Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The reason I am shopping a new car is an excuse to get these hi-tech features, such as reverse camera, blind spot camera, heated seat and so on.
Anybody with those cars, what features you like most ?

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
Heated seats and heated steering wheel are my top ones. I won't buy another vehicle without them.

The driver assistance technology is great. The large screen and Bose 9 speaker audio system is really good.

Then the automatic tailgate, and panoramic glass sunroof are nice to have but seldom used.

Wireless cellphone charging works well. The remote start is great in the winter.

Our vehicle came into the dealership will all the packages already included, so there was nothing else available for us to pick out and add.

But we are happy with it all anyways. It just saved me some decisions.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
The one thing our vehicle is missing that I did want is a navigation system.

The vehicle has wireless connecting to Android Auto to provide navigation on screen, but my LG phone won't connect with it.

I can set it up with a cord and have a Garmin GPS in the car........but it is just so much easier if it is pre-installed into the audio system.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
The great news is that all the latest cars have a good majority of those high-tech gadgets by default. I enjoy them all.
A couple that really irritate me:

• Start/Stop feature. Most cars provide the option to turn this off. Some won't save that setting, needing to manually turn it off each time you start the car. (If you go EV, this option is not a concern)
  • Collision avoidance. Again, a feature you can't really turn off permanently. Some are very sensitive. This feature almost caused me a rear-end collision.

·
Super Moderator
4,521 Posts
The features I mainly use,
  • Remote start
  • Heated steering wheel (option to auto turn on with remote start)

To a lesser degree,
  • Heated seats
  • Backup camera (nice for trailer related activities)

New features I have no use for and would never buy if I could avoid them,
  • Blind spot, lane centering, collision warning, etc
  • Navigation
  • Engine start/stop

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Heated seats, power seats & mirrors, sunroof, leather for a start are must haves. Regular fuel (not hitest). Never bother with bluetooth so not an issue.

Backup camera nice to have. Do not care about navigation unless there are automatic, free map updates. Our Garmin works just fine. Never bothered paying the ridiculous premium to update the maps on our Accord.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The one thing our vehicle is missing that I did want is a navigation system.

The vehicle has wireless connecting to Android Auto to provide navigation on screen, but my LG phone won't connect with it.

I can set it up with a cord and have a Garmin GPS in the car........but it is just so much easier if it is pre-installed into the audio system.
I use a phone and Android Auto for my navigation. It's all controlled thru the car. Not sure how it's harder than the built in navigation. I did that as they wanted $1,500 for the built in navigation.

I've driven a few cars with lane keep assist or whatever the name other manufacturers use, I can't stand it.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Android Auto or Apple CarPlay is far better

Your smartphone already has the most advanced navsat chip that connects to far more satellites constellations than just GPS and it can easily move to any vehicle. Way more navigation app options on Android and iOS such as Waze that update seamlessly. With or without the screen integration doesn't really matter to me smartphone screens are so good today and it's effortless with or without magnetic docks, bluetooth and wireless charging or even wired is very easy

Anyone paying $1500 for a navigation package is a salesman's best friend imo Better to spend that on aftermarket kit or upgrade your phone etc

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
The other thing I wish I had........the camera on the rearview mirror instead of a mirror.

I saw one and it was slick. No interference by the car pillars, back seat, headrests, small window, snow, kids, or anything and a nice bright wide view.

They say if you have one of those, you don't really need side mirrors. Perhaps some day the side mirrors will be cameras in the dash as well.

The more they can get rid of blind spots the better. Some cars like the Camaro or Mustang are brutal to see out of because of small windows and sloping roof.

·
Registered
17,178 Posts
We have to back out into traffic going by in the parking lot, and we have a full size truck beside us.

I can back in every time I come home like some neighbors, but the wife isn't interested in doing that so the wide angle camera works for her.

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
They say if you have one of those, you don't really need side mirrors. Perhaps some day the side mirrors will be cameras in the dash as well.
Tesla has been saying that for like a decade now. They already have side cameras that are better and the side mirrors reduce efficiency. Plus they just ugly

Probably a bunch of boomers at the NHTSA just counting the days to their pension.

·
Registered
469 Posts
How about something to prevent the driver from zombie-driving. Something that will prevent drivers and passengers from opening the door until they've check for cyclists. Something that will make the vehicle stop at stop signs. Something that will prevent pedestrian and cyclist injuries and deaths upon collision.

·
Super Moderator
4,521 Posts
Tesla has been saying that for like a decade now. They already have side cameras that are better and the side mirrors reduce efficiency. Plus they just ugly
Side mirrors aren't really a big deal* and I haven't seen the side camera views but I'm fine with turning my head to check. Too many idiots use their side mirrors only when lane changing.

*Helpful in some trailering situations.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
We have one recent car - A 2019 Subaru Outback. It probably has heated seats and steering, but if so, I have never used them. The car is either in the garage or driven to some place where it is warm. Our 98 Mercedes has heated seats and wheel, but again, they seldom get used. We ordered our previous 2014 Mercedes SUV without most of the features that are now common.

The outback has NAV. The software and maps are not that great, but we find it very useful. Some owners use Android Auto once the free Subaru map updates end or even from the outset. On our Mercedes, we use a Garmin with lifetime updates, but the Subaru's built in NAV is much neater with both on-screen and dash directions. I wouldn't do without some sort of NAV unless you never leave your neighborhood.

The Subaru has what they call Eyesite. I didn't want it, but the car in stock had it. I am now very happy we got it.

• back-up camera is very useful. Especially as you get older and have trouble turning your head! It seems to also have side sensors because it shows obstructions on both sides as we back out of garage.
  • anti-collision front and back are useful. The car brakes itself when I almost back into shrubs when leaving garage! Same in tight parking spots. Haven't needed the front yet, but it is surely a great safety feature.
  • Adaptive cruise control is THE most useful feature for both of us, especially when highway driving. For those that don't have it, the Eyesight version will, as is normal,, keep you at set speed, but will slow you down as you approach a slower vehicle ahead. Then, if passing lane is open, you just turn car into that lane (making sure blind spot light is not flashing) and eyesight automatically accelerates the car back to the set speed. Safe an convenient.
  • Blind spot detection is equally useful.
  • Lane assist usually turned off. Keeps beeping!
  • Remote tailgate opening useful.
  • Voice control is next to useless.
  • No sunroof on Outback and would not get one. Never used and a future maintenance problem.
  • Bluetooth cell phone link useful.
  • Power seats & mirrors useful. Mercedes has memory for 2 or 3 drivers.

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
I use a phone and Android Auto for my navigation. It's all controlled thru the car. Not sure how it's harder than the built in navigation. I did that as they wanted $1,500 for the built in navigation.
Does using Google Maps or Wayze with Android Auto or Apple require a data connection? We don't have that on our payasyou go smartphones. Phone plan with data would cost us something like $600/yr and only work in Canada?

We can download free Google Maps on our phones with NAV for limited area. Not sure if those would work with Android Auto? But not useful for long trips.

Our Outback came with 3 years of free map updates. Just about to expire. We could pay US$300 for another 3 years, but don't think we will do that. Not many roads will change in 3 years and the existing maps will still work.

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
The other thing I wish I had........the camera on the rearview mirror instead of a mirror.

I saw one and it was slick. No interference by the car pillars, back seat, headrests, small window, snow, kids, or anything and a nice bright wide view.

The more they can get rid of blind spots the better. Some cars like the Camaro or Mustang are brutal to see out of because of small windows and sloping roof.
My accord has a camera built into the passenger side mirror. Quite handy. It displays your blind spot on the centre screen.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Because they've been going the way of the Dodo birds, but I still want a manual transmission. Every car I've personally owned as always been a stick shift.

Why choose a manual transmission, because it keeps the driver much more engaged in the act of driving the car and you have full control over gears and when to shift. Plus a manual transmission has become a very good theft deterrent system.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts