Canadian Money Forum banner
1161 - 1172 of 1172 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
My net worth has been whipsawing around so violently in the past 3 years with oversized energy stock holdings, plus a few LEAPS calls (in energy as well as SPY). But at the same time, I'm not freaked out or unsettled by it. I think I'm getting better at handling the volatility.

I'm quite sure that if 100% of my NW was in broad equity holdings and ETFs like VTI, XIU, VEQT I'd be experiencing less volatility than I do right now. So that being known, I think I'm going to work towards adjusting my target asset allocation from 70/30, to 100% diversified stocks plus emergency fund. This will take a year or two to adjust, and I don't want to sell out of energy just yet, but I think that should be my goal for long term investing going forward.

·
Registered
24,274 Posts
My net worth has been whipsawing around so violently in the past 3 years with oversized energy stock holdings, plus a few LEAPS calls (in energy as well as SPY). But at the same time, I'm not freaked out or unsettled by it. I think I'm getting better at handling the volatility.
To each their own, but that sounds stressful. What happens if your net worth sharply tanks just as you are laid off, and left jobless?

My field of work is very unstable so that's a big reason I use a conservative portfolio. In fact my investments are more stable than my employment income.

·
Registered
4,184 Posts
It seems it was an error for me to have sold my HXE the other day. The trend seems to have reversed. I should have followed my trading plan instead of trying to second guess. Oh well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Its unfortunate SU's safety record is so poor...another death this week!! The company seems to get held back for one thing or another. Up 80% in SU now and seriously considering taking out some profits and reinvesting in other Oil Sand companies and moving some profits into other sectors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The CEO stepped down on Friday.

13 people have died since 2014 working for Suncor. That is both employees and contractors. I was expecting more of a drop in share price Friday. They should do well on Q2 earnings.

1161 - 1172 of 1172 Posts