Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Would anybody know why this stock has been moving recently? There was an article in the globe and mail last week but I can’t really figure out why. Maybe someone could point out the obvious to me?

Thank you
EDI

·
Banned
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It’s odd to me..... But today seemed excessive a one point and I just couldn’t resist selling half my position and locking in a 98% gain in a little less than 7 months.

I’m curious to see what the next few months will bring.

EDI

·
Registered
759 Posts
This is a Benj Gallander pick from a few years back.

I think the reason they have gone up is 3M used to be a major competitor but I think they have stopped producing some products that were competing with them. This has probably increased sales and improved margins. Just a guess.

·
Registered
759 Posts
A stock will trade in expectation of forward earnings and projected discounted cash flows. If the earnings don't materialize the stock will crater. Be careful about chasing momentum plays when you don't understand the fundamental drivers of the stock. If you're wondering why just go take a look at Green Mountain Coffee Roasters, Netflix and Wesport Innovations. When they crash, they crash hard.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought this stock last july at 1.85, I sold it in February at 4.08 because i didn't want to risk losing my gains. I'd be nervous getting in now Lucy but who knows what could happen, good luck!

·
Banned
136 Posts
Wow! Up 3% again today! This stock has nothing but white candles! Averages 1% per day! Amazing! This mornIng I contemplated buying $20,000 worth but I felt the chart was a little parabolic and poised for a correction. See what happens next week.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I think this stock is up 263% last 12 months 500% last 24 months. The amazing part is its mostly a straight line. That's an average gain of 1% per day. What do traders here think of day trading this stock? In at the open out by noon for goal of 1% per day.

·
Banned
136 Posts
I bought 5000 shares at the open on Monday at $6.49. This stock seems to like to open higher than the previous days close, so daytrading it is not as good an option.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I bought 5000 shares at the open on Monday at $6.49. This stock seems to like to open higher than the previous days close, so daytrading it is not as good an option.
But the stock pays no dividends Lucy. :wink:

I didn't quite understand your 2nd statement; day-trading is always a good option when and if profits can be made [unless you're in for long-term and /or swing trade].

Good luck with it, but remember that any stock can return to its 52 week low & even make new 52 week lows [like so many have done this year].

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
But the stock pays no dividends Lucy. :wink:
This is the reason why I didn't ever purchase this stock. I feel I deserve to be paid while I wait for a stock to perform... Maybe I am just selfish in that regard:biggrin:

Good luck with it, but remember that any stock can return to its 52 week low & even make new 52 week lows [like so many have done this year].
I have purchased quite a few stocks at 52 week lows thinking that would be the point of support only to watch them make new 52 week lows. :stupid: Thanks for the reminder TGal

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I have purchased quite a few stocks at 52 week lows thinking that would be the point of support only to watch them make new 52 week lows. :stupid: Thanks for the reminder TGal
One of them must be TEF I believe, right?

Yesterday, it hang on for dear life not to make a new 52 week low [and me waiting for it to make that new low, sorry!]. :biggrin: But obviously the downside potential is less when buying at/near a 52 week low than the reverse, so don't feel bad as you got a decent price for it [just think of those who bought TEF, a year or two ago for example].

I don't follow ITP, but I see that the stock increased from $5.68 just on May 8th, to the current price as a result of the good 1st quarter 2012 as well as the positive outlook given for next quarter.

http://www.intertapepolymer.com/IR/2012 Annual Quarterly Reports/2012 First Quarterly Report.pdf

But the way things are working these days, any little bad or good news [from anywhere], could contribute to a severe enough stock price decline. The way I see it, is that an investment of $32,450 [$6.49 x 5,000 sh], purchased at an almost 52 week high/non-dividend paying/with a 2.22 beta, is not exactly what I would consider a safe enough investment for me, to simply hold long-term & sleep well at night. I always book some profits with my riskier stocks & then use the profits to buy free shares when the shares dip a certain %; after all, what are the chances this stock will reverse the 5% it gained in a week? Not impossible at all. And even if the stock had increased by 100% [which it did YTD], even more the reason [IMO], to book profits for those that may have bought back then.

If I had purchased the stock a week ago, I would have booked profits on 1/2 the shares for a tidy profit of $850 [not a bad return for a week], which in turn, would have bought me 100+ free shares of same stock; would do it a handful of times for 500 free shares and then free my capital! :)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
One of them must be TEF I believe, right?

Yesterday, it hang on for dear life not to make a new 52 week low [and me waiting for it to make that new low, sorry!]. :biggrin: But obviously the downside potential is less when buying at/near a 52 week low than the reverse, so don't feel bad as you got a decent price for it [just think of those who bought TEF, a year or two ago for example].
You are correct and no need to apologize. I have difficulty sitting on cash and get an itchy trigger finger from time to time. As mentioned in your post the the downside risk is lower in this range than at 52 week highs. I was also aware that there was a good chance for TEF to contnue its decline with the decline of Europe. However, at some point in time there will be some news that will cause the markets to turnaround. Since I am unable to monitor the news or know when it will occur I had to decide how low I could let it drop before I would regret not buying before it took off. I set my price and it got hit. :untroubled:

Next time I will wait for your post as a long term position in the what are you buying threadas my buy signal... :tongue-new:

Cheers! Sorry to the Op for hijacking your thread momentarily....

In regards to ITP Benj Gallander saw the value in this stock early last fall if I remember correctly. For me that ship has sailed but there are lots of buying opportunities.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
1. I have difficulty sitting on cash and get an itchy trigger finger from time to time.
2. I had to decide how low I could let it drop before I would regret not buying before it took off.
3. For me that ship has sailed but there are lots of buying opportunities.
1. You're in good company as I think most of us have that itchy finger-problem, especially with so many bargains, but if yours is only 'from time to time', then you're ok. :)
2. That's where well-thought out tranches come into play.
3. After a meteoric rise in a relatively short period of time, one needs to be careful indeed. I see that ITP today, broke the $7 mark, so Lucy should be happy!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
1. You're in good company as I think most of us have that itchy finger-problem, especially with so many bargains, but if yours is only 'from time to time', then you're ok. :)
2. That's where well-thought out tranches come into play.
3. After a meteoric rise in a relatively short period of time, one needs to be careful indeed. I see that ITP today, broke the $7 mark, so Lucy should be happy!
1. Unfortunately time is relative. I have difficulty keeping my cash positions above 5% for bargains. Perhaps I am a compulsive spender after all... :tongue-new: Fortunately, I am in the accumulation phase and will have a fairly considerable amount of funds to add in August. I hope there will still be bargains to be found by the end of summer.

2. I always by in tranches of either 1/2 1/3 or 1/4 positions. To me it is a mental hedge.:encouragement:

3. Grats to you as well, Lucy... Well played...:chuncky:

1 - 20 of 93 Posts