Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately i noticed a lot of ads offering Work at Home online (data entry, surveys etc). Most likely majority of those jobs are scam.... anybody knows any legitimate Work at Home online websites?

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
As someone who has worked at home since 1994 (with a one-year break around 1999 when I rented an office because I felt too isolated), I think your best approach is to think about the types of jobs that could be done mostly or entirely at home and apply for those, rather than looking for sites that advertise jobs specifically because they can be done from home. In my experience, as you point out, most "work from home" sites and advertisements are likely to be scams of one sort or another.

A better approach is to think about what kind of work can be done at home. I started working at home when I was a journalist, and my current work involves writing, editing, website development and management, and project management. All of those can be done at home provided the employer is open to the idea and the specifics of the tasks allow it. I had to pass up one dream job because the employer really felt that I would need to be on site, and as I discussed the job with him I came to the same conclusion.

Another approach (which is actually what I did) is to start by working in the office, and then after you've been there for a couple of years and proved your worth, ask your boss if you can work at home -- even for part of the week. In my case, I would drive 35-70 minutes (depending on how bad the traffic was) to my company's headquarters, walk to a cubicle, and spend all day there working with minimal interaction with my colleagues. After a while I wondered what's the point, and I asked my boss if I could work at home. She said yes, and then I said, "can home be anywhere?" She said "anywhere within reason," meaning that she wanted me to be close enough to be able to attend monthly staff meetings, but that was it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are many legitimate jobs you can do online. Some of them pay you through paypal, others send you cheques or gift cards. I heard Amazon's mechanical turk is a good option. Unfortunately I find that a lot of US based online jobs are not permitted for Canadians.

Reviewopedia has a list of reputable online jobs sites, from micro jobs to paid surveys.
http://reviewopedia.com/workathome/7-ways-to-make-money-online/

Although it's possible to make a living from online income it won't be easy. Don't be discouraged if you only manage to make a couple dollars a day in the beginning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I work from home working on websites, I "make money online" and will be the first to tell you there are A LOT of scams out there, but it is possible

The easiest way to work from home is to start your own business, or buy one that someone is selling and is a work from home business.

If you are handy with computers you could try starting your own website, this is what I did about 5 years ago, and it took about 4 years before I could quit my job and work from home. (the best time to start is yesterday ;) )

There are a lot of resources and blogs out there about making money with websites, but like I said before, try not to get suckered into buying all kinds of e-books as most of the good information has been written about on blogs for free.

It took me 3 years of casually building sites, and 1 year of REALLY trying to make money online before I quit my job. I learned everything for free by printing off articles from blogs and websites that talked about how to do it.

Here are the top ways to make money online, from home
  • Sell your own products
  • Sell an informational product (how to e-books, guides, etc)
  • Sell someone elses products (you make money as an affiliate and get about 2-20% commission depending on the site / program)
  • Advertising on your website - the most popular is google adsense

·
Registered
5 Posts
Stuff like online surveys pay out very little. And if you're starting from scratch and looking to launch a brand new website in hopes of cashing in big on online ads, just know it'll take months if not years to get anything worthwhile coming in.

Simple things you can start with include doing some freelance writing. Sites like About.com pay new contributers $500 month for a minimum of 12 articles a month. After a year or 2, they'll review your status and you can negotiate a higher fee.

You can also submit articles to a number of other sites such as Suite 101, but their payment structure is a bit different. You earn a cut of the ad dollars.

You can't live off this amount of money, but you can use it to supplement your current salary.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
Affiliates sites are the most profitable online ,checkout commission junction to see what sort of money programs will pay for each niche .Then hopefully you will find something that is interesting you ,then set up a website and start blogging :)

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Lately i noticed a lot of ads offering Work at Home online (data entry, surveys etc). Most likely majority of those jobs are scam.... anybody knows any legitimate Work at Home online websites?
My question to you would be what are your skills? or even what are your hobbies.

Sometimes you can turn them into a good profit (depending on your skills and talents).

For example if you are a photographer, graphic designer, videographer you can sign up with online stock agencies who will sell your products on your behalf. Mind you it requires alot of effort to make decent money, and it probably is best for anyone from a country where a cost of living is much cheaper than here, but it can be done. I know few poeple who bring in over 100K a year from that, but you have to be very good. I did that myself but since my talents are limited I stopped doing it few years ago, yet the money still continue to trickle in from the sales I get.

You can also make money on youtube, not sure how exactly it works but I am guessing it depends on how many hits your upload gets, a family member (he is 19 or so) makes about $300 per month from it, not sure how much effort he puts into it though.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
I recently found an interesting business ran out of a home. He basically responds to products people want in certain forums and machines simple titanium tools. He posts on a blog when they are ready and sells first come first serve. People will pay the outrageous price I'm not sure because nobody else makes this stuff or the uniquness. He sells out a batch almost instantly for thousands

I find most businesses today are out of tune with customers. The ones on the forums are quickly improving their products. This guy takes it a step further

http://atwoodknives.blogspot.com/

·
Registered
53 Posts
It really depends on what you're interested in. I know several call centres that have work at home opportunities
Rogers, and Transcom North America being 2 of them.
They are both inbound call centres
I used to work for Transcom so I know it;s legit and I know a few people who have done the same for rogers :)

Also, if you have any certain skills (writing, translation, web development underwriting research etc etc etc
There are websites like eLance and oDesk that connect work at home people with employers.
I currently do some work on the side for oDesk for a bit of extra money.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions please let me know :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi James
Yes it can be a great way to earn some extra money. Please let her know if she is interested and signs up that it can be a little challenging to get your first job but once she gets a few under her belt and gets a good rating from the employers offers will come in quite often. I had 2 alone today
If she does end up signing up and has any questions send me a PM and I will try my best to help her

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Thanks, it looks like there are a lot of low paying grunt work data entry things tat pay very little but would be a good starting point to get references

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes there are thousands
Best bet generally is to find a job looking to hire someone in North America and that's when you can get a good wage. Also let her know if she does sign up to take the tests as the results are shown on her personal page and employers like to see fluent english speakers and people good with customer service.

·
Registered
14,320 Posts
Hi James
Yes it can be a great way to earn some extra money. Please let her know if she is interested and signs up that it can be a little challenging to get your first job but once she gets a few under her belt and gets a good rating from the employers offers will come in quite often. I had 2 alone today
If she does end up signing up and has any questions send me a PM and I will try my best to help her
I was looking at odesk a little while ago. What areas of that site offer the best opportunities?

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are several.
Customer service is a big one, outbound dialing for leads.
There are is a lot of technical jobs (web development, joomla, wordpress)
Mobile phone app development
Then there are random jobs that the employers just don't want to do themselves . I did one over the summer where I looked for mobile homes for sale within a 100m radius of Washington DC so the employer could buy them and flip them. Was paid a good bit for that. I like it because there are so many different job opportunities and it's flexible. You can find 1 job and work it for 40 or 50 hours a week or find a few that add up to the hours you want to work.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
I know many guys working at fiverr.com making an average of $20 per hour doing small writing assignments.This is great for people with extra time and definitely a legit site and some very big corporations use this service.If you are looking for something like this ,that would be my first place to look.4 posts @ $5.00 each add up.

·
Registered
6,961 Posts
^ Thanks marina628, didn't know that ... beats blogging for free.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello James...

There are many jobs that you can do on internet in order to get money as a reward. Most of them are easy to do while few are tough, you need to be skilled in. Some such as surveys, ad clicking can be done easily but are not good in money making. That's why start a job for long journey which may take some long time to get start earning money but the money will be huge if you done it in their right way. For more details and ideas that how to start and what to start, read this blog (www.collegestudentsjobs.com). I've read this blog and found it helpful. Hope it help you too...

Thanks

1 - 20 of 26 Posts