Canadian Money Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
i think you supported my point as the peaches and cherries in BC have now become wineries. A valued added industry, whereas Peaches and Cherries have gotten to cheap to produce. If the vineyards become unprofitable, I’m sure the legislation will change.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Continuing off topic. the ALR has been around since the 1970's. It won't change because the value of keeping valuable agriculture land is ingrained. What is agriculture will stay agriculture. https://www.alc.gov.bc.ca/alc/content/home

There is always some picking at the edges here and there, e.g. to widen a highway, but these days, it is mostly if something is given up, it has to be a swap for something even better. Our local developers and municipalities are constantly massaging opportunities, but the net-net is the ALR must come out ahead. There is even an Advisory Agriculture Commission in each municipality that examines these and makes recommendations on matters to the ALR gods in Victoria.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
California had similar legislation at one time I believe. All it takes is a chan of government and a few good bribes, i mean contributions.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
And I think you underestimate what can happen if, for some strange reason, maybe bad drugs, they elected some idiot politician like a Trump, who’s buddies wanted to develop the valley into the new Vegas. Laws are arbitrary, changed on a whim by the new people in power. How many times have governments passed the law banning deficits? I think I’ve seen it in every province at one point or another...yet somehow, they all get overturned, sometimes by the very party who implemented the law in the first place. BC has had plenty of crooked politicians already.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Yeah I was looking for recent advice. I kind of agree with you regarding the vineyards in BC. It used to be the s**t but I guess now that the global economy markets are now the new trend, it's far more lucrative to pack fruits and send them overseas instead of wasting money trying to squash grapes in the vain hope of making lots of dollars once people buy your wine.

In this very case, it seems that they are more worried today than ever before:
Coronavirus: Small Okanagan wine producers worried about future ( article written today on global news)

61 - 66 of 66 Posts