Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I had re-balancing to do in my rrsp ( my company stock, which I used to hold for the management bonus that came with the holding, has been all bought up in the process of my company being bought out by a public company ). I bought Killam , as well and Northwest Medical, some RioCan, and a bit of FirstService Corp. We already held Canadian Apartments reit, and FCR.

I am trying to be a bit more exposed to Real Estate since I know my bond holdings will be sinking as the US economy finally look set to reignite interest rate increases

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
I know interest rate increases will be a headwind for REITs. As mentioned on another thread, rent controls are attached to inflation rates. I am doing some preliminary screening for potential REITs to buy later this year. I have a fairly long list to whittle down but KMP came across my screen along with ERE, CAR, BEI, and IIP. I haven't looked at Killam in years. Does anybody still follow it?

·
Registered
4,640 Posts
As an aside...

I really love their embarkment in Ontario.
As an Ontario resident, I have been in many of their buildings. Well maintained. Clean. Nice. Higher scale.

They also have new developments all over in great locations. I'm a fan.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
KMP just sits in the RRSP perking out divvys along with about 8 other reits. We own about $12-18k in each one. Once one hits 18K we usually look around to see why, and often give it a haircut down to 12 and pour the funds into other reits that might currently be down on luck at the time but with modest term better hopes.

I put an extra 5k into KMP in the depths of summer 2020, and when reits clawed their way back as covid stock panic faded sold the extra 5K for a good little perk.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
In 2012 and 2013, KMP had 72 cents per share in funds from operation. In 2020, they had 83 cents and in 2021, they had 90 cents.

In a decade of record real estate prices and big rent increases, they've only increased FFO per share by 20-25%? REITs are victims of dilution and trying to grow bigger, and I feel that by making so many acquisitions at the top of the market, many REITs have prevented shareowners from benefitting from massive increases in the valuations of the underlying units. KMP has been a regular issuer of equity for over a decade.

KMP has been a decent investment despite this, but a lot of it has been from stock multiple gains and not underlying gains in the assets themselves. I have just become very skeptical of the income+dilution model.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Thanks all for your input. I am not in a hurry to add to REITs at the moment. Sounds like owners are content to hold. @doctrine's comments reminded my of CPG. Great yield and growth until it wasn't. I don't think it is to the same extent with REITs but important to be mindful as to how and why companies are growing.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts