Canadian Money Forum banner

Lockdowns

3K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  Beaver101 
#1 ·
New measures in Ontario. Stay-at-home orders. Media is all over it saying nothing has changed. Others saying big boxes are being treated preferentially. I find the media is just making it more confusing.

what big-boxes are open that don’t sell groceries? None that I know of. If you’re a small business owner selling groceries, you’re allowed to be open. To me, it’s more essential vs non-essential. Not big box vs small business. The only change I would make is to limit aisles to food only in Costco and Walmart.

why does the media keep trying to find loopholes or obscure ways to “get around” the rules?

just stay home...go out for food, exercise, medication, medical appointments.

#2 ·
New measures in Ontario. Stay-at-home orders. Media is all over it saying nothing has changed. Others saying big boxes are being treated preferentially. I find the media is just making it more confusing.

what big-boxes are open that don’t sell groceries? None that I know of. If you’re a small business owner selling groceries, you’re allowed to be open. To me, it’s more essential vs non-essential. Not big box vs small business. The only change I would make is to limit aisles to food only in Costco and Walmart.

why does the media keep trying to find loopholes or obscure ways to “get around” the rules?

Some people like to complain.
Realistically there isn't much more they can do.

#3 ·

.. not sure what media you're referring to. I think the news (media) are reporting what people (including those from the government itself) are finding the new lock-down measures confusing.

Is a skating rink an outdoor gathering? New Ontario rules present questions, Tory says

Even TO's no-teeth mayor needs clarification re issues in above link.

#7 · (Edited)
.. and Wally / Costy didn't b1tch (yet) in Quebec? Worst ... planning a lawsuit. Is that the scare tactic?

Just a quick search on CP24 showed Mississauga's mayor (on November 25, 2020=2 and a half months ago!!!) wanted this scenario.

Mississauga wants to limit sales of non-essential items at big box stores

And yet tomorrow's "new" lockdown doesn't even address or include this.

What do the mayors (plus bloated city staff) of Ontario's city/towns do all day, except working-so-hard zooming-all-day-at-home? I really like to know.

#10 ·
Really with businesses now having to close earlier and people allowed to go out for exercise; takeout; groceries; RX's, and curbside pickup the Stay @Home order is pointless. The reduced open hours is one change so the stay @home order is just icing on the cake and sounds impressive for them to announce.

#11 ·
what big-boxes are open that don’t sell groceries? None that I know of.
Depends on what open means. Home Depot, Lowes, CT etc are open for pick up. They sell non-essentials. We are supposed to stay at home except when shopping for essentials, so who will be shopping there?

Same with liquor/beer stores - they are now likely curbside only? But if they are non-essential we should not go out to pick up?

Rules say there is no restriction on buying non-essentials. But if we must stay at home, how do we buy them? On-Line?

The rules released are all over the map, so no wonder public are confused.

#13 ·
Depends on what open means. Home Depot, Lowes, CT etc are open for pick up. They sell non-essentials. We are supposed to stay at home except when shopping for essentials, so who will be shopping there?

Same with liquor/beer stores - they are now likely curbside only? But if they are non-essential we should not go out to pick up?

Rules say there is no restriction on buying non-essentials. But if we must stay at home, how do we buy them? On-Line?

I think how we define essential is the issue. I agree with what was said today.......what is essential for me, can be non-essential for others. ex. My toilet breaks, or I need a fuse for my furnace, or I need to replace a flat tire. I’m fine with “big-boxes” or any other retailer selling curb-side.

#12 ·
^
... that or curbside pick up. Ie. no in-person or inside-the-store buying non-essential stuffs. Or Ford's begging Ontarians to stay-at-home as much as possible. Only go out for "essentials". [And please no redefining what's considered essentials]

. ... I think the (still) weak enforcement is the problem.

#17 · (Edited)
Unless they close warehouse type of stores ( like Costco, Walmart, superstore, etc), cases will never come down. they should have done this from the beginning.. local Costco is full of people and most of the time they buy items that are not related to essential items. no wonder Costco/Walmarts are made a lot of money during the pandemic.

#20 ·
The larger amount of infections and almost all ICU infections come from these 3 culprits.

1) Social Gatherings
2) Workplaces
3) Vehicles: Only reason no one cites vehicles is because they are usually part of either social gathering or car pooling to work.

Stopping any other areas of infection will be insignificant to the goal of reducing the current rate of infection.

#25 ·
You can wait until an expert helps you across the street, while a hungry tiger is somewhere behind you OR you can use your common sense and simply put distance between you and the threat and get yourself across the street. Waiting for help can be very dangerous. Confirmation is not without risk.

I have never asked anyone to agree with me, but I find it quite surprising that some of the concepts I was forced to bring to these boards, before anyone could prove them, were so difficult for people to work out in their minds.

Were masks really of no protection until the experts and the government about faced and eventually confirmed that they were? Was it really a stretch of ones imagination to figure out that covering up ones nose and mouth might actually be helpful in reducing the spread of respiratory viruses? Did it not seem peculiar to you that they wanted you to donate your mask to protect their healthcare workers, while still selling the idea that they had no use for your own protection?

Was dosage of infection really not applicable, when you could see from a mile away, the various effects it was having in outcomes from all ages. Did you really think pre-existing conditions explained all those variations, especially within the same age group?

This stuff was common sense.

#26 ·
Perhaps, reasoning and backing for herd immunity are now stronger than ever? ...:unsure:

#36 · (Edited)
Opposition party calls for changes to Quebec curfew after homeless people ticketed

^ Are the La belle province cops that dense? Ticketing the homeless ones? Duh ... like they're able to pay.

'We have not even seen a draft:' Stay-at-home order takes effect at midnight but Toronto officials say they haven't seen legal regulations

^ And I don't think Torontonian cops are gonna to see a legal draft of any sorts when the premier's office has issued this advice: Stay Home. Restez la maison.

Is a skating rink an outdoor gathering? New Ontario rules present questions, Tory says

^ While our comical-toothless mayor is waiting for clarification on whether a skating rink is considered a social gathering spot? LOL.

#37 ·

^ While our comical-toothless mayor is waiting for clarification on whether a skating rink is considered a social gathering spot? LOL.
Tory is a wimp, he can make his own orders, or get his Chief Medical Officer to make an order, or simply have law enforcement order them to disperse.
He just doesn't want to make the tough calls, and upset voters, remember Tory is the mayor of a city that is mostly ignoring guidelines (see the COVID19 modelling update presentation from Tuesday, traffic patters are at 80+% of normal)

Ford is getting a lot of heat for making decisions and taking action, which will hurt in the next election. However his supporters understand that he's making decisions, and while not perfect, it's better than the disasterous leadership we've seen in other jurisdictions.

#45 ·
No problem with opinions. We do need to figure out a way that a person can make a simple list of 3 things he thinks people should avoid and not have to beat it to death over a couple pages of posts.

If I was not clear that the 3 danger zones I listed were just my opinion from observations I have made from numerous sources, I will apologize for that. As for opinions that cannot yet be confirmed by other sources, I believe they have considerable merit if good explanations can be given. Waiting for confirmation can be very dangerous. I wish it wasn't, but it is.

#46 · (Edited)
We stay home unless to buy food or something we really need. We are stocked up and only need a few items from time to time.

It is a pain in the butt.........we can't see our son and grand kids, but we don't control where they go all the time.

I fear when I read that someone got COVID and "did everything right".

That tells me this virus is so contagious that we don't fully appreciate how contagious and deadly it is.

The misery gets lost in the statistics.

I also listened to a war hardened CNN reporter literally break down in front of the camera from what she is seeing in the hospitals first hand.

We need to observe the lock downs......end of story.

#49 ·
We stay home unless to buy food or something we really need. We are stocked up and only need a few items from time to time.

It is a pain in the butt.........we can't see our son and grand kids, but we don't control where they go all the time.

I fear when I read that someone got COVID and "did everything right".

That tells me this virus is so contagious that we don't fully appreciate how contagious and deadly it is.

The misery gets lost in the statistics.

I also listened to a war hardened CNN reporter literally break down in front of the camera from what she is seeing in the hospitals first hand.

We need to observe the lock downs......end of story.

... always the exception ... some people just have to be special.

I wonder how many of these protests are going to occur in TO for the next 28 days ... or until getting the TPS really pizzed.

Police disperse crowd of anti-lockdown protesters in downtown Toronto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.