Canadian Money Forum banner
961 - 980 of 1015 Posts

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Yeah, because farmers like to spend money on fertilizer as a hobby - not to increase food production......
Jesus, you are truly an idiot

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
When cost to produce feed increase farmers thin their herds

This is simple for most to see but some impacts take time as you can't just bring herds back up to size overnight

Animals take time to reproduce and mature

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
A 30% reduction in fertilizer use by 2030 is a stretch goal, that will encourage research into better fertilizers and farming practices that are already underway.

“We need to continue to drive innovation. We are going to be their work to work with you. This is not an us (government) versus you (farmers), we have a policy in place, this is where we are trying to go in the future,” said Blais. “The work done to this point by farmers is great, but we can do more.”

·
Registered
19,509 Posts
There was widespread opposition to increasing fuel mileage for vehicles, but the stretch goals and mandates worked.

There was widespread opposition to seat belts, with people claiming they would be trapped in vehicles and burn to death. The mandate worked.

There was opposition to life saving vaccines. The restrictions worked to force the majority to get a vaccine shot.

There is always opposition to progress by some people. It is well known in business that many people fear change, and sometimes it must be forced.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Yeah, because farmers like to spend money on fertilizer as a hobby - not to increase food production......
It's not unheard of for autocratic regimes to take control of the food supply as a political tool.
High inflation, restrict food production... great time for government to "step in" and "help".

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
Who Killed the Electric Car? Spoiler it was GM and the oil industry. Same reason US is designed so you have to drive everywhere etc

Yes a propaganda film will push an agenda.
The reality is that 30 years ago battery tech simply wasn't there yet.

Even with that they did make hybrids while the battery problem was worked on.

I know, you love Tesla and all that is shy and new, but as discussed before it isn't as simple as that.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
A 30% reduction in fertilizer use by 2030 is a stretch goal, that will encourage research into better fertilizers and farming practices that are already underway.

“We need to continue to drive innovation. We are going to be their work to work with you. This is not an us (government) versus you (farmers), we have a policy in place, this is where we are trying to go in the future,” said Blais. “The work done to this point by farmers is great, but we can do more.”
The farmers already do that, because as I stated:

They don't spend money on fertilizer as a hobby - they do it to increase production.

So no, this isn't progress. This is decreasing food production, increasing prices, increasing starvation. Artificial limits on fertilizer use leads to nothing but what I just mentioned here.
They are literally working to destroy food supply

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
So no, this isn't progress. This is decreasing food production, increasing prices, increasing starvation. Artificial limits on fertilizer use leads to nothing but what I just mentioned here.
They are literally working to destroy food supply
Yeah, I watched a farmer being interviewed who was exasperated that the government didn't understand that farmers absolutely fine tune their fertilizer to produce the maximum crop, and that not a single percent point of extra is used since that would reduce profits and yield. He said he couldn't reduce more than a single percentage point of fertilizer before his crop yield would be reduced. This insanity of reducing fertilizer by 30% would really reduce food production in the country.

ltr

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I know, you love Tesla and all that is shy and new, but as discussed before it isn't as simple as that.
There was widespread opposition to increasing fuel mileage for vehicles, but the stretch goals and mandates worked.

There was widespread opposition to seat belts, with people claiming they would be trapped in vehicles and burn to death. The mandate worked.

There was opposition to life saving vaccines. The restrictions worked to force the majority to get a vaccine shot.

There is always opposition to progress by some people. It is well known in business that many people fear change, and sometimes it must be forced.
There is widespread opposition to electric cars with people claiming they will burn to death and all kinds of things

As people age they oppose new things because it's hard to teach old dogs new tricks

Just like how boomers oppose crypto and electric cars today

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
Yeah, I watched a farmer being interviewed who was exasperated that the government didn't understand that farmers absolutely fine tune their fertilizer to produce the maximum crop, and that not a single percent point of extra is used since that would reduce profits and yield. He said he couldn't reduce more than a single percentage point of fertilizer before his crop yield would be reduced. This insanity of reducing fertilizer by 30% would really reduce food production in the country.

ltr
They even adapt the amount of fertilizer where it is required and less where it is not by mapping out previous years by gps

Same thing for animals. The feed can be fine tuned to the animal in many ways using tags and data

No need to listen to boomers from Toronto and Ottawa about farming

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
Lane spliting is illegal where I live but where it is legal, sure some get mad. Those that get mad and do something dangerous (road rage) need to be arrested. But this is different than generational stereotyping.
My 'favourite' are all the idiots that like to punish cyclists for riding on the road, or taking the lane. I regularly get 'punish passes' where drivers illegally pass you within a couple feet in the same lane. Same for all the drivers who get butt hurt about cyclists rolling stop signs and riding the wrong way on low volume one way residential streets. Those rules are nonsensical to apply to bikes. North America waaaay overuses stop signs and traffic lights. We should be using more roundabouts and yields

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
North America waaaay overuses stop signs and traffic lights. We should be using more roundabouts and yields
Yea Europe was pretty awesome for bikes. Lots of dedicated bike roads, traffic designed in an efficient way and kids could even play in the streets. It boggles my mind everything a bike or something is in the oncoming lane and oncoming traffic maintains speed as if I should yield or some kind of game of chicken. Europeans were far better drivers in many ways

GM and the oil industry lobbied to design NA so that we have to drive on massive roads to massive parking lots so everyone needs 2 cars and public transport sucks. I could easily get by most of the time in Europe without a car unless I needed to carry luggage or passengers. Far more peaceful and enjoyable too

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
riding the wrong way on low volume one way residential streets. Those rules are nonsensical to apply to bikes.
I've already got a ticket and lost points on my driver's license because I was in the wrong way of a one-way street with my bike.

What I don't get is that you need a driver's license to drive a car and you'll lose points if you don't follow the rules, that makes sense, but you don't need a driver's license to drive a bike and yet you'll also lose points on your driver's license for cars if you don't follow the rules... but other cyclists without a driver's license only get to pay the ticket, as they cannot lose points.

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
I've already got a ticket and lost points on my driver's license because I was in the wrong way of a one-way street with my bike.

What I don't get is that you need a driver's license to drive a car and you'll lose points if you don't follow the rules, that makes sense, but you don't need a driver's license to drive a bike and yet you'll also lose points on your driver's license for cars if you don't follow the rules... but other cyclists without a driver's license only get to pay the ticket, as they cannot lose points.
Canada has become a nanny state

The boomers got old and soft and control the votes and hold most influential positions

Lots of other good countries out there that aren't cold for 6 months

·
Registered
14,963 Posts
Uhh we already have electric cars.

Also GM was mass producing electric cars a decade before Tesla... so it isn't like they were holding back the industry.
It'd be nice if they were mass producing them now. They made less than 500 vehicles in Q1.

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Lots of other good countries out there that aren't cold for 6
I don't mind winter though, but for sure I'd prefer places where I can both surf and ski the same weekend.

961 - 980 of 1015 Posts