payments at work. For the year of 2016, I paid $915.24 and $539.10 in deductions from my paychecks for our work plan. I’ve been told the benefits are tax free once claimed so I’m assuming the cost is 100% paid by the employee. I’ve complained about this (because it takes about $100 off every paycheck and I work in the office of a fab shop – so I’m highly unlikely ever to claim this but I am not allowed to opt out). Anyways I was told I can claim this on my taxes and likely get a benefit from it. Searching online only brings me to questions about people who have actually been receiving the short term or long term payments.

Can anyone explain how and where I can claim these expenses?

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hello,

I’m trying to find out if and how I will receive any tax benefits for paying for LTD and STD payments at work. For the year of 2016, I paid $915.24 and $539.10 in deductions from my paychecks for our work plan. I’ve been told the benefits are tax free once claimed so I’m assuming the cost is 100% paid by the employee. I’ve complained about this (because it takes about $100 off every paycheck and I work in the office of a fab shop – so I’m highly unlikely ever to claim this but I am not allowed to opt out). Anyways I was told I can claim this on my taxes and likely get a benefit from it. Searching online only brings me to questions about people who have actually been receiving the short term or long term payments.

Can anyone explain how and where I can claim these expenses?
I think there was a misunderstanding unfortunately. LTD and STD premiums for oneself are not tax deductible as far as I know.
Your employer can pay for them without it being a taxable benefit to you (which is essentially equivalent to having it be tax deductible) but in that case the benefits would be taxable when claimed.

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
There is no tax deduction or credit for the premiums you pay for LTD and STD.

That said, you are getting a good deal. Where you work has very little to do with your likelihood to receive STD and LTD. Sickness is the largest claim source, swamping injury by at least 3 to 1 with claims experience.

Everyone that is dependant on their paycheque needs LTD and if you didn't get it from your employer the cost would be more then 100% more...and still non-tax deductible. You got a good deal you should try to get over it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts