Canadian Money Forum banner
1001 - 1020 of 1362 Posts

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
Get the immigrant doctors tested and have a fast track to get them accredited,
They don't have the capacity to do it. They absolutely should expand it.

We can't even find positions for Canadian educated doctors.
They haven't for years.

As far as simply testing, it's troublesom.
Ontario Engineers actually do test for the academic requirements, and interview for the experiential requirement.
The stories I've heard are astonishing, they're not too common, but there are quite a few people who are clearly unqualified by any reasonable standard.

The nonsense I've heard from some "doctors" is just as appalling.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the doctors are the issue.. If they limit the number of spots, they are in very high demand and of course they can make more money.... I don't disagree with the idea of bad doctors coming from outside of the country but there are many places in Europe with higher medical standards who are not able to get a doctor position in Canada. Force the universities and doctors to train more people and everything will go to normal. Why in Germany they have double of number of doctors per 100k than Canada and they are paid 30-50% of what doctors are paid in Canada?

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Why in Germany they have double of number of doctors per 100k than Canada and they are paid 30-50% of what doctors are paid in Canada?
German healthcare was amazing. I remember being surprised that the doctors provided many sensible solutions besides drugs.

I don't have experience with it but post-secondary education in Germany is also free and their education system also specializes at a younger age and doesn't demean trades as much. I imagine the number of doctors has to do with different education system. Germany also has a very strong economy despite lack of natural resources thanks to intellectual property and that is probably thanks to accessible higher education.

Their houses are also cheaper and far better built. In Canada you'd pay 3x for much lower quality. Not even comparable really at all

Reactions: londoncalling

·
Registered
11,878 Posts
I think the doctors are the issue.. If they limit the number of spots, they are in very high demand and of course they can make more money.... I don't disagree with the idea of bad doctors coming from outside of the country but there are many places in Europe with higher medical standards who are not able to get a doctor position in Canada. Force the universities and doctors to train more people and everything will go to normal.
The government is limiting the number of positions, not "the doctors".

Why in Germany they have double of number of doctors per 100k than Canada and they are paid 30-50% of what doctors are paid in Canada?
Because you could just graduate HS, get a government admin job and make 30% of the salary, without all the work, stress and debt of being a doctor.

Canadian doctors can also easily walk across the border to the US and significantly increase their salary.

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
US rent

I work with young professionals in the US. They are now paying $3500 USD/month with a roommate for something decent and looking online a 1 bedroom in a sketchy area is $1800 USD/month and I've also heard the same from talking to young min wage workers.

Also many of the young professionals I work with were forced to move due to the landlord selling or increasing rent. The few who bought had to basically outbid everyone and waive all conditions including inspection

All the labour here is temporary foreign workers on unpaid overtime or working 2-3 jobs. Don't forget this is transitory and it's good for GICs. Your kids will own nothing and they'll love it!

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
^ the housing situation is not good by any means.

Renters are in deep trouble because the homeowners/landlords are in deep trouble lol

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Summer vacations and vacation pay.
From april - june?
The numbers looked even worse in Q1 as can be seen on the table. Is your theory also 'summer vacation' for January-March?
When does summer start according to your calendar?
Those numbers are also yoy, but maybe in last year's version of your calendar summer vacation also switched place

·
Registered
19,975 Posts
The report says July compared to July.

Many industries shut down in the summer vacation and perform maintenance work or assembly line change overs for new models.

Vacation pay is often paid out in one large payment in July.

Nothing to see here…move along.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The report says July compared to July.

Many industries shut down in the summer vacation and perform maintenance work or assembly line changeovers for new models.

Vacation pay is often paid out in one large payment in July.

Nothing to see here…move along.
It is quarterly and not monthly....
It is a year over year......

You are fantastic at denying basic facts and lying though. Are you liberal staffer or something?
Your knowledge and attitude to truth would fit right in

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Nasdaq is US…..see Honest Joe Biden.

Canada is doing very well….⭐
Yes, those numbers are for US. Canada didn't release Q2 numbers yet.
They released Q4 and Q1. For both productivity dropped and labor cost increased

But Canada isn't doing well.
Productivity dropped in both previous quarters as well.
Labor cost increased in both previous quarters as well

Productivity drop + labor cost increase = inflation

·
Registered
7,674 Posts
Market is pumping on the latest CPI starting to come down

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
The headlines number do look much better.

The concerning part remains food. YoY up 10.9%, fastest since 1979.

The inflation itself has probably peaked with the baseline moving considerably higher, but food is likely to continue to go up due to higher cost of inputs and lunacy of some governments that want to limit food production

·
Registered
890 Posts
The headlines number do look much better.

The concerning part remains food. YoY up 10.9%, fastest since 1979.

The inflation itself has probably peaked with the baseline moving considerably higher, but food is likely to continue to go up due to higher cost of inputs and lunacy of some governments that want to limit food production
Agreed, Will need to see that one break, or other categories to go negative to move it lower. Food month over month 1.1%, which is 12.7% annualized.

1001 - 1020 of 1362 Posts