Canadian Money Forum banner
221 - 240 of 262 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
The success of a company is not a one-man show, that's why you don't even need a CEO to successfully run a company. And when there's a CEO, since it's not a one-man show, that's why the CEO doesn't deserve a pay of a few million dollars a year.

Prime Minister's salary... less than a million.
Salary of a surgeon saving lives daily... less than a million.

What's so special and unique about a CEO or an athlete justifying multimillions in annual salary?
I would not invest in a company that didn't have a leader.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I would not invest in a company that didn't have a leader.
What about a company that doesn't have "a" leader, but a committee of leaders?

A major CEO is responsible for tens of thousands of workers and their families on a daily basis.
But across the industry, it is pretty clear that good pay is necessary to keep top talent running large complex companies which underpin our economy.
Then why our Prime Minister is responsible for 38 millions citizens and yet paid less than a million? He has a huge impact on our economy. Plus it's an even worse job because he gets all the hate from more than half of them and needs security guards. And all the media coverage.

·
Registered
758 Posts
You are welcome for my alternate and non-mainstream perspective on the situation.
I appreciate your perspective! You're one of CMF's best posters.

The pay and the opportunity is just fine with me if it is working; it is a competitive landscape, and top talent can go elsewhere, including into private equity, private companies, or other areas out of sight.
This is the part I'm not sure about -- that it's a competitive landscape.

I think compensation committees and boards of directors suffer from conflicts of interest when it comes to executive pay.
It's in all of their personal interests to keep pay high. It helps confirm that the work they all do is Important. It also helps build a network of back-scratchers. What's the benefit to a board member to negotiate hard with a CEO candidate? As you point out, the trickle-down savings for individual stock holders is negligible.
So, ratcheting executive pay ever higher works for all involved. But that doesn't mean it's justified.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Is Pierre the MP who even asks real questions? In another video none of the finance ministers could even answer what Canada's debt actually is. I guess it doesn't matter when we have magic banker moneys

·
Registered
548 Posts
I appreciate your perspective! You're one of CMF's best posters.

This is the part I'm not sure about -- that it's a competitive landscape.

I think compensation committees and boards of directors suffer from conflicts of interest when it comes to executive pay.
It's in all of their personal interests to keep pay high. It helps confirm that the work they all do is Important. It also helps build a network of back-scratchers. What's the benefit to a board member to negotiate hard with a CEO candidate? As you point out, the trickle-down savings for individual stock holders is negligible.
So, ratcheting executive pay ever higher works for all involved. But that doesn't mean it's justified.
This is why, in my proxyvote, I always vote against Executive Compensation and against all nominees.

One may say that executives deserve the high pay they get because of their value-add, but the growth in the gap compared to salaried employees is exponential as salaried employees only grow at the rate of inflation. How does one honestly say that the non-executive salaried or hourly employee does not contribute to their company's value?

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Is Pierre the MP who even asks real questions? In another video none of the finance ministers could even answer what Canada's debt actually is. I guess it doesn't matter when we have magic banker moneys

Watched this last night. Said it before and I'll say it again - Pierre is the best.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Watched this last night. Said it before and I'll say it again - Pierre is the best.
I enjoy political videos like these. I've watched a few of his videos and sometimes there's some funny arguments like when he said we have so much land in Canada to build houses... Yeah who wants to live in the North? About 70% of Canadians live South of the 49th parallel, even though that's the Canada-US border for most of Canada. And even more below the 50th.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I enjoy political videos like these. I've watched a few of his videos and sometimes there's some funny arguments like when he said we have so much land in Canada to build houses... Yeah who wants to live in the North? About 70% of Canadians live South of the 49th parallel, even though that's the Canada-US border for most of Canada. And even more below the 50th.
There is lots of southern undeveloped land not in use for agricultural purposes.

Either way, it's not up for debate.
Canadians are financially f(_)cked.

·
Registered
370 Posts
This is why, in my proxyvote, I always vote against Executive Compensation and against all nominees.
An a honest question - I am trying to understand your perspective - how do you own shares in a company where you don’t support the management and board that are husbanding your money?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Time to lift rates to fight the inflation. No more excuses.
According to the official report released today, the labour force participation rate among core-aged population (25 to 54 years old) remained at a record-high of 88.3% for the fourth consecutive month. The rate for core-aged women held steady at its record high of 84.6%, and the rate for core-aged men was little changed at 92.0%.

For the total working-age population (15 years and older) the labour market participation rate held steady at 65.3% in December, virtually the same as it was prior to the pandemic (65.5%).

·
Registered
17,695 Posts
Home prices aren't driven by inflation or money printing.

They are driven by a lack of building affordable housing.

Home prices are the result of rampant speculation among land developers, high priced builders, and real estate fees.

We still build homes in the most inefficient and costly manner possible, stick by stick in an open field.......just like the pioneers did.

Imagine building cars one at a time in an open field, with people coming and going to put parts on it.

There is a solution to affordable single family homes, that has been successful done in the past, but no politicians are interested in it.

Home building needs to move into the 21st century.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
All your arguments existed before the pandemic sags

If anything RE should have decreased in value during the pandemic.

It increased because of money printing and inflation

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Honestly, Canada can't be saved now.
It's too far gone.
It will only get worse and more difficult.

221 - 240 of 262 Posts