Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Kitimat Clean Ltd. is a private British Columbia company set up to plan, construct and operate an oil refinery in Kitimat, BC. The refinery will feature state-of-the-art design, specifically for processing Alberta oil sands heavy crude oil, and engineered to be the cleanest upgrading and refining site in the world."
http://kitimatclean.ca/

Short interview with Kitimat Clean president David Black.
http://www.newstalk770.com/audio-on-demand-2/
-audio vault
Dec 22/15 - 8:00 AM
-starts at 8h:46m:50s

Snip from Calgary Herald:
Canadian National Railway Co. has rail lines connecting Fort McMurray, Alta. and Kitimat.

“I’ve been talking to CN (Rail) and terminal operators in Alberta about how we ship 100 per cent bitumen,” Black said.

Oilsands bitumen needs to be cut with diluent, which turns the mixture into slurry, in order to travel through a pipeline. Black said that by using railway cars he could eliminate the need for costly diluent, potentially allowing producers to ship more bitumen to his proposed refinery without a pipeline.

“I think it might be a better way than the pipeline,” Black said, referring to potential spills and safety issues.
http://calgaryherald.com/business/e...-a-plan-for-a-west-coast-exit-for-canadas-oil

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
there are 2 other equally important refinery proposals for west coast shipment of alberta heavy oil to asia.

all 3 projects deserve equal attention. They all involve innovative engineering, first nation participation & serious financing.

because i don't wish these other 2 projects to be concealed under a single-focused "Kitimat Clean" thread title, i think i'll open another thread ...

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
TimesColonist.com April 20, 2016

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/feds-b-c-to-assess-kitimat-clean-refinery-proposal-1.2235132

- a few snips : all quotes

• David Black’s proposed $22-billion oil refinery for B.C.’s northwest coast is now subject to the environmental assessment process after Kitimat Clean submitted its environmental project description to the federal and provincial governments at the end of March.
    -
  • “There’s no waste water from this kind of refinery. The only thing that could be an environmental issue are smokestacks, and the engineers tell me whatever the requirements are they can match.”
    -
  • The refinery is expected to have a lifespan of 50 years and is scheduled to be decommissioned in 2074. Located 13 kilometres north of Kitimat, it will be built to process up to 400,000 barrels of bitumen into fuel products, including gasoline, diesel and jet fuel. It will also produce byproducts such as butane, propane and sulfur pellets.
    -
  • He said he has been told the rest of the money can be found in North America, but he is also speaking with potential investors in the Middle East and China.
    -
  • “It’s not as hard to finance as you might think,” Black said.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
What's not to like about this?

Seems to me that shipping the refined products is a heck of a lot smarter than shipping the crude sludge, which if and when the inevitable happens (in those treacherous, hard to navigate, ecologically sensitive waters teaming with life & an irreplacable source of seafood), the heavy unprocessed stuff would sink and be impossible to clean up.

Not so much with a spill of the refined stuff, much of which would either float or evaporate eventually, right?

I'm also not crazy about the thought of pipelines going through pristine remote hard-or-impossible-to-access rugged mountainous terrain when, even with all the supposed infallible leak-detection tech, because it doesn't seem to work, the clean-up would be a nightmare due to inaccessibility, if and when the inevitable leak happens.

Also, would be good for CNR, of which I happen to hold a few shares :)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
why keep on touting this one single project, though.

there are 3 competing west coast refinery projects. In addition to Kitimat Clean, there's Pacific Future Energy & Eagle Spirit Energy. Pacific Future also plans to ship neatbit by rail to kitimat. In fact, i believe SNC Lavalin for Pacific Future is said to have developed the neatbit rail technology?

not one of these projects is even off the drawing boards yet. It's way too soon to start promoting one over the other two. I'm left wondering what is going on, do we have a lobbyist in the forum? some body or some people with agendas to promote the david black project?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
heh :) hp it's the first time I've noticed this thread or even heard about the proposed project, or if I did it flew beneath my radar.

no conspiracy here, just zylon giving us a heads up :)

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
so sorry, but how does a publicity piece for david black's project count in any way as a heads-up?

the situation has been written about extensively in this forum. Kitimat clean is *not* the only proposal. There is a major thread re all 3 west coast refinery proposals under this link. This thread includes a detailed & fascinating - as always - response from altaRed as to why he believes all 3 of the new BC refinery proposals are fraught.

http://canadianmoneyforum.com/showt...ast-shipment?p=1093410&viewfull=1#post1093410

thread also considers Energy East & the possibility of Keystone acceptance if Clinton is elected.

given this torrent of information, parties who are still unilaterally promoting the david black proposal at this point in time do sound like lobbyists!

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
re post #6

What is the difference between mentioning news on this one company in a separate thread, and posting company particulars under a stock ticker in "Individual Stocks/Equities"? The reason I didn't post there is because this isn't a publicly traded company.

I know nothing about the other two companies, but I do like the concept of Kitimat Clean, so I post new developments as they unfold for the interest of forum members.

FYI: when the other thread was started, I asked Moderator to combine the two threads, as they cover the same topic. But I was ignored; so I'm okay with this being a stand alone thread.

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If this thread bothers anyone so much, feel free to use the "report post" button, and let Moderator/Admin decide.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
IMHO this topic - of staggering importance for alberta, for BC, for canada, for the whole of north america - is far too important to let vested interests control & promote one tiny thread in the overall extraordinarily rich story.

of the 3 new drawing-board refinery projects, financing for Pacific Future Energy appears to be more assured than the other 2. It's opaque, though. Their $$ appear to be offshore funds.

kitimat clean & eagle spirit have no big committed financial backers yet. Their banner at present seems to be Build a Plan & the Money will Come. I wonder.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
so sorry, but how does a publicity piece for david black's project count in any way as a heads-up?
it's the first time I've noticed this thread or even heard about the proposed project, or if I did it flew beneath my radar.
I suppose since it's old news to you h_p, I should then revise it to say zylon is giving some of us a heads up, as I've had little knowledge or interest in the transporting of heavy oil through the fragile west coast but I actually found this proposed project quite intriguing.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
mister pincer i gave you the link already. The other thread is loaded with more info than you'd ever want. Including an expert evaluation of success (dim) for the 3 embryo refinery proposals by none other than cmf's oilfields eminence grise.

IMHO the Alberta oil sands issue is far too important to manipulate it into one narrow little corner, especially when the manipulation is being done by parties who downright seem to want to extol their lack of news. Perhaps instead of sarcasm, you could have a little read & get yourself up to date?

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
h_p I've read bits and pieces of the thread you linked above, & will probably read it from end to end, but if you sense sarcasm in my posts above, you've misread me.

You spoke of suppressing a part of the story, I was merely politely asking for your rest of the story in the context of the info within this thread instead of trying to censor zylon.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
i have been extraordinarily polite through these past weeks of hyper-focus on only the david parker project.

i am certainly not trying to censor zylon in the least, it's grotesque to use such a word. I simply question why parties would deliberately ignore significant information about a national crisis when the information has been placed before their eyes time & time & time again.

anyone coming along at this point in time & pretending that only *one* project exists appears to be possibly a lobbyist or possibly someone with an agenda ... or perhaps someone who just doesn't pay attention to the news.

as it happens, i do find it sarcastic, after the extraordinary wealth of information that has been served up to you here, in threads that have taken weeks for several parties to painstakingly create & post, for you to sneer that every word must now be reproduced all over again, just for your lordship's personal benefit ...

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
^well, I think we all three (you, zylon, and I) who have thus far posted here can all agree, this thread now has sarcasm :hopelessness:

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
anyone coming along at this point in time & pretending that only *one* project exists appears to be possibly a lobbyist or possibly someone with an agenda ... or perhaps someone who just doesn't pay attention to the news.
h_p nobody is suggesting that but you.

& perhaps you've not read my post above about the fragility of the valuable living resources on the west coast & how this project seems to be a very possible sidestep to that very serious problem.

Because you've not even touched on it, only thrown a fit & filled the thread with negativity.

If you have something constructive to add here, possibly how the other two are competitive in the respect of the environment as this one seems to be, again, please go ahead.
___

I've worked in remote areas all over the coast, including helicopter fly-in only areas, so I do have a somewhat unique appreciation and respect, and this is the only one so far that has peaked my interest.

As I've said I'll read your thread (which was created four-plus months after this one was), so please, try to relax, maybe make yourself a cup of camomile tea or something.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
no one has "thrown a fit" or "filled the thread with negativity" except yourself.

since you say you've never read about or even heard about the other 2 projects - & since all 3 projects exist on drawing boards only - how could you possibly have any clue whether kitimat clean is more or less beneficial to the environment than the other 2 projects?

no one can make these judgments. All three projects are still too embryonic. Now is only a time for canadians to observe & to gather informaton.

it's your & zylon's irrational refusal to gather objective information about the mass of all 3 projects & your insistence that only the kitimat clean project is worthy of approval, that attracts skeptical attention.

specifically, in your case, since you know zero about Pacific Future or about Eagle Spirit, how could you be in a position to compare their environmental approaches?

btw "piqued my interest" is spelled "piqued," not "peaked." The root is the french verb picquer.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.