Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the ad, the woman says:

"You don't have to marry a rich man, be your own rich man, it's easy, only 4 steps:
  1. Install Wealthsimple
  2. Choose your account between TFSA or RRSP
  3. Add money, as low as $1, you don't need to be rich
  4. Start buying stocks (do your own research)
See, it's easy, you don't have to spend hours on the internet!"

Yup... Maybe step 4 needs a little, just a little, tiny bit more information. I'd suggest at least 100h of education.

At my job today, there was an informative meeting about the share purchase plan. One question someone asked was "The price of the stock is pretty low, could we ask for a revision of the stock price to a higher price?" (No, he didn't mean inverse split)

·
Registered
493 Posts
That's horrible in so many ways. The next logical marketing step is "free stocks!!!". I'm sure someone is working on it.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's horrible in so many ways. The next logical marketing step is "free stocks!!!". I'm sure someone is working on it.
You get 2 free stocks if you open an account on WeBull and deposit an initial $100.

Also, with Wealthsimple, if I send a link to someone and they open an account, I get $5 and that new person gets $55.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Re post #1, is that a real ad for WealthSimple (Canada)? Wow, talk about the need to have a low IQ to join that club of simple-wealth. Also, saw a recent news headline that the actor (Canadian) who plays Dead-Pool is joining or promoting the WS-brand ... disappointing.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It would be very interesting to see a study on the returns of investors using Wealthsimple Trade vs. Wealthsimple Invest. How many investors would actually come out ahead by choosing their own stocks and doing their own trades, vs. just using the roboadvisor. It would have to be a long study though, since the market moves through long cycles, with growth having great recent returns, and value trailing for a decade or so.

But yeah, those ads are really sad, showing clueless people trying to invest without learning about the markets, following a strategy or doing research.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
^^^^^ I haven't mentioned that the message in that ad is no longer in vogue (today is in year 2021), never mind the underlying sexist tone.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You get 2 free stocks if you open an account on WeBull and deposit an initial $100.

Also, with Wealthsimple, if I send a link to someone and they open an account, I get $5 and that new person gets $55.
I stand corrected, we're already there. Do they have social profiles yet? So you can share your amazing buys?

^^^^^ I haven't mentioned that the message in that ad is no longer in vogue (today is in year 2021), never mind the underlying sexist tone.
You're reading it all wrong, it's obviously a progressive message targeting gay men and intended to fix a wealth gap.

(Yes, that was sarcasm, for those who can't read between the lines.)

·
Registered
6,021 Posts

You're reading it all wrong, it's obviously a progressive message targeting gay men and intended to fix a wealth gap.

(Yes, that was sarcasm, for those who can't read between the lines.)
... maybe but either way read, it's NOT a progressive message but a regressive one!

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
It would be very interesting to see a study on the returns of investors using Wealthsimple Trade vs. Wealthsimple Invest. How many investors would actually come out ahead by choosing their own stocks and doing their own trades, vs. just using the roboadvisor.
Regarding the roboadvisor... wasn't there some talk about how tax preparation companies won't touch people who have Wealthsimple accounts because the roboadvisor is so active that they have capital gains all over the place?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Well we senior citizens find it sexist and no longer in vogue. The gen-whatever kids that WS targets don't even know what sexism is, and probably find the ads cute. ;)

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We would hope that sexism & cie doesn't exist anymore but I have friends in their 20s either being sexually harassed or taking advantage of their sexiness (or both).

I think that unfortunately this has no solution as it's always balanced (in the bad way). While we have even more defenders against sexism and the image of the women, we also have even more people objectifying women and social media putting pressure on the image of the women.

Look at Instagram accounts Ignite or CandyShopMansion and such.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Well we senior citizens find it sexist and no longer in vogue. The gen-whatever kids that WS targets don't even know what sexism is, and probably find the ads cute. ;)
... yeah, that's the saddest part .. repeat: not progressive but regressive ... to IQ lower than WS.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Weird, i listened to the exact same ads yesterday.

The ads is really targeted toward low IQ "empowered" millenials. I think she even had a nose ring, the only thing missing is purple hair and a BLM t-shirt.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts