Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else in a hiring decision role that is frustrated with the lack of good candidates out there?

I understand all the reasons for the labor shortage we are experiencing; wave of baby boomers retiring or early retirement, lack of immigrants, etc.

What I don't understand is the poor quality of candidates that are seeking jobs. Are they simply being amplified due to the lack of overall candidates? Or is this the new wave of 'quality', employers are forced to accept?

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
^ Partly that along with the "attitudes" of many employers, particularly those at the hiring-decision-makers level.

I'm sure the "quality" just gets better with the "dime-by-the-dozens" remarks that I often hear from ex-bosses. LMAO.

·
Registered
2,959 Posts
Can’t find any pool lifeguards. COVID put a stop to most accreditation programs so there’s a large gap in qualified candidates. They lowered the eligible age to 15, but that doesn’t seem to have helped.

take care at pools and beaches this summer.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
In Aberta and BC hiring skilled trades people is the biggest challenge for my SIL's business.

Pay scale is not the issue. Skilled people are being paid well in this time of staffing shortages.

Do not know about the service industry jobs.

We are also experiencing a shortage of professional workers in the health care sector. Exacerbated by those leaving their profession for more lucrative employment opportunities or those exiting the Province. It is moving from just a shortage to an alarming/critical shortage in some parts of the Province.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe has to do with the pay scale and benefits ?
Not at all.

That was maybe the case at the beginning but everyone has had to adjust. To be honest, I find I am overpaying certain candidates given their limited experience and mediocre attitudes.

University degrees mean nothing anymore. It seems the new generation put no importance on work ethics.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Not at all.

That was maybe the case at the beginning but everyone has had to adjust. To be honest, I find I am overpaying certain candidates given their limited experience and mediocre attitudes.

University degrees mean nothing anymore. It seems the new generation put no importance on work ethics.
Well I have definitely seen the mediocre attitudes. Some folks just don't like to work and believe they should be given money just because they exist.

What industry?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Pretty hard to judge work ethics based on 30min conversation, however overall trend in society is certainly negative when it comes to intelligence, focus, and ethics. The short attention span and need for constant stimulation is not conductive to most work environments

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Pretty hard to judge work ethics based on 30min conversation, however overall trend in society is certainly negative when it comes to intelligence, focus, and ethics. The short attention span and need for constant stimulation is not conductive to most work environments
... for a change I would have to agree with this. But this starts with the company's leaders that are providing the "examples" first, especially the latter part/2nd sentence. That's known as the "need for 'innovation'" or the modern version thereof. LMAO.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@afulldeck It seems I hear the same complaints regardless the industry. Retail/Food/Sservice industry seem to be affected the most. Its not much different trying to find skilled candidates in the Finance/Banking industry.

@damian13ster They say a hiring manager knows within the first 15 seconds if the candidate in front of them will be hired or not. I totally agree with this statement. Attitude, character, demeanor are all worth more than tenure which is often mistaken for experience.

@Beaver101 While I agree some leaders fail to keep their staff motivated, I am not convinced its the majority. Lets not forget, the new generation of candidates entering the workforce will be future leaders themselves.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
We are also experiencing a shortage of professional workers in the health care sector. Exacerbated by those leaving their profession for more lucrative employment opportunities or those exiting the Province. It is moving from just a shortage to an alarming/critical shortage in some parts of the Province.
Thanks to the UCP and Jason Kenney for destroying the AB healthcare system.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
From what I can tell, a big part of the labour shortage in technical sectors is directly attributable to people not doing their jobs. For some reason, companies just keep hiring more when they should be culling the dead wood.

Reactions: scorpion_ca

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Thanks to the UCP and Jason Kenney for destroying the AB healthcare system.
Alberta spends more per capita on health care than any other province in the country
The problem out here are the unions. And they are driving good nurses and doctors away. I know tens that decided they had enough with union bullshit in Alberta and decided to move to the States where they got welcomed with open hands

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I had meetings today and the labor shortage discussion came up as part of the informal chat. We all agreed that we are facing a huge shortage in the construction industry across most of the country now and for the next few years. The discussion was good as we focused on promoting the positive aspects of the skilled trades. We didn't feel that the quality was lacking as much as there was a just a large shortage in general. Unfortunately, whether we like it or not, employers are going to be competing for workers across all industries until unemployment numbers rise. The reality is when there are more jobs than job seekers one is going to see less quality unless you the employer is going above and beyond the market average. My experience in consulting with new entrants to the industry the past few years is that there is less focus on earnings than in years past. Of course monetary compensation is always appreciated this is a lower priority than it once was. I am not sure if this observation is just my own, regional, or industry specific. Perhaps, I was just greedy and would work as many hours as I could.

·
Registered
703 Posts
There are lots of reasons for people not wanting to rgeturn to work. I'm retired and don't really want to give up any of my free time for more of the BS of the previous 30+ years. I could get a low level job but why would I settle for minimum wage or doing gig work? I'm part of the FIRE movement when I took retirement at 55. Then there are those who joined FIRE younger. We had options and working isn't necessarily one of them.

There are people who now are reconsidering their career choices since the pandemic started. In the beginning, there was a surge in nursing enrollments. Now, there are nurses considering leaving because of the lack of respect they get (covid-deniers protesting in front of hospitals, etc, unpaid sick days, minimum pay at private LTC facilities). But that's not limited to nurses. People are finding options and putting up with sh*t from employers may not be one of them. It has been awhile since we heard employers telling people they're lucky to be working or their jobs could be outsourced over-seas.

And then there are the young entry level workers who saw what their parents had gone through being restructured out of work even though they were considered to be their employers' most valuable assets. So they really don't want to enter into that kind of life. It's much different from the careers their grandparents had where a lifetime of hardwork translated into a secure retirement.

·
Registered
4,645 Posts
I don't think it's due to lack of available workers.

In my experience, the compensation is not enough. Not to say people aren't working, but people are hopping around. Nobody is loyal. There are many people "between jobs" as they look for something better.

This rotation causes people not to care as there are many options. Most (let me repeat before I get castrated) MOST* People are looking for good compensation where they can fk the dog on the daily. They are hopping around until they find a good fit because they know employers need people.

This has been my experience, at least, in Ontario.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'm retired and don't really want to give up any of my free time for more of the BS of the previous 30+ years.
So many work environments are steel cage matches of attrition. It's heartbreaking to think about what it's doing to those who have to work in that. Anger is a terrible disability that spreads like a virus.

We had a guy who would open a meeting by explaining how stupid someone was. He would focus on a ton of different people, over the years. I recall saying, "Hey! He is a good guy and he's on our team." The response... "Yeah, and he's dumb as F*." My gawd. lol!

Reactions: james4beach

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I don't think it's due to lack of available workers.

In my experience, the compensation is not enough. Not to say people aren't working, but people are hopping around. Nobody is loyal. There are many people "between jobs" as they look for something better.

This rotation causes people not to care as there are many options. Most (let me repeat before I get castrated) MOST* People are looking for good compensation where they can fk the dog on the daily. They are hopping around until they find a good fit because they know employers need people.

This has been my experience, at least, in Ontario.
I think employer and employee loyalty no longer exists. Both parties understand that the probability that 5, 10 or 15 years from now it is unlikely they will still be part of each others lives. This is a general statement and there are great employers out there. They will attract the cream of the crop as a result. In the current climate, workers(both good and bad) are definitely shopping around. One area that I think employers should focus more attention is spending more time, money and effort on retention. I know of several employers in my field that will pay more to new hires to attract supply. Meanwhile an equivalent employee is given meagre increases and makes less than the new hire. In these instances it's easy to see why they have a revolving door of employees.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Labor shortage is nothing but a propaganda. North American company wants cheap slave when the management is making a ton of money for themselves.

In 2020, top CEOs earned 351 times more than the typical worker

1 - 20 of 81 Posts