Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
5,464 Posts
Berubeland:

The UCCB is taxable in the hands of the lower-earning-spouse, no matter where the money ends up (inside an RESP or not).

The CCTB is non-taxable income, so there's no particular advantage to depositing it in an RESP.

A self-directed RESP does not attract fewer grants than an IG RESP.

I don't know where you heard this info, and I worry it might have been from your IG salesperson...

· Registered
5,464 Posts
Sorry, CC; I understood the OP to indicate that somehow UCCB and CCTB are components of his RESP contribution which are not available elsewhere.

To the best of my knowledge, either you are eligible for the enhanced grant, or you are not; and the HRSDC list simply indicates which providers are set up to automatically apply for and deposit the grant (as opposed to the parent applying and then having the grant money issued and deposited).

When I was an advisor, I worked at a brokerage on the IDA platform. RESPs were our least favourite kind of account to open, because they involve an immense amount of paperwork and they are relatively small.

It isn't surprising to me to read that the companies that *only* offer RESPs are, of course, set up to automatically apply for etc. the enhanced grants.

I'm going to check my assumptions about this and come back later. Now, off to soccer practice!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.