Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Alright folks, this is the second month of CanadianMoneyForum Stock Picking Contest.

From the number of views, May 2009 contest was successful.

One big change to June Contest is that you have to pick one LONG position and one SHORT position. For the newbies out there: on LONG position you want stock price to go up, on SHORT position you want stock price to go down.

Also, you can close your positon anytime during the month. If your stock went up 75% due to some wild rumours you can close the positon by replying to the thread with your TICKER and closing price.

Here are the rules:
- Pick two Canadian stocks by replying to this thread. One LONG position and One SHORT position.
- Only Canadian Stocks
- Picks are made by entering ticker symbols.
- Last day to enter contest is June 5, 2009
- Price will be the closing price on the day of the pick.
- Contest is open to 25 people, 50 stocks
- Contest will end June 30, 2009 using that day's closing price if you haven't close your positions.
- The contest winner is the one that pick the biggest percentage gain for the month
- You are allowed to pick the same stock as someone else however on tiebreaker the person that picked the stock first wins.
- I'll keep track of everyone picks using Google Finance Spreadsheet
- I'm a Google Finance fan. Please use Google ticker symbol if possible. ie. T.TO (Telus) for Toronto Stock Exchange and MAA.V for Toronto Ventures
- It's just a contest so have fun!

June 2009 Stock Contest

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
For the short I will take MFC-T or Manulife Financial.

For the long we will go with HXD-T or the Horizon Beta Pro S&P/TSX Bear Fund.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the short I will take MFC-T or Manulife Financial.

For the long we will go with HXD-T or the Horizon Beta Pro S&P/TSX Bear Fund.
dogcom,

I'm guessing your BEARISH for June. Hopefully you didn't get your Long and Short mixed up.

A long on a bear ETF is another way to get short pick. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Long is T.TLM again and short is HR.UN. Here are my picks but I have a question. Why would you want a stock to go down, besides the fact that you are waiting to pick it up?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Long is T.TLM again and short is HR.UN. Here are my picks but I have a question. Why would you want a stock to go down, besides the fact that you are waiting to pick it up?
Babyanne, when you short a stock, you profit when it goes down. Basically, you are selling at the current price, but buying it back later. Hopefully, when you buy it back, the stock is lower than the short price.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Not getting too many entries this month. I'll change the last day to enter to June 5.

The entry price will be the end of day closing price for the day you made your pick.

June starts off very bullish. Looks like it will be a hard month to SHORT. Well, you can SHORT a bear ETF, which is what you would want to do anyway with any leveraged ETF due to the decay.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts