Canadian Money Forum banner

141 - 148 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
The advantages of Canadian-based eligible dividends are one reason why dividend investors tend to concentrate into Canada. For example if 500K was entirely invested CDZ, with no other sources of income, I think there would be virtually nil taxes to pay.

Using the Simple Tax calculator, it looks like $1 million invested into CDZ, with no other income sources, also has about 1% average tax rate overall... just about no taxes.

But keep in mind that taxes shouldn't be the only consideration when choosing investments. Loading up on Canadian eligible dividends makes sense from a tax perspective, but one would also lose diversification by doing this, which increases risk. And tax laws can change.

·
Super Moderator
3,166 Posts
But keep in mind that taxes shouldn't be the only consideration when choosing investments. Loading up on Canadian eligible dividends makes sense from a tax perspective, but one would also lose diversification by doing this, which increases risk. And tax laws can change.
Sticking with the same asset class what real diversification does one really lose out on?
I mean, many of the companies in CDZ have global assets and revenue.

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Sticking with the same asset class what real diversification does one really lose out on?
I mean, many of the companies in CDZ have global assets and revenue.
I think CDZ has pretty good diversification among industries. I wonder how much global exposure it has.

The reason I suggested CDZ + ZDY is that you also get US multinationals, so you're picking up names like Pfizer, IBM, Cisco which are global. For example, revenue from the Americas are only 50% for IBM and 60% for Cisco, so they are very global.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The global economy is staring straight into a recession.
Now is a good time to investing in real estate, as prices are falling in key established markets. This is the most opportune time to buy property at one of the most reasonable price.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Now is a good time to investing in real estate, as prices are falling in key established markets. This is the most opportune time to buy property at one of the most reasonable price.
I think we're on the edge of a depression, not the time to load up on debt IMO.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not yet. I would say soon, but not yet.

·
Registered
16,632 Posts
Maybe I've joined the passive couch potato "cult" but I think there's enough uncertainty about how things are heading, that it's best to just stick to exist plans.

If I have no ability to forecast or predict whether stocks, or bonds, are going up or down, why would I take any corrective action? I truly have no clue how this is going to play out.

My permanent portfolio (All Weather) allocation is up 7% since the start of this year and up 13% from a year ago. Of course it's possible I may forfeit all those gains, but currently I see no reason to change anything I'm doing.

141 - 148 of 148 Posts