Canadian Money Forum banner
981 - 1000 of 1015 Posts

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
I've already got a ticket and lost points on my driver's license because I was in the wrong way of a one-way street with my bike.

What I don't get is that you need a driver's license to drive a car and you'll lose points if you don't follow the rules, that makes sense, but you don't need a driver's license to drive a bike and yet you'll also lose points on your driver's license for cars if you don't follow the rules... but other cyclists without a driver's license only get to pay the ticket, as they cannot lose points.
I had no idea you could lose points for bike infractions. That's insane.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Don't know if that's only in Quebec, but yup.

Oh, I've just read that they've changed it in 2018 so you can't lose points anymore, thanks god that was so stupid.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
They hadn't separated church and state yet so yes thank god

Thank god for language police as well. Ins'allah as god wills
Haha I would actually never use the word "God" in French, I guess I was simply lacking of a better expression in English.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I've already got a ticket and lost points on my driver's license because I was in the wrong way of a one-way street with my bike.

What I don't get is that you need a driver's license to drive a car and you'll lose points if you don't follow the rules, that makes sense, but you don't need a driver's license to drive a bike and yet you'll also lose points on your driver's license for cars if you don't follow the rules... but other cyclists without a driver's license only get to pay the ticket, as they cannot lose points.
If you can't operate a vehicle in accordance with the rules, it will show up on your drivers license. That's why I don't drink in my canoe.
This is "easy" as the traffic violation is provincial and the drivers license is also provincial.
But your pilots license or boating license is federal, so the province can't touch them.

If you're driving the wrong way down a one way street OF COURSE you should get a ticket.
FYI, in Ontario bicycles are vehicles as far as traffic laws, I'm not sure about QC.
Lots of car drivers don't think bikes belong on the road and treat them horribly, but many bike riders don't think the law applies to them either. I find e-bikes tend to be even worse.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
All the kids in my neighbourhood zip around on e-bikes now

They can move as fast if not faster than traffic on the winding community streets

But they're silent and much harder to spot
Yes, and with the re-introduction of photo-radar, they're going FASTER than the cars, while often ignoring many of the rules of the road.
I think that they really should be licensing many of these vehicles, you need a license for a moped, why not for a similarly powerful e-bike.

In reality several of them are simply low speed motorcycles and should be treated as such.

I think the problem comes on the dividing line between a motorcycle and a motorized wheelchair.

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
Yes, and with the re-introduction of photo-radar, they're going FASTER than the cars, while often ignoring many of the rules of the road.
I think that they really should be licensing many of these vehicles, you need a license for a moped, why not for a similarly powerful e-bike.

In reality several of them are simply low speed motorcycles and should be treated as such.

I think the problem comes on the dividing line between a motorcycle and a motorized wheelchair.
I had to get a driver license and helmet for a 50cc scooter and I could only start that road/written test and inspections at 14.

These kids are younger and moving faster and lighter with bicycle helmet if any at all. Not sure if they even have signal lights. They also zip on/off road unexpectedly

I envy them though. I can only imagine how much freedom they have. Not yelling at the kids to get off my lawn yet 😅

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
Oil royalties are up 283%, the deficit and debt is being paid down, Ontario alone needs 45,000 healthcare workers trained for employment, huge investments in EV manufacturing will create tens of thousands of jobs in the next year, and unemployment is at record low 4-5%% levels.

But never mind any of that......Trudeau's government is doing really bad with the economy.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Hmm, if we only had immigration system that doesn't have thousands of health care workers in backlog - stopping them from working and helping out.

But unfortunately federal government can't run a passport office let alone immigration center so alas - no healthcare workers for Canadians.

And you must be high if you give current government credit for oil revenue

·
Registered
19,509 Posts

Does the same apply to Alberta who said they balanced their budget due to higher oil revenues ?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts

Does the same apply to Alberta who said they balanced their budget due to higher oil revenues ?
Yes. The current government of Alberta doesn't get credit for higher royalty revenues.

They only can get credit if they are able to attract significant investment in the sector that will pay off in the future.
Royalty revenues are simply benefit of past governments attracting investment into the province.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Hmm, if we only had immigration system that doesn't have thousands of health care workers in backlog - stopping them from working and helping out.
It's not immigration.

We don't have the capability to vet and train immigrants from some countries.
This gatekeeping is very important

I know many people who work in various regulated professions and you have to understand the real situation.
1. There are many high quality capable professionals.
- From some countries it is relatively easy to get those credentials recognized in the various provinces.
2. There are some "Professionals" that are various levels of not acceptable.
- Some simply buy their credentials, and don't actually have the skills.
- They may also be from wealthy or powerful families, so they simply buy the status of being a doctor.
- Some countries medical standards are not equivalent.
3. Our medical professional training pipeline is overloaded, we've needed serious investment here for decades.

Honestly while some of the "doctors" driving cabs might be legitimate, I don't think many are actually "doctors" by our standards

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
A family member was trying to get through qualifications process in Canada.
It is a pain in the ***, not because it is strenuous, because you have to sometimes do extra studies, pass exams, etc. - it is a pain in the *** because it literally takes years to even get a response for what you actually have to do.

So yes, the gatekeeping is very important but the process needs to improve in order to evaluate credentials faster, so professionals know what to do in order to get credentials in Canada.

However, the specific article posted is referring to immigration, and that was the topic. The professional qualifications are whole other issue, but you can't start it until you have immigration process settled.

981 - 1000 of 1015 Posts