Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2021 there was a takeover by Bookfield against Inter Pipeline. I remember getting the notices by each CEO begging me to vote for their differing cause.

I am still not sure I have this math correct, and would like to amend my old tax return to make sure it's perfect, but I am getting more confused the further I try to make sense of it.

What I read from digging around was this:

Shareholders may elect up to 100% cash consideration, totaling C$20.00 per share of Inter Pipeline without being subject to proration or 0.250 of a BIPC Share, subject to proration.

Since my 300 shares of IPL vanished, and 103 shares of BIPC showed up in their place, it seems the share-trade deal is what was set by default.

But when I do the math, of 0.25 shares of BIPC for each share of IPL, I can't work out how they gave me 103 BIPC for 300 IPL? Maybe it has something to do with proration but I can't figure it out.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

When I look at my broker statement for trades at the period, all it did was show me as magically selling ONE share (well technically a fractional share) of BIPC for about $76. Am I missing something obvious here?

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I look into my account, it shows me that the average price of my 103 BIPC shares is $35.09

Something else puzzles me. I don't see any selling of my IPL shares in my records. I had assumed that if they are swapped this counts as some disposition and I'd have to pay capital gains. But, maybe this is a special case due to corporate action? All I can say, is I am very much hating these spin-off/aquisition/hostile-takover deals. Had a feeling it would be a nightmare, and further reasearch shows many others are very confused on how to go about this as well.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts