Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody subscribe to Connolly Report? I'm trying to find out the list of the 23 dividend stocks for which the author calculates the dollar cost of 1 dividend dollar. I've calculated the figure for the eight Canadian banks below and the cost of one dividend dollar for banks is $24.21.

Royal Bank
TD
Scotia Bank
BMO
CIBC
National Bank
CWB
LB

But in the end, I would like to find out the full list of dividend stocks on the Connolly Report. From various posts I've seen these stocks mentioned.

Fortis
Canadian Utilities
BCE
Canadian Banks (which ones?)
Sunlife
Power Corporation

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would suggest emailing him and asking. He used to sell paper copies of the last report for $10. but now I believe it's only online access, he's a nice guy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did contact him and he explained to me that the list is only available to the subscribers. Does anybody know how to subscribe to his letter? He did say that my list of stocks is quite similar to his.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is my current watch list of stocks:

Banks
Royal Bank
TD
Scotia Bank
BMO
CIBC
National Bank
Canada West Bank
Laurentian Bank
Dividend $ Cost $24.21

Insurance
Power Corporation Canada
Sunlife Canada
Manulife Canada
Dividend $ Cost $17.69

Telecom
Bell Canada
Telus Canada
Rogers Canada
Shaw Canada
Manitoba Telecom Canada
Dividend $ Cost $22.93

Utilities
Canadian Utilities Canada
Fortis Canada
Dividend $ Cost $34.65

Energy
Husky Energy
Canadian Oil Sands
Transcanada Corp
Enbridge
Dividend $ Cost $25.64

Food
Loblaw
Shoppers
Canada Bread
Tim Hortons
Dividend $ Cost $36.26

·
Registered
277 Posts
Send in a ten dollar bill, and purchase a back issue of his newsletter.

You will most likely be invited to be a subscriber. That's what I did.

He is closed to new subscribers, I.e doesn't actively seek new ones, but will accept people who seek him out.

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
From the latest, June 2012 letter.

Sun L

Manu L

Gt West

Power C

PWFin

ThmRet

Leon's

Loblaw

CIBC

Ryl Bk

Bk Mtl

BCE

Bk NS

Nat Bk

TD Bk

Empire

CNR

Fortis

TransC

Atco

Enbridge

Emera

Cdn Util

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
why would anyone pay $10 for a list of pablum ? everybody knows what's on that list.

that highly defensive stocks like food-related & supermarket chains get pushed up in nervous market cycles is widely known.

one could argue that these are the times to stop buying pablum & start buying cheap overlooked disparaged sectors that are out of fashion. Sectors that sometimes don't even have dividends.

archerETF had a post on here recently about how energy etfs are undervalued. Energy stocks themselves - which i'll take any day over etfs - have indeed been undervalued. Energy-related stocks like coal, uranium & junior drillers are near cyclical lows. They might seem to be pulling out of it recently. However, every round of headlines about unsold inventory piling up in chinese export warehouses daunts them. Still, there are some good buys with good potential for capital gains in the resource sector.

i don't mind breakfast cereal, i have a healthy assortment in the portf. It's the idea of paying $10 to get into the store that sells the well-known 20 or 30 top brands that seems ridic.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Send in a ten dollar bill, and purchase a back issue of his newsletter.

You will most likely be invited to be a subscriber. That's what I did.

He is closed to new subscribers, I.e doesn't actively seek new ones, but will accept people who seek him out.

That's exactly how I got on the list a few years ago, but I'm not a subscriber anymore. I wasn't interested in the names so much as the method, even after 3 years of subscribing I still didn't get it. I learnt more in a couple months just from reading Susan Brunner's blog - for free.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks so much! I have two more questions about that list. Loblaw has not increased its dividends since 2007; is it still a good buy? What's "Bk Mtl"?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i don't even like his list. Where's telus, for example.

some weakish stocks like the power group. Weakened by large european exposure to pargesa in parent power corporation, not to speak of market weakness affecting insurance companies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Does anybody have a good link on when to buy dividend stocks? I've seen suggestions to look at historical yields and P/E ratios. Many say that buying at a fair price is extremely important. I guess back in 2008-2009 (or even in 2011) it was pretty obvious that many stocks were on sale. However, how do I go about it at the moment?

For instance, Shoppers and Tim Hortons have low yields (2.5 and 1.6%) but great dividend growth so far. That has pushed their P/E to 15/20, making the assumption that the growth is sustainable. If that rate is sustainable then their yield will outpace that of banks' in 10 years. But that's a huge if.

Or, simply take Canadian Banks at the moment. P/E and yield wise they are good - sort of in the middle of historical valuation. Do I buy? Or do I wait for that great moment when the stock is even cheaper? What if it doesn't become cheaper?:):) Do I keep selling put options at the price I like the stock? Any words of wisdom and experience are highly appreciated.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Or take, Enbridge for example. The company has had losses this year, but it's P/E is 48.50 ... go figure. I guess the company's brand helps it sustain the stock's price.

·
Registered
277 Posts
That's exactly how I got on the list a few years ago, but I'm not a subscriber anymore. I wasn't interested in the names so much as the method, even after 3 years of subscribing I still didn't get it. I learnt more in a couple months just from reading Susan Brunner's blog - for free.
Read "the single best investment" by Lowell miller. It's exactly what Connolly does, but an American version

·
Registered
277 Posts
i don't even like his list. Where's telus, for example.

some weakish stocks like the power group. Weakened by large european exposure to pargesa in parent power corporation, not to speak of market weakness affecting insurance companies.
Telus cut their dividend a while back, thus not on the list. They may make it back on. He will add and remove stocks from the list.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
From the latest, June 2012 letter.

Sun L

Manu L

Gt West

Power C

PWFin

ThmRet

Leon's

Loblaw

CIBC

Ryl Bk

Bk Mtl

BCE

Bk NS

Nat Bk

TD Bk

Empire

CNR

Fortis

TransC

Atco

Enbridge

Emera

Cdn Util
i'm no expert on dividends but i get the impression you should basically own a large chunk of this list and then go south of the border to hunt for lesser known names and diamonds in the rough ... a 5th grader could draw up the canada list .. though perhaps timing in and out matters except doesn't he hold for very long periods and rarely sells ?

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
Telus cut their dividend a while back, thus not on the list. They may make it back on. He will add and remove stocks from the list.

thank you praire you are proving my point exactly ! there's more talent in a cmf forum html &#38 - all for free, too - than some purveyors of investment newsletters will ever know in their lifetimes.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I like the newsletter. In addition to the list he updates with tid bits, and info such as dividend increases, etc.

I like the dividend growth style, and each to their own I suppose.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts