Canadian Money Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In 2021 there was a takeover by Bookfield against Inter Pipeline. I remember getting the notices by each CEO begging me to vote for their differing cause.

I am still not sure I have this math correct, and would like to amend my old tax return to make sure it's perfect, but I am getting more confused the further I try to make sense of it.

What I read from digging around was this:

Shareholders may elect up to 100% cash consideration, totaling C$20.00 per share of Inter Pipeline without being subject to proration or 0.250 of a BIPC Share, subject to proration.

Since my 300 shares of IPL vanished, and 103 shares of BIPC showed up in their place, it seems the share-trade deal is what was set by default.

But when I do the math, of 0.25 shares of BIPC for each share of IPL, I can't work out how they gave me 103 BIPC for 300 IPL? Maybe it has something to do with proration but I can't figure it out.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Number

When I look at my broker statement for trades at the period, all it did was show me as magically selling ONE share (well technically a fractional share) of BIPC for about $76. Am I missing something obvious here?

Rectangle Font Parallel Circle Number

· Registered
11,329 Posts
^ I'm not sure why/how you got about $75 or why your statement is showing a sell of 1 share for $75 BIPC.

My simple math tells me your IPL 300 shares at $20 each should have been converted to $6,000 worth of BIPC. In which case (yours) was 103 BIPC worth $58.25 each.

However a quick google chart of November 5, 2021 (November 1st was the conversion date, was a holiday/weekend?) showed BIPC was worth CD$52.07. Based on this price, you're about 12 shares short (due to pro-rating?) but then you should have been given the cash in lieu of such shortness. Did you check?

I took my cash as don't want any BIPC shares so can't tell you the exact price of the conversion.

· Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I look into my account, it shows me that the average price of my 103 BIPC shares is $35.09

Something else puzzles me. I don't see any selling of my IPL shares in my records. I had assumed that if they are swapped this counts as some disposition and I'd have to pay capital gains. But, maybe this is a special case due to corporate action? All I can say, is I am very much hating these spin-off/aquisition/hostile-takover deals. Had a feeling it would be a nightmare, and further reasearch shows many others are very confused on how to go about this as well.

· Registered
11,329 Posts
When I look into my account, it shows me that the average price of my 103 BIPC shares is $35.09
... could that average price be your ACB for IPL that was just transferred/used for BIPC?

Something else puzzles me. I don't see any selling of my IPL shares in my records. I had assumed that if they are swapped this counts as some disposition and I'd have to pay capital gains.
... check your Transactions history for 2021 between October and November 2021 if that helps. I'm with BMOIL and my IPL was converted to cash on November 1, 2021 as "Exercise" under the Description column of the Transactions history. You should have a transactions history with your brokerage.

But, maybe this is a special case due to corporate action? All I can say, is I am very much hating these spin-off/aquisition/hostile-takover deals. Had a feeling it would be a nightmare, and further reasearch shows many others are very confused on how to go about this as well.
... the acquisition of IPL was very onerous, lengthy. There was ALOT of back and forths, negotations that entail something like 7 pages of "updates" from my brokerage. BMOIL gave its clients choices (elections) of Option 1 - get $20 per IPL if you're absoulte sure, Option 2 to 3 conversion to BIPC shares, Option 4 - supplementary shares of BIPC and Option 99 - Default of do nothing or retain shares. I'm not sure I picked 1 or the default and then let BAM(?) buyout IPL out at $20 share.

For a fact, I did NOT want any BIPC shares. And so I received my cash conversion on Nov. 1, 2021 as mentioned above and paid my capital gains tax for that. All done and over with. Also, I received the last dividends of IPL on Sept. 15, 2021 as they stated being a shareholder of record on that date.

I'm certain there's another member who had their IPL converted to BIPC (popular sister company of mother BAM) who can provide you with additional info on the cost conversion since you would need to verify your "BIPC's ACB" if you did not receive cash in lieu of any shares shortfall upon conversion. Just hold/wait for that input.

· Registered
11,329 Posts
I'm surprised no one has responded about taking their option in converting their IPL to BIPC. Anyhow, not to worry. Time for OP to do some 'real' homework.

Call up your broker and ask them to explain what "exactly" did they do with your conversion as you're stumped, if not still pulling your hairs out trying to figure out what they did (103 BIPC shares, sold 1 at $75??? WTH) ... and yes it's 2023.

· Registered
2,982 Posts
I am sorry that I cannot offer any information either. I sold on the announcement as I already held Brookfield Infrastructure and did not need to overweight. I have found that it is cleaner to sell before these deals are finalized to avoid the complications in reporting. More importantly,buy selling on the announcement you avoid the risk of the deal being held up or falling through. Usually, if another offer is on the table it happens before the regulatory approval happens.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts