Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of our biggest companies are safe dividend stocks with large moats (financial, utilities, etc). It seems silly to have something like VGRO/VEQT (80% equity/20% bond or 100% equity) when the CDN "growth" portion of 30% are safe dividend companies. I'm not saying that there isn't growth in the CDN market (small cap in particular).

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
I think your post is indicative of expectations out there. These boring stocks have long term returns of 10-12% a year which is totally in line or even higher than high growth stocks when measured in decades. But we are in a snapshot of time when investor expectations are twisted by nosebleed tech valuations and other quick multi-bagger returns. Why wait a year for 12% and beat the long term average of the S&P 500, which is already enough to make you quite rich on a long term basis, when you can get 50-100% in mere days in AMC and BB? The NASDAQ is trading at *40+ earnings. Are NASDAQ earnings going to triple in 5 years or trade at an even higher multiple? Can it be NASDAQ 50,000 in 2026? I think the next bear market is going to be pretty frightening.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
Whoops, that is a bit high. I believe it is in the 40s, certainly on an unadjusted basis. To get down to 33 I believe you have to be forward adjusted and be pretty generous.

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
To the OP...

Not sure how long you have been investing and I'm not attacking you by any means... But I will wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Wait until SHTF and you will see how the Canadian Equity market is nothing like a bond fund.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wouldn't go that far. Canadian market lacks diversification. I see it doing well in next year or two precisely because it is so heavy on financials and energy.

·
Registered
20,727 Posts
To the OP...

Not sure how long you have been investing and I'm not attacking you by any means... But I will wholeheartedly disagree with you.

Wait until SHTF and you will see how the Canadian Equity market is nothing like a bond fund.
Exactly. Stocks are simply nothing like bonds. Much more volatile, much riskier.

But as far as equities go, the Canadian large caps are world class. They have returns on par with other strongest markets in the world (US, Germany, Australia, etc) and I see no reason to abandon them. Half of my equities are Canada.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If the TSX cannot outperform at this time with booming commodity prices across the board and rising rates (benefitting banks) then it clearly has no place in a portfolio beyond it's 3% weighting in the world. Then add in very unfriendly business practices and that should drop to 1%. OFSI has declared war on banks, Trudeau on telco and oil. GET OUT OF CANADA!!! You will be financially ruined if you do not

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
If the TSX cannot outperform at this time with booming commodity prices across the board and rising rates (benefitting banks) then it clearly has no place in a portfolio beyond it's 3% weighting in the world. Then add in very unfriendly business practices and that should drop to 1%. OFSI has declared war on banks, Trudeau on telco and oil. GET OUT OF CANADA!!! You will be financially ruined if you do not
It has been outperforming recently. XIC vs VUN is a 5% difference since Apr 29. If you look at P12M, XIC is up around 30% while VUN is up 23%.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts