Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a question regarding keeping track of my investments .

I recently opened a TD e-series TFSA and planning on purchasing MF in the beginning on next month and adding to it every month.

Does it make sense to keep a detailed account of the how many units of each fund I purchase along with the amount paid for each unit. Or would I just keep track of the total dollar amount purchased every month.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Since you'll be periodically and automatically making the same dollar amount of purchase every month, you may find it interesting to see the dollar cost averaging on a per fund basis.

When the value of the funds go down, great, you just bought more units for the same purchase price every month.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Does it make sense to keep a detailed account of the how many units of each fund I purchase along with the amount paid for each unit. Or would I just keep track of the total dollar amount purchased every month.
I keep track of my finances in Quicken. It's useful from a planning perspective (allows me to compare my budgets to actuals).

·
Registered
546 Posts
Record keeping is simple as long as your holdings include only one security. You don't need to keep track of 'cost$' for tax purposes. The reason you need to keep track is to find out what rate of return you are getting. Mutual funds publish rates of return but they will not reflect your personal weighting of purchases.

Use this spreadsheet and update it with monthly purchase$$.

When you get more securities use the spreadsheets linked from here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
i use www.morningstar.ca

to see how you're doing it makes sense to keep track of how many units you have and what you paid for them. then if you want to see how much your units are worth you just multiply the units by the current price.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts