Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there,

I'm a new member to this forum. I'm here to get suggestions on auto insurance. Last month, I met with an accident. My car got damaged completely during that incident. Even though it gets repaired, I dont think it will be worth using. I already have auto insurance for the car I have. But I plan to sell this car and buy a new one. Is there any possibility to transfer this auto insurance to the new car I'm buying? Has anyone here tried this?

I have made an appointment with an insurance brokerage service in Alberta. But before consulting them, I would like to get suggestions from you guys. Please share so that I can make the right decision.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
You don't have to transfer anything. If you sell your existing car and buy a new one, you just let your insurance company know of the change. They will advise what the new premium will be based on coverage you request.

Of course, if you are not happy with them, shop around. You can get quotations from a broker or direct from an insurer. Don't know what CAA are like in Alberta, but we buy our insurance through CAA in Ontario. We actually deal with an agent in their local CAA office/

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Immediately after an insurable loss is not going to be the ideal time to shop for a new insurer. You are going to have zero leverage to get better terms than what you will have moving forward with your existing insurer.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Maybe just me sees this in a jaundiced light.

I regret to say I find the OP's post/query one of the more nonsensical bits of tripe to grace this forum in a long time. I would say the following to the OP:

Let's just examine the first non sequitur. Your car was "damaged completely". If so, who would carry out repairs? Common sense would dictate that it be written off.

gardner seems to suggest it was an "insurable loss", but to me it's not so clear. The recited facts, to me, leave open the possibility that the accident was the fault of another and someone else, or their insurer, made good the loss.

Then you say you have insurance "for the car that I have". Is that the wreck, or some different vehicle? And you plan to sell and buy new. You ask has anyone here "tried" to transfer an existing auto policy to another auto. Why would anyone "try" such a thing? What need would there be? Why not just go to the agent, say you bought a new car and want coverage for it. It's a different vehicle and likely needs different coverage. I would expect some aspects of coverage for a new Ferrari to be different from a 1971 Ford Pinto, wouldn't you?

When is you insurance broker appointment? Using a broker for auto insurance is a bit beyond my ken. But, if you have such an appointment, why ask here first? I would expect the broker to be able to give more specific advice. This is not the Canadian insurance forum.

It looks like your post might be coming from India. Maybe it got here via a rusty old freighter, has been in a hold surrounded by bilge water for too long and suffered some damage, corrupted from the original. Or it was left out on deck and exposed to the elements for too long.

I have refrained from clicking on the link provided. That might be an open sesame to some kind of Pandora's box. Pardon my cynicism.

·
Registered
732 Posts
It is possible that the OP has a good policy (e.g. in terms of lower premiums) and is hoping to keep those terms (for the new car). He probably would like to avoid a hike in premiums, due to his recent accident. The problem is not the car, but that the driver will have an adverse history affecting his stance with regards to insurance.

I don't know the answers to those questions. Buying a car with more safety technology probably helps. In BC, they often ask me about "autonomous braking", which tells me it is a factor with premiums. There may be some "defensive driving courses" or things similar that may help too. The best way is to ask the agent and check with them how much each of these would help; that way you can evaluate if it is worth the cost.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Premiums should not increase if you’re not a fault. I’ve been in three accidents...deemed 0% at fault for two of them and 100% at fault in one of them. They all had small claims....under $5000 each. Never seen an increase and still hold the highest driver rating with my insurer. I’ve been with them for 20+ years. That along with one minor conviction Every 6-7 years.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Premiums should not increase if you’re not a fault.(At least in Ontario) I’ve been in three accidents...deemed 0% at fault for two of them and 100% at fault in one of them. They all had small claims....under $5000 each. Never seen an increase and still hold the highest driver rating with my insurer. I’ve been with them for 20+ years. That along with one minor conviction Every 6-7 years.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Couldn't OP have connections to both countries?
Sure, but the whole thing smells like a lost barrel of herring. Including the fact that there's an Alberta appointment while in India. I have heard of social distancing, but 8,000 miles seems over the top.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Sure, but the whole thing smells like a lost barrel of herring. Including the fact that there's an Alberta appointment while in India. I have heard of social distancing, but 8,000 miles seems over the top.
There are a lot of innocent explanations for that. For example a student living part of the year in one place, or a professional doing temporary work in both places, an expat returning to AB, etc.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
The one thing I like about this software is identifying the origin of member registration. (y)
It doesn't identify the 'origin of member registration', unless the member specifies that when registering. Otherwise it identifies where the post is being made from. If I don't fill in where I am in Account Settings (many people don't) and then I go to USA, my flag will change to a US flag.

In this case, I suspect the post was made from India, but it could be that member registered as being from India and then came to Canada. But is travel even allowed these days? (he/she joined a month ago).

·
Registered
10,092 Posts
Well, it should register the originating IP. Otherwise, it is a completely useless piece of information and could in fact, be a privacy issue. It is no one's business where I may be traveling and currently posting from once I have become a member.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Nevertheless, that is the way it is or at least was, when we went through this on another Verticalscope forum. I even contacted them, but they didn't see it as an issue. If you enter your Canadian location under Account Settings, then it won't follow you around the world. If you don't, it will.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
OP is certainly a spammer. These types of posts are commonplace, someone posts an innocent sounding question with a link to whatever website is being promoted. The hope is that click-throughs on the post will generate business for that website. I do not know why "bvinsurance.ca" would hire an Indian spam farm but apparently they did.

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
OP is certainly a spammer. These types of posts are commonplace, someone posts an innocent sounding question with a link to whatever website is being promoted. The hope is that click-throughs on the post will generate business for that website. I do not know why "bvinsurance.ca" would hire an Indian spam farm but apparently they did.
... it's called "outsourcing" or to-save-a-nickel, go-spend-a-dollar. Ever so clever with this click and bait crxp too, NOT.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts