Canadian Money Forum banner
21 - 40 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Okay, I know they're not technically funds, but is anyone buying the HISA ETFs? I own Purpose PSA (PSA) and there's also Evolve/NEO (HISA), which last time I checked, had a 1.36% current yield.

No one?

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Okay, I know they're not technically funds, but is anyone buying the HISA ETFs? I own Purpose PSA (PSA) and there's also Evolve/NEO (HISA), which last time I checked, had a 1.36% current yield.

No one?
.... OP here. I ended up using BMOIL's house HISA (BMT104) at a yield of .65% at the time of my post whereas Neo HISA's yield through the brokerage was .75%.

The current gross yield of NEO HISA - direct from Evolve itself is 1.45% and I'm too lazy to move funds for an additional half a percentage.

Instead, I'm like J4B watching rates move higher and then go play the GICs renewal game.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Actually 0.7%, but yes, I hear you. Moving money around can get tiresome really quickly.

WAIT...that was just a quote, right? I assume you can't purchase third-party HISA ETFs at BMOIL can you? I'm not allowed to buy them at TDDI or BMOIL.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The yield doesn't vary from brokerage to brokerage, though, right? I mean it's an ETF. Unless the quotes were taken at different times.
... correct.

GIC rates are a different story due to different providers available the brokerages.

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
I use both TDB8150 (for CAD) and TDB8152 (for USD)

Though I'm using it more for USD deposits because these interest rates actually seem pretty good compared to other places I can store USD cash.

I don't use that CAD one as heavily because I prefer to move any excess CAD cash into 5 year GICs. The GIC ladder is always going to perform better than high interest savings and I've become very used to the routine over the years. So my approach is keep most of my "cash" in GICs, at higher yields, along with a minimal amount in pure cash.

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
By the way I recently had a weird problem with the TDB* ISA funds and wondering if anyone else has seen this happen. I placed a buy order to add some money to the ISA. The order isn't visible though. After a few days I noticed it had not executed. I've phoned TDDI but their agents are confused as well, some say they can see the order, others can't.

They think it's a "ghost order" and aren't sure if it's going to eventually fill. They told me to phone back on Monday to see what happens to the trade. Has this happened to anyone else?

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
When you say it "isn't visible", do you mean when you later go back to TD's website? Or right after you've completed it or??

Are you using Firefox, by any chance?
I use Chrome. I mean that when logged into Webbroker, the order status doesn't even show the order. Normally I can see any order I placed, so it's really weird to have an order that cannot be seen.

I also could not see the order status immediately after placing it. So right from the start, something was wrong with that order. It's the first time I've seen this happen.

The agents have the same problem and are just as mystified. They have some people looking into it.

·
Registered
10,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
^ Suggest you screenprint your order if you're provided a reference # that was generated. That way it's date/time-stamped "proof" you placed the order and easier for the brokerage agents/tech guys to track this "ghosting" business of theirs.

Happened to me on a GIC purchase (not at TDDI though) and I said well, I got a reference plus a screen-print to prove the order went thru your systems. So where is it? It showed up a couple of days later which is weird for a GIC purchase, I gave them the lee-way of a 2/3 days settlement. It's most likely a case of "we found it!" at their end later.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have too much cash in TDB8150. Planning on moving it over to Steinbach Credit Union. Just a regular savings account now paying 1.50% or 1.65% if over $100K.

I'm tempted to dump some in a 1 yr GIC there now paying 3.10%. But with more rate hikes coming I think I'll stay liquid for now.

Sorry if this is wrong thread for GIC discussion!

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
I have too much cash in TDB8150. Planning on moving it over to Steinbach Credit Union. Just a regular savings account now paying 1.50% or 1.65% if over $100K.

I'm tempted to dump some in a 1 yr GIC there now paying 3.10%. But with more rate hikes coming I think I'll stay liquid for now.

Sorry if this is wrong thread for GIC discussion!
If you have a ton of cash you might also consider building a 5 year GIC ladder. That's how you really get juicy yields. Over the years I have shifted my large amount of cash into a ladder, with tightly spaced GICs that mature every few months. This way I enjoy 5 year GIC rates (always beats savings accounts) and the cash is accessible as each GIC matures, every few months.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If you have a ton of cash you might also consider building a 5 year GIC ladder. That's how you really get juicy yields. Over the years I have shifted my large amount of cash into a ladder, with tightly spaced GICs that mature every few months. This way I enjoy 5 year GIC rates (always beats savings accounts) and the cash is accessible as each GIC matures, every few months.
I agree the GIC ladder is the way to go.

The 5 year rate is now at 4.1% at Steinbach but with more rate hikes coming this year, I'm going to wait before locking in anything longer than 1 year.

I've been avoiding bonds for fixed income and with these rate hikes still see no reason for them. GIC ladder is simple, safe and bonds are voodoo for me at least.

·
Registered
24,678 Posts
with more rate hikes coming this year
Beware though, GIC rates are based on bond market rates (not BoC rate) and it's possible that the bond market has already priced in a lot of rate hikes. You are probably right that GIC rates will go higher, but there's the possibility they are close to topping out already -- we have no idea.

·
Registered
13,447 Posts
GIC rates are loosely based on bond rates. If you do a historical comparison of 5 year rates, the gap is typically 50-100 bp and sometimes outside those endpoints. Mortgage demand (or lack thereof) influences that relationship considerably, as in now, demand has caused the spread to be150bp at the 5 year rate.

21 - 40 of 124 Posts