Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking that the best way to get a cheap place would be to find some farmer to lease me say 1-2 acres with water, hydro, road access, about 100km's from TO. I could but my own modular home there, i assume there wouldn't be a need for a permit?
When i look at the many leased land properties i see many dumpy looking trailer for say 50k when they are only worth 10k. The land lease seems like a good idea, if things don't work out can just leave and move the house somewhere else.
I'm also considering other houses with land lease that seem like an affordable option. For example a say one (real) house for 120k but the lease is $500 a month. But the property would otherwise be worth maybe $200,000+ so $80k difference. Consider tax would be 2k on the freehold house, that 3k per year or 30 years worth.
I also wonder how safe many of the house land leases are? I was surprise to see that the land leases are govern buy the LTB. What i gather is the native lease are no go but government control land should be safe even for a life time. It seems some lease are for 5 years or more, i even heard of a 'life lease' i was surprised even existed.
Would you buy a landlease houses? Do they cost more in then end? Yes i know many look dreadful (small, crowded piece of land) but some look like real bargains set on huge acreage.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've never asked about land leases before. Before i was thinking to buy land, but now i think that i will be too expensive with permits for septic and water. But i think if someone rents me land on their property it would be different, since there is so much agricultural land close to Toronto it makes sense. Or with this be a permit issue again?
I was also wondering what people thought about land leases in general.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
We had whole subdivisions built on leased land here in Vancouver. When originally built, they were cheaper, but then the land lease renewed at market rates, and many homeowners lost their equity. I live in a rental apartment on leased land. I get a deal because the land is priced in at 1967 rates. It is good for 99 years. But in 2066, watch for a catastrophe. I am not planning to be around then...

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I've never asked about land leases before. Before i was thinking to buy land, but now i think that i will be too expensive with permits for septic and water. But i think if someone rents me land on their property it would be different, since there is so much agricultural land close to Toronto it makes sense. Or with this be a permit issue again?
I was also wondering what people thought about land leases in general.
You can't evade regulatory requirements by building on leased land. You still need permits, and code-conforming water system, septic system, and building. Plus Hydro is going to charge you an arm & a leg to bring in power.

On top of which you are making capital improvements on land that you do not own Under most laws, any improvements that you are unable to remove become the property of the landowner when the lease expires.

·
Registered
2,892 Posts
Depending upon where you are planning to park the trailer you may want to check with the local municipality first. In Ontario, unless it is a registered trailer park, you cannot park a trailer on a property for long term residence in most municipalities.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
what about the possibility of a rural coop or group home for chaudi & newbie/wolf & perhaps belguy.

then Alice & the Froggy Footman could look after all 3 at once. Not much more trouble than looking after the Dormouse by himself.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
why not buy/rent a cheap house somewhere in SSW ontario? Something rural outside of chatham near lake Erie. Food and housing is cheap in the area. And you're by the lake and near some great parks for birdwatching.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I was considering Niagara area for a while then Chippewa, then i went to Chippewa a few times and realize what many people had told me; not a great area. I think a lot of pollution comes from the states also criminals. I see the same disparity from Hamilton, to Niagara, to ...Fort erie, to Windsor. I don't think the run down American cities such as Cleveland, Detroit, Pittsburgh are a such a good influence.
Crystal Beach looks okay but alot like Niagara falls, tourists are annoying after a while.
Those who like Lake Erie have you been to Georgian bay? i would like to hear your opinions.
At least for me GB is the prettiest area in Ontario. I think the neighbouring $$ cottages are a healthy sign, when you go to the cottage you go north! The place i'm looking at now is port mcncoll. i know midland has a bit of crime, but not worse than the places i mention or even say Oshawa.
The drive is much better on the 400 too. Lots evergreens after Barrie, that will be nice in winter. I figure it would be better to be in cottage country than a some run down town in south Ontario. The port is heading for million dollar expansion too, 300k+ for a new houses. a huge ship is parked there now too. They are hoping to make it to a bigger yacht destination, in 10-20 years it could be a quiet different at least better.... but who really knows. okay 1 guys was knifed a few weeks ago, it's a really small town. I wonder if it is the right thing to move near there? This is such a stress full decision. I know financial it will be much better for me, because you can't even rent a house for less than $800 or maybe $700 almost anywhere in Ontario, and if you do it won't be so good and no it would not be the same as owning a house for me. Renting is a big difference from owning. So in less than 10 year this house will have paid for it self in rent i figure. So i really have to move to my own house to save money.
But now it feels like the RE market is really bursting...this one cottage was $64k in 2002, now maybe 110k. Assuming it's a sound place, could it go back to 2002 prices in a few years? i guess it doesn't matter because i will save on spending on rent around 10k a year. I hate big decisions. At least i'll have a cheap place to live, i guess the locals can't be that bad. I'm still confused why it is so cheaper in that area compared to another 1 hour drive north, like Parry Sound? Other than being more remote and more north.

·
Registered
7,335 Posts
Our family cottage was at Woodland Beach. Went there for many years. Spent trips in Midland, Penetang, Port McNicoll, Collingwood. It is becoming like Scarborough north with year round residents. We sold out in 2000. For $200k.

I lived in London and we tried Lake Erie and Lake Huron at the weekends. Not the same at all. Evidence of not much money. But we also did the Thousand Islands, Prince Edward County, Bay of Quinte when we lived in TO. It is nicer than Erie for sure but the prices show it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.