Canadian Money Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at Interactivebrokers Hong Kong, seems like they accept Canadian customers without too many issues.

Has anyone used them, their fees seem to be very low unless I am reading things wrong.

What are the tax implications for a Canadian holding a brokerage account in Hong Kong?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I am hoping that there is a tax advantage to it. I am a Canadian citizen, but I have been living outside of Canada since 1997. Currently I do have a brokerage account in Canada, but if I can move it out to HK and then legally don't have to pay taxes on any gains that would be ideal.

I don't currently pay taxes on income made outside Canada as a non resident, so if I was able to move that last bit of cash offshore then even better.

·
Registered
15,839 Posts
it's my understanding that capital gains resulting from dispositions of canadian securities are to be paid in their entirety to overseas shareholders, so i don't understand why these are being taxed in canada in your case.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks like a Canadian can't actually open an account at the HK branch or soemthing. I tried to go through the application on the HK site and as soon as you state your nationality they direct you to the CDN site.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts