Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Do you have any advice/resources/books for expats who want to invest or to improve on their personal finances? Unforutnately, I will not be able to contribute to my TFSA and RRSP while living abroad. My plan is to not come back to Canada. I am still keeping my Canadian citizenship. My plan is to retire in another country. Also, do you know of any books on real estate for beginners or newbies like me but who are also expats? Thank you so much for your help.

·
Registered
10,517 Posts
There's lots that can be suggested for Canadian investing for Canadian tax residents including the "Eight With Weight: A Reading List for New Investors" sticky in the Investing section. These resources will assume you are a Canadian tax resident so it may be confusing with parts that don't apply (ex. better tax treatment of eligible dividends) or missing subjects that do (ex. non-resident withholding taxes taken from the eligible dividends paid).

As I understand it, being non-resident (NR) typically limits or eliminates the taxable account options. Registered accounts seem to be easier as they are deemed to be needed for retirement. Earning contribution room and making contributions are the main restriction.

Your question about RE for expats confuses me.

Are you planning on having someone else manage the RE as you are living abroad?
Do you have RE in Canada that you didn't get rid of before becoming a NR?

As a non-resident (NR), filing a Canadian tax return may be required either to get refunds or by the Canadian gov't. Unless you are close like say in Niagara Falls, NY USA with RE in Niagara Falls, Ontario Canada, it may complicate things for you.
https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/tax/international-non-residents/individuals-leaving-entering-canada-non-residents/non-residents-canada.html

Are you prepared for the extra work and potentially filing two tax returns?
Shouldn't you be focusing on investing for the place you are currently a tax resident?

Cheers

PS
Improving your investing skills to increase the RRSP returns for retirement sounds like a good aim.
Complicating what you have to do from another country IMO should be carefully considered.

·
Registered
3,018 Posts
You need to provide a bit more info in order to make your situation clear.

Are you currently a Canadian resident planning to leave Canada in the future or have you already left?

Will moving to another country and retirement occur at the same time approximately or will you continue to work for a period of years in that other country before retiring?

When you ask about real estate, where are you thinking of buying real estate? In Canada or in the country you plan to move to? Info for what purpose, to help you buy a property to live in or a property for other purposes like renting for income?

Do you even have a means of gaining legal residency in another country? You might be surprised how many people think they can just go somewhere and live there without realizing it isn't that simple.

What country are you considering living in? Different countries have different financial issues to consider when it comes to being an expat.

The clearer you make your situation understood, the more relevant responses can be. Otherwise, an assumption on your part or a respondent's part may be totally wrong. You have not provided enough info so far.

There are also some good Expat forums where you can post questions relevant to living in another country.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts