Canadian Money Forum banner

List of Dividend Stocks from Connolly Report?

39K views 67 replies 19 participants last post by  cannew 
#1 ·
Does anybody subscribe to Connolly Report? I'm trying to find out the list of the 23 dividend stocks for which the author calculates the dollar cost of 1 dividend dollar. I've calculated the figure for the eight Canadian banks below and the cost of one dividend dollar for banks is $24.21.

Royal Bank
TD
Scotia Bank
BMO
CIBC
National Bank
CWB
LB

But in the end, I would like to find out the full list of dividend stocks on the Connolly Report. From various posts I've seen these stocks mentioned.

Fortis
Canadian Utilities
BCE
Canadian Banks (which ones?)
Sunlife
Power Corporation

#5 ·
This is my current watch list of stocks:

Banks
Royal Bank
TD
Scotia Bank
BMO
CIBC
National Bank
Canada West Bank
Laurentian Bank
Dividend $ Cost $24.21

Insurance
Power Corporation Canada
Sunlife Canada
Manulife Canada
Dividend $ Cost $17.69

Telecom
Bell Canada
Telus Canada
Rogers Canada
Shaw Canada
Manitoba Telecom Canada
Dividend $ Cost $22.93

Utilities
Canadian Utilities Canada
Fortis Canada
Dividend $ Cost $34.65

Energy
Husky Energy
Canadian Oil Sands
Transcanada Corp
Enbridge
Dividend $ Cost $25.64

Food
Loblaw
Shoppers
Canada Bread
Tim Hortons
Dividend $ Cost $36.26

#11 ·
That's exactly how I got on the list a few years ago, but I'm not a subscriber anymore. I wasn't interested in the names so much as the method, even after 3 years of subscribing I still didn't get it. I learnt more in a couple months just from reading Susan Brunner's blog - for free.

#18 ·
i'm no expert on dividends but i get the impression you should basically own a large chunk of this list and then go south of the border to hunt for lesser known names and diamonds in the rough ... a 5th grader could draw up the canada list .. though perhaps timing in and out matters except doesn't he hold for very long periods and rarely sells ?

#8 ·
why would anyone pay $10 for a list of pablum ? everybody knows what's on that list.

that highly defensive stocks like food-related & supermarket chains get pushed up in nervous market cycles is widely known.

one could argue that these are the times to stop buying pablum & start buying cheap overlooked disparaged sectors that are out of fashion. Sectors that sometimes don't even have dividends.

archerETF had a post on here recently about how energy etfs are undervalued. Energy stocks themselves - which i'll take any day over etfs - have indeed been undervalued. Energy-related stocks like coal, uranium & junior drillers are near cyclical lows. They might seem to be pulling out of it recently. However, every round of headlines about unsold inventory piling up in chinese export warehouses daunts them. Still, there are some good buys with good potential for capital gains in the resource sector.

i don't mind breakfast cereal, i have a healthy assortment in the portf. It's the idea of paying $10 to get into the store that sells the well-known 20 or 30 top brands that seems ridic.

#13 ·
i don't even like his list. Where's telus, for example.

some weakish stocks like the power group. Weakened by large european exposure to pargesa in parent power corporation, not to speak of market weakness affecting insurance companies.

#14 · (Edited)
Does anybody have a good link on when to buy dividend stocks? I've seen suggestions to look at historical yields and P/E ratios. Many say that buying at a fair price is extremely important. I guess back in 2008-2009 (or even in 2011) it was pretty obvious that many stocks were on sale. However, how do I go about it at the moment?

For instance, Shoppers and Tim Hortons have low yields (2.5 and 1.6%) but great dividend growth so far. That has pushed their P/E to 15/20, making the assumption that the growth is sustainable. If that rate is sustainable then their yield will outpace that of banks' in 10 years. But that's a huge if.

Or, simply take Canadian Banks at the moment. P/E and yield wise they are good - sort of in the middle of historical valuation. Do I buy? Or do I wait for that great moment when the stock is even cheaper? What if it doesn't become cheaper?:):) Do I keep selling put options at the price I like the stock? Any words of wisdom and experience are highly appreciated.

#22 ·
Telus cut their dividend a while back. Dividend growth investing seeks a history of dividend growth, thus telus is out for now. Plus telus yields less than say bce, making it more popular and expensive according to connollys criteria.

You are not a dividend growth investor. Nothing wrong with that. I (we believe ) in eventually living off the hopefully growing income of dividends, and not capital appreciation.

Is dividend growth investing "the best"? No.

Read "the dick Davis dividend" book. He covers all investing from indexing, to dividend growth to options, value investing, etc.

Everything works, but nothing works forever. What I took from that is pick an investing style you are comfortable with and stick with it come he'll or high water.

Everyone believed buffet was wrong during the tech stock craze. He prevailed by sticking to his guns.

If you keep flipping from style to style you will almost certainly jump ship just at the wrong time.

You mention apple. I. Like apple. I own an iPad, iPhone, Mac pro, apple tv, and an iPod. I would not buy apple because of the lack of dividend. Now that they pay a dividend, and if they grow it I may reconsider.

Dividend growth investors don't select stock just based on the dividend. Connolly prefers non cyclical stock , reasonably valued, with a history of dividend increases.

Increased eps, and payout ratios, debt, etc also come into play.

I enjoy the newsletter, and the dividend growth investment style makes sense to me, I am comfortable with it, and I understand it.

It may not be for you and that Is fine.

#29 ·
Telus reduced their dividend in 2002.
praire so sorry about the dissing. But please be serious. Company cut its dividend an entire generation ago - that's 10 long years ago - & your school of investing believes that is sufficient reason to boycott such a company today ?? tch tch.

ps i had never heard of T. Connolly, purveyor of dividendgrowth dot ca. But i did look at the public portion of his blog & i understand why it was always below the radar. It's simplistic. I really cannot understand why anyone would pay for such contents. Much is derived from other websites & articles. Mr. T. Connolly is highly conscientious about crediting his sources, though. Seems like a nice person.

but. why. pay. for. pablum. As i mentioned, there is more original talent in a single cmf forum html than in most of these single-author blogs. My belief is that the high cmf quality comes from the fact that there are so very many talented posters & they are highly diversified. For whatever reason, expertise is swimming in this forum. All offered for free. It's a camelot moment.

#27 ·
I don't know what the criteria for inclusion is either, but based on the list, it seems neither very original nor creative and it likely suffers from a fair amount of backward looking bias.

With all the emphasis on financial stocks, there are just way too many "black boxes" involved to test my comfort level. We've already had a taste of the maelstrom that can occur when that murky world starts to unravel. Do you really want to test it again at such a high concentration?

With respect to dividend growth -- whatever is fashionable will be highly sought after especially after a period of extended good results. It works until it doesn't work anymore and we've seen this in countless other iterations of investment fads over the years.

Finally, if you need someone to tell you what stocks to buy and more importantly when to buy them, chances are you shouldn't be buying individual stocks in the first place. If these guys were really good, they wouldn't be sharing their secrets with any Joe whose got a $10 bill. The dirty truth is that they make more money from telling you what to do than they can possibly make from doing it themselves.

#32 ·
I think that, rather than focusing on consecutive years of dividend increases, you should look for the 5-year average growth rate of the dividend. For examples, the banks' put their dividend increases on hold for a few years due to the financial crisis/economic climate. Now they're all increasing their dividends again.

I use this site to look up more information on a specific company, including consecutive years of dividend increases, dividend growth rate, dividend payout ratio – just type in the ticker symbol.

For Canadian stocks – http://www.dividendinvestor.ca
For US Stocks – http://www.dividendinvestor.com

TELUS, for example, has 7 consecutive years of increases and their 5-year average dividend growth rate is 10.83%

I also look at the current yield compared to the 5-year average yield. If it's lower, that means the stock might be over priced.

#34 · (Edited)
I use this site to look up more information on a specific company, including consecutive years of dividend increases, dividend growth rate, dividend payout ratio – just type in the ticker symbol.
For Canadian stocks – http://www.dividendinvestor.ca
For US Stocks – http://www.dividendinvestor.com
For a specific company & for accuracy, I first go right to the source [though not always updated either]. For example:

CNR - next dividend payable on Sept.28th = $.375; yield = 1.65%, both of which are low, but impressive & consecutive 16 year dividend increase history!

Source: http://www.cn.ca/en/investors-shareholder-dividends.htm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.