Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have ishares ETFs and vanguard ETFs in my RRSP BMO Investorline account, they being Investorline do not have synthetic drips for those ETFs, they will drip the BMO ETFs(obviously) and Claymore, so my question is what should I do:

1) just reinvest the disturbutions myself once a year to keep comission cost down
2) use different ETFs, e.g. BMO or Claymore

·
Registered
12,806 Posts
Just use the distributions when you rebalance periodically. It really shouldn't make any appreciable difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Put the distributions in a low MER mutual fund such as the TD Canadian Index fund. It only needs $100.00 to start, then ad more as the distributions accumulate.

·
Banned
96 Posts
If you are going to hold those ETF's for a long period of time ( 5years or more) then it would make alot of sense to DRIP all your ETF's. You have 2 choices, change etf's to BMO and/or Claymore or change discount broker.

I also hold Vanguard(2 etf's) and one Ishare and they are all on the drip system, but I am with Itrade. I use to be with Investorline and they are limited with their drip's

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have synthetic drip setup for all my TDWH accounts. It's especially important if you have a lot of foreign content in your RRSP or TFSA.

Without DRIPs, they'll convert your distributions back to CAD every time.

·
Banned
8 Posts
I have synthetic drip setup for all my TDWH accounts. It's especially important if you have a lot of foreign content in your RRSP or TFSA.

Without DRIPs, they'll convert your distributions back to CAD every time.
Sweet I'm with TDWH as well, going to buy some ETF's soon good to know that they'll do this for me. I do have to call in to set it up though correct or can I do it myself online?

·
Registered
967 Posts
Sweet I'm with TDWH as well, going to buy some ETF's soon good to know that they'll do this for me. I do have to call in to set it up though correct or can I do it myself online?
Just give them a call, and tell them to enable drip for all your investment accounts (TFSA, RRSP, Cash trading, etc).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts