Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have a car with key fob ?

I am in the market for a new car to replace my 2005 suv. All models I have in mind are come with key fob.

I know there are a lot of theft of these type of cars lately. My neighbour lost his 6 months old on his driveway a year ago. And, a friend lost his 10 months old car just a week ago at a shopping centre parking lot. He told me he bought a set of snow tire and had them installed in a tire store 2 weeks before. There could be a possibility somebody in that store who stole the key fob frequency.

Anyway, in general, you have to give the key to the person to service your car sometime. How do you protect your key fob transmission frequency ?

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
I think that question might be better suited for the car dealership who's selling you the vehicle.

Short of that using my 2 cents here, either 1. buy a car that nobody is interested in stealing (or low theft rate), 2. park it in your garage or in a rental, and 3. if you must buy an expensive one, don't cheap-out and service it at a place other than your dealership.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Buy insurance. You could get a box that shields the frequency When parked at home. Or keep your car keys far away from the street so they can’t be scanned. I suppose the key could be scanned anywhere….while you’re out shopping or running errands.

this isn’t a new phenomenon. Mechanics have been known to copy the old style keys in the past……..and they had your home address too. Made thefts really easy.

Buy a club, install a hidden kill switch…or buy a manual.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, only thing I can think of is a bright coloured steering wheel lock.
Insurance for sure but it is a nuisance. My neighbour did not have the replacement car in the policy and ends up paying 2 weeks of rental. And then the time spent to shop for another....

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Buy a GM vehicle with Onstar.

You can track your vehicle's location and remotely shut it down.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
I am not sure where the OP lives but it sounds very sktetchy if thieves at auto shops are 'routinely' capturing code data on vehicles being serviced. Most owners of vehicles with immobilizers (since 2007 by law I believe) have compromised their own FOB security in some way such as leaving their FOB near the door of one's home, or someone at the dealerships is working a second occupation selling code data (has to be matched with specific VIN).

Every vehicle has a FOB these days with most operating via stop/start push button* rather than keyed ignition and every vehicle is equipped with an engine immobilizer where the ECM code data has be matched with the VIN. It should be pretty secure.

As others have said, have the right insurance coverage.

* Nissan introduced this as new technology circa 2006-2007 I believe. My 2007 Infiniti has it.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I saw something on the news the other day about this - https://globalnews.ca/video/8370971/caught-on-camera-range-rover-stolen-in-seconds-in-toronto

Several cars stolen when parked in driveway outside homes. Some of the thefts caught on security video. The second one in the video shows a thief coming to car first to read the VIN. Then going away and coming back it seems with programmed FOB and then he drives away.

It is a problem, and having insurance is not a "solution". Nor are kill switches, unless specially designed (otherwise car loses it's settings). This article from UK offers some suggestions.

This report explains why immobilizers built into our cars often don't work.

I would think that a simple hidden switch that disconnects the fuel pump or the wiring to the starter solenoid would do the trick.

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
Just saw this subject-related article (most behind a paywall):

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2021/11/18/a-video-caught-a-car-scouting-his-toyota-then-his-neighbours-honda-was-stolen.html?

Some take-aways from the article:

Eight of the top 10 most commonly stolen brands are either Honda/Acura or Toyota/Lexus products. Almost every one of the more than 100 readers who reached out to the Star had one of those vehicles stolen. Some have had two, not unusual because as one Toronto police detective told the Star: “They take your vehicle and figure insurance will pay out, so let’s check by later and see what shows up in the driveway.”

Like many of the Star readers who were victims of car theft, Sylvia raises practical solutions. Here’s a sample of suggestions by her and others:

Install a password so that the car cannot be driven without it. Provide something that covers the VIN so that thieves cannot see it. Provide new car buyers with a steering wheel lock and a Faraday pouch for the fobs (useful against some car thieves, police say). Have car companies warn owners of theft concerns and what they can do about it.

Honda has not yet responded to questions from the Star about the rising thefts of their product.
Toyota Canada’s public relations manager Michael Bouliane said Toyota is “committed to helping address the security challenges that are facing the entire auto industry by continuing to develop technology that strengthens the security of our vehicles.”

Bouliane said “greater demand for these vehicles in overseas markets leads to increased targeting of these vehicles by thieves.” He said he cannot discuss anti-theft features for fear that this would “assist thieves.”

In relation to key fobs that police say can be too easily copied, Bouliane said Toyota has developed a feature that “turns the Key FOB off.” The Star checked a Toyota owners manual and found this feature — listed under the heading “Battery Saving Function.”

·
Registered
lean-FIRE fan
18 Posts
Can I be the most old-fashioned Millennial here and recommend a steering wheel stick, aka the most manual and clunky anti-theft device? Add that to your smart fob car, and enjoy the "WTF? WTAF?" reaction from any aspiring thieves hahaha

...of course, that can also backfire if they jam the stick's lock. That's how I found myself sawing through my lemon car's steering wheel to get the thing off in order to make it to work and avoid getting fired, many years ago. Ahhh, Vegas... :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Can I be the most old-fashioned Millennial here and recommend a steering wheel stick, aka the most manual and clunky anti-theft device? Add that to your smart fob car, and enjoy the "WTF? WTAF?" reaction from any aspiring thieves hahaha
It takes a very short time to cut the steering wheel with a manual saw. Little more than an annoyance if they really want the car.

·
Registered
12,324 Posts
It takes a very short time to cut the steering wheel with a manual saw. Little more than an annoyance if they really want the car.
True, but it is easier to find a less challenging target elsewhere most of the time. These things are deterrents like an alarm system for the house. Better my neighbour get robbed than me.

·
Registered
lean-FIRE fan
18 Posts
True, but it is easier to find a less challenging target elsewhere most of the time. These things are deterrents like an alarm system for the house. Better my neighbour get robbed than me.
I was about to post a very similar reply haha. It's true that nothing can deter a truly resourceful and determined individual. However, if someone's only tool is the key fob hacker and they find something they're not equipped for... A bad metaphor would be like trying to rob a store that doesn't carry cash. :p The most you can do is stuff a bunch of beef jerky in your bag and run for it: someone can still grab random stuff from your car (snacks, sunglasses, stereo, etc) but the main crime will be foiled.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hummm, the 2 models I am looking at are in the top 10 most stolen car in Canada....

This problem has been around for quite a few years and don't know why the car manufacturer couldn't come up with something. Guess the thieves would find a way to bypass them somehow. Or, they can pull out couple of wires under the dashboard, connect them and drive away like those in the movies, LOL !

1 - 19 of 19 Posts