Votes: 12 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think it's a mixed bag. I can see the benefits to simplifying things (no more 10% PST on this, 8% on that, none on some stuff), and just doing one sales tax return.

On the other hand, the province has had several PST-related incentives that they're going to have to structure in different ways now, and IMHO it will lead to increased prices (though I'm not necessarily against consumption taxes, but it's kind of sneaky).

·
Registered
7,252 Posts
This question cannot be answered in this form.
Yes, HST is a good thing insofar as a single, simple tax is a good thing.
But sneaking in higher taxes under this guise and misleading people is a bad thing.
Increasing taxes while giving themselves thumping raises every year is a bad thing.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Unquestionably yes. We're replacing a poorly implemented, job-killing tax with an efficient one. The PST effectively subsidized imported goods over Ontario goods. You have to try hard to come up with a tax policy that is stupider than protectionism, but the PST accomplished the feat.

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Unquestionably yes. We're replacing a poorly implemented, job-killing tax with an efficient one. The PST effectively subsidized imported goods over Ontario goods. You have to try hard to come up with a tax policy that is stupider than protectionism, but the PST accomplished the feat.
OK. But that's not why they introduced the HST! It was a money grab, plain and simple.

So was the introduction of the PST and GST back in 1991. I still find that very offensive considering how much friggin' tax they steal from each of my paycheques.

So to combine the front-end collection of both offensive taxes into one even more offensive tax, isn't on for me. That effectively doubles the tax bill for a lot of stuff that was previously exempt. THAT's why the gov't likes it. It's a tax increase, wrapped up in feel-good rhetoric. No gov't would play that political risk unless it was seriously $ advantageous for them.

I see the Liberal party is alive and well in this thread. Careful. You'll run out of koolaid soon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Also, if the HST is just a tax grab, why did the Federal Government give Ontario about a billion dollars in incentives to implement it? The Feds aren't getting any new revenue out of the deal!

·
Banned
967 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@royal-mail: I just want to clarify. Do you know what a VAT is? If you know what it is, and disagree with it, then we can agree to disagree. As reasonable people, we have an obligation to be rational, and try to understand the world around us.

·
Registered
12,786 Posts
OK. But that's not why they introduced the HST! It was a money grab, plain and simple.
It would be nice if things were that plain and simple. If the HST was a money grab, you absolutely have to explain why the government, in the same budget, announced billions of dollars in corporate, personal, and capital tax cuts. They did a really bad job of grabbing money!

·
Banned
678 Posts
I HATE all taxes.

That being said..as a civilized ,( hopefully), society, I realize we must all apy taxes.......and we should all carry our fair share.

HOWEVER......All govt's at all levels are like crazed herion addicts, who can never get enough.
No matter what sneaky taxes or "levies" or fees they charge ......it will never be enough.

If this does not stop, soon we will all just send the govt EVERY penny we earn, from every source...and the govt will decide how much we need to live and return us that amount.

The tax code is a complicated mess, incomprehensible to all but some, not all, of the morons who think it up, and a fiscal disaster.

Govts are always talking about generating "new revenue streams"...which is nothing more than new taxes, since govts create or produce NOTHING except waste.

The HST is just that...a way to tax more items we need every day,,,like hydro...and collect more taxes....dream up more govt programs,,,waste more taxpayer dollars....figure out how to raise more revenues again.

The endless circle

It never changes..it never ends.

What we need is a politician who will grab the bull by the horns,,,make the decision to stop and REVERSE spending, and let the taxpayers know that his number one concern is NOT to get re-elected

1 - 14 of 14 Posts