Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my two thumbs up for ipads as a way to stay connected, particularly with news sources.

I bought one recently because I needed a decent way to get email on vacation (we vacation near Algonquin park, so it's remote) and didn't want to lock into contracts required with 'sticks'. Ipads let you get one month buy as you go plans. So email was the impetus.

But it's more than that. I get BBC news easily and updated all day long through the BBC app. You can get newspapers from around the world for like $1 each, buy them only on the days you want to read them.

For example, I can't get the Globe where I live (no delivery). But I can download it for $1. WIth the Ipad, I can - and do - read the globe over breakfast. There's thousands of papers available - right down to the barry's bay weekly paper (which is the rinky dink northern town near where we vacationed).

So if you're looking for easy access to news, in a portable format, the ipad's the way to go.

On vacation we paid $35 for wireless internet access. At home, we just use our local wifi connection.

AND! I was skimming some blogs this morning and see Preet is giving one away on his blog :) :http://wheredoesallmymoneygo.com/3-year-anniversary-im-giving-away-another-ipad/

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
*Cue the-royal-mails technology hate haha

Just a point you could have bought a rocket stick straight up and then went month to month. I bought a iPhone straight up and pay month to month like you. I just wanted something that fits in my pocket. Marketing will have you believe you "have" to sign contracts but that's only if you take the device "free". You paid for your iPad, which is smart because you pay for the devices over the course of the contract anyways

I bought the iPhone for stocks, but I also use it every morning now for news. I prefer it over anything else because I can read the news whenever I would normally be doing nothing (stuck in line, waiting for someone etc)

I have like 20 apps for news and I don't remember paying for any of them. It's $1 every day for the Globe? One of my main apps is Globe & Mail which is free on iPhone. I also get all my magazines free

·
Registered
101 Posts
Here's my two thumbs up for ipads as a way to stay connected, particularly with news sources.

I bought one recently because I needed a decent way to get email on vacation (we vacation near Algonquin park, so it's remote) and didn't want to lock into contracts required with 'sticks'. Ipads let you get one month buy as you go plans. So email was the impetus.

But it's more than that. I get BBC news easily and updated all day long through the BBC app. You can get newspapers from around the world for like $1 each, buy them only on the days you want to read them.

For example, I can't get the Globe where I live (no delivery). But I can download it for $1. WIth the Ipad, I can - and do - read the globe over breakfast. There's thousands of papers available - right down to the barry's bay weekly paper (which is the rinky dink northern town near where we vacationed).

So if you're looking for easy access to news, in a portable format, the ipad's the way to go.

On vacation we paid $35 for wireless internet access. At home, we just use our local wifi connection.

AND! I was skimming some blogs this morning and see Preet is giving one away on his blog :) :http://wheredoesallmymoneygo.com/3-year-anniversary-im-giving-away-another-ipad/
Hi Wheel, what's the name of the app that you're using to view various newspapers? would you recommend it? thanks

·
Banned
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a point you could have bought a rocket stick straight up and then went month to month. I bought a iPhone straight up and pay month to month like you. I just wanted something that fits in my pocket. Marketing will have you believe you "have" to sign contracts but that's only if you take the device "free". You paid for your iPad, which is smart because you pay for the devices over the course of the contract anyways
A bit of utility theory at work :).

First, Ipad has original Galaga. I'd have paid $800 for that alone. Goodness knows I spent a lot more than $800 on that darn thing back in the 80's.

Rocket stick was about $180. The month to month from what I could gather was probably going to be actually 3 months plus an activation fee. So figure another $150. There's so much crap around this nonsense that it's hard to say for sure - but no way was it looking like only one month.

So I figured stick+minimum term was going to cost me $300+. An ipad, maybe $550. So I get an ipad for $250 over the cost of a stick. Done deal. And no contract - you can get an honest to goodness one month only with the ipad. So I can call up in 6 months, pay $20, and get another month. Can't do that with the stick. Not only do I hate the contracts with bell and rogers and the used-car-sales schtick they put you through, I'm hopeful that the competition coming down the pipes will provide some real choice, which makes me double wary of contracts with these folks. Put all that together, and I've still got an ipad I could sell for more than the difference. Not that I can sell it, my wife is in love with it now too.
I bought the iPhone for stocks, but I also use it every morning now for news. I prefer it over anything else because I can read the news whenever I would normally be doing nothing (stuck in line, waiting for someone etc)

I have like 20 apps for news and I don't remember paying for any of them. It's $1 every day for the Globe? One of my main apps is Globe & Mail which is free on iPhone. I also get all my magazines free
Yeah, the globe is $1. I'm happy to pay it - it's the full globe and mail, just like you're reading the paper. I wonder if the iphone app isn't a slimmer version.

On the ipad, you can get a globe and mail app on it's own. But I was reading the reviews on the globe app, and one of the comments said just get the press reader app, because it's got the globe plus 3000 other papers worldwide. First 7 downloads are free BTW. I'm not sure what app I'm using to read, it's a common ipad app I'm sure.

Then I was reading BBC news on the ipad today and there's a story about a company in India trying to create a $35 touch screen computer like the ipad, but running on linux. I figure we'll see $200 competitors in a few years.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
So I figured stick+minimum term was going to cost me $300+. An ipad, maybe $550. So I get an ipad for $250 over the cost of a stick. Done deal. And no contract - you can get an honest to goodness one month only with the ipad. So I can call up in 6 months, pay $20, and get another month.
I have an honest month to month for my iPhone, though they sure tried to pull the wool over my eyes and give me a contract for no reason. I'm sure you can get month to month if you own the stick and you can get them online

I don't think you'll see competition change anything at all. Google tried to sell their phone the straight up honest way, and it failed. Seems people like their free phones and ridiculous monthly bills.

I have more free news apps than I can read so I don't know why you'd pay $1 per download. But I've always read news online so paying for paper is beyond me

1 - 7 of 7 Posts